Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:47:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 ... 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2435 blocks  (Read 5350114 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
BTfd2e93

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 06:18:03 AM

What I was referring to with Biffa is getting more miners here on this pool and getting more of the network hashrate. Not going out and adding to the hashrate. He (Biffa) is stating that we should go out and "add" to the hasrate and thus add to the increased difficulty. I would rather take from the current total network and transfer a larger percentage over to us. That is why I am asking after he (Kano) said he agreed with Biffa.
The reason why Biffa is correct is that if no one was increasing their hash rate, then the pool falls behind the "Diff Curve"

Yes of course adding to the "Diff Curve" ourselves pushes the "Diff Curve" up, but in reality that isn't the case,
since if we don't, then someone else will buy those miners and push the "Diff Curve" up.

There's been no lack of available buyers for available new miners for a long time.
i.e. you haven't been able to slow down the "Diff Curve", by abstaining from buying miners, for a long time.

Indeed getting large miners to move over from somewhere else is the best solution, but once we have some over here, we can't say:
'OK that's it, we don't need to keep up with the "Diff Curve"'

Well, hopefully, it will slow down here. There have been new S9s available from Bitmain for over a week now. We need to tackle this issue and stay on top of it. Glad to have you in charge and we all really appreciate your support here.
I'd expect (without much doubt about being correct) that Bitmain mines with their miners before they send them out ...

yes .. they call it "QA testing" ... lol

not to mention all the "dust" they get. .. cos all their miners are configured to point to their pool by default out of the box.  so when a newbie miner plugs it in .. while trying to figure out which pool to point to .. and setting up the accounts ... those couple of hours all add up ...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AerialGopher

Activity: 196
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 06:28:06 AM

What I was referring to with Biffa is getting more miners here on this pool and getting more of the network hashrate. Not going out and adding to the hashrate. He (Biffa) is stating that we should go out and "add" to the hasrate and thus add to the increased difficulty. I would rather take from the current total network and transfer a larger percentage over to us. That is why I am asking after he (Kano) said he agreed with Biffa.
The reason why Biffa is correct is that if no one was increasing their hash rate, then the pool falls behind the "Diff Curve"

Yes of course adding to the "Diff Curve" ourselves pushes the "Diff Curve" up, but in reality that isn't the case,
since if we don't, then someone else will buy those miners and push the "Diff Curve" up.

There's been no lack of available buyers for available new miners for a long time.
i.e. you haven't been able to slow down the "Diff Curve", by abstaining from buying miners, for a long time.

Indeed getting large miners to move over from somewhere else is the best solution, but once we have some over here, we can't say:
'OK that's it, we don't need to keep up with the "Diff Curve"'

Well, hopefully, it will slow down here. There have been new S9s available from Bitmain for over a week now. We need to tackle this issue and stay on top of it. Glad to have you in charge and we all really appreciate your support here.
I'd expect (without much doubt about being correct) that Bitmain mines with their miners before they send them out ...

yes .. they call it "QA testing" ... lol

not to mention all the "dust" they get. .. cos all their miners are configured to point to their pool by default out of the box.  so when a newbie miner plugs it in .. while trying to figure out which pool to point to .. and setting up the accounts ... those couple of hours all add up ...
Just do what I did, create own VLAN, do not give it internet access, then configure S9's then enable internet access.   But i knew that it was "preconfigured" before I got them.  They never got one hash out of me.
minergain.com

Activity: 285
Merit: 10

Free mining equipment tracking and reporting

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 06:33:11 AM

My idea would be to target the millions of workers on Antpool that just aren't taking the time to realize there are other options. So many people I'm sure, just leave their rigs on Antpool because it's bitmain. Bitmain pushes the pool on their site, so I don't see why we couldn't take out some ad space somewhere. I'll chip in on the first run at Minergain if he's open to posting it. But imagine if a graphic were posted on some of these difficulty sites where people track it, or on the bitcoin news sites, any exposure is better than none IF and only if your goal is to bring more people in. Get people talking.

Minergain let me know what some ad space would run on your page and we'll work something out. Again, I know this isn't the fix for what some would argue isn't even broken. I'm happy here at Kano or else I wouldn't be here like many of you. I enjoy the community, even though we argue, we don't see eye to eye, and everyone has their own opinion. But what I can suggest is, if I'm helping a newb anywhere on Bitcointalk in some other random thread and have a signature banner etc. pointing them to Kano, where I mine, they may just ask about it. They might finally google PPLNS and realize there are other options. Who knows, but it's worth a shot. I'm simply trying to bring ideas to life. Someone here said we needed graphics.

I also have no qualms with the site, which is why two of the graphics have a strikingly similar color style to them from the kano site. *tip of the hat* It won't look weird if they saw the graphic color scheme first, it would all tie together.
Hi guys. I am on vacation this week and had a couple minutes to check a couple  posts and saw minergain. I will review all this next week and Sorry for the show response.

And this is EXACTLY what it's about! Taking back from the corporate monsters, who subliminally slip their pool into everything.
When I made my signature back in December, that's what I was promoting for: Help the smaller pools, and the community they
represent. If, and when, you hear back from Minergain, please let me know. I too, would like to contribute towards marketing
Kano's pool. For now, I'm going to post the sh*t out of your banners on the groups I'm in on social media.

www.minergain.com - Free miner equipment tracking and reporting
Mike is a tiny miner: 8 S9, 1 D3, 6 RX470
I mine at Kano Pool, for better BTC Profits!
luxMiner

Activity: 97
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:52:21 AM

Its not about getting more miners to mine at this pool...

Instead of spending time trying to get more miners, spend some money and get more hardware yourself.

I guess not everyone agrees with you...  Grin
No I agree with Biffa.
It's about getting the hash rate up a lot.

While adding losta small miners means more hash rate, we don't want to fall behind the Diff rate rising, we want to get ahead of it a lot.
The only way I can see that happening is getting a number of large miners on board - but that wont be a lot of miners.
This will only attract a small number of miners, but make a big difference to the pool if we do get some.

See, I wasn't aware it was about the number of miners. I thought it was strictly the hash rate that affected the diff. Interesting.

I think what he means is that there is only a small number of people who own 9.5PH or higher worth of gear vs you, me, DPos2, and others buying up enough gear to combine for 9.5PH or higher.   It's easier to get a bigger fish to move over than for all of us to do it collectively.   
Yes it's very hard to get 10PHs of miners.
Heh - even I couldn't get 1PH of miners from Bitmain or Canaan when I tried to directly Tongue

yes, it's hard to get the hardware... i wrote to Canaan directly as well with my intend to commit to a batch of 60 Avalon 821 machines. their director of sales and marketing wrote back saying that he will decide how to allocate the upcoming batch, to which i replied reinforcing my commitment and willingness to fly over to beijing in order to meet discuss long-term possibilities... (i've been in and out of china for the past 20 or so years). obviously, he never got back to me.
sugarwookie

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:41:29 AM

So I don't post here much, but this has been my go to pool for about almost 3 yrs now. I love it and definitely plan on sticking here long-term, but would like to see some more hash rate here. We're working on getting about 100 more machines online in a couple of months, still working on it!

This might not be appropriate, but want to see the pool keep up which is why I'm posting this here first. Basically we have been working in upstate NY on some build out projects and currently share a space with some local miners and pull about 5 mW.

We are looking to expand our space for another 1000 machines, but are coming up a bit short on funding for the wiring and transformers we will need to put in and all that. Our partner charges $125 a machine to host currently. So we are basically looking for a couple of people that would be willing to pay the monthly fee like 3 months in advance, at some discount for helping us with the funding, to help us close the gap and make this happen. Ideally 1-2 people that could do at least 500 machines.

Been trying to convince some people in our area to allocate some to Kano-warehouse we are in draws about 50 mW so there are some big miners here, so far no luck but will keep trying. Think it would be easier to convince if the pool were larger. And for what it's worth we link to kano on our website too. If you're interested drop me a line for details!

kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 10:25:54 AM

So I don't post here much, but this has been my go to pool for about almost 3 yrs now. I love it and definitely plan on sticking here long-term, but would like to see some more hash rate here. We're working on getting about 100 more machines online in a couple of months, still working on it!

This might not be appropriate, but want to see the pool keep up which is why I'm posting this here first. Basically we have been working in upstate NY on some build out projects and currently share a space with some local miners and pull about 5 mW.

We are looking to expand our space for another 1000 machines, but are coming up a bit short on funding for the wiring and transformers we will need to put in and all that. Our partner charges $125 a machine to host currently. So we are basically looking for a couple of people that would be willing to pay the monthly fee like 3 months in advance, at some discount for helping us with the funding, to help us close the gap and make this happen. Ideally 1-2 people that could do at least 500 machines.

Been trying to convince some people in our area to allocate some to Kano-warehouse we are in draws about 50 mW so there are some big miners here, so far no luck but will keep trying. Think it would be easier to convince if the pool were larger. And for what it's worth we link to kano on our website too. If you're interested drop me a line for details!
Maybe the 10/3 BTC giveaway might convince some of them? Smiley
See the top of the first post.

I think we need to be about at least about 150 PHs to make the pool visible to large miners - but when someone can point 10PHs at the pool and expect an extra 2 BTC in a month - 10PHs should earn about 25BTC over the next month and should expect to find 2 blocks, so they'd make at least an extra 4% assuming 100% luck - of course they could get an extra 3 BTC if a little lucky Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
sugarwookie

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 11:07:46 AM

Yeah I would agree, by 150 PH would be a lot less variance, just too irregular now for them. The ones I've talked to that's the #1 thing they are uncomfortable with bc of their OH being so high

That would for sure sweeten the deal I didn't see that at first haha. That's a good idea to get some big fish on board. I'll spread the word!
overcon

Activity: 393
Merit: 250

911 IT Admin. I keep 911 up so you get help ASAP!

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 12:17:14 PM

I think we need to be about at least about 150 PHs to make the pool visible to large miners - but when someone can point 10PHs at the pool and expect an extra 2 BTC in a month - 10PHs should earn about 25BTC over the next month and should expect to find 2 blocks, so they'd make at least an extra 4% assuming 100% luck - of course they could get an extra 3 BTC if a little lucky Smiley

That's very generous of you Kano! Thanks for being a great Admin!

Donate BTC to: 1PXBBTLqXQnT9qAyWsc51XGj2GUt4WW57x
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 01:53:47 PM

The problem is the payout system...PPLNS is far too risky for any serious pro-miner...regardless of size.
There is a very good reason why BTC is by far the largest pool in the world...
One must acknowledge that their PPS payment plays a significant role in that success.

Pools switched to PPLNS because of miner demand.  PPS pools will always go bankrupt, it is an inevitable outcome.  Unless you own ASIC miner factory, I guess.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Grog!

Activity: 33
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 02:57:02 PM

The problem is the payout system...PPLNS is far too risky for any serious pro-miner...regardless of size.
There is a very good reason why BTC is by far the largest pool in the world...
One must acknowledge that their PPS payment plays a significant role in that success.

PPLNS has become ridiculously unfair. ramp up heavily favours large miners and severely punishes small ones.
It will continue to become even more unfair and riskier as the diff rises.
PPLNS is also VERY punitive to miners who cannot risk allocating there hash rate full time and mine intermittently to help reduce Variance.

I tried to support this pool many times for many months only to incur a HUGE loss in revenue.

I suggest considering changing the pools payout system to a proportional payout system.
In 5 years there will only be ONE pool..if bigger was not better there would not be any pools.

Not mining here anymore  and almost at the end of my ramping down in my mining adventure in this pool (with very negative economical balance, BTW). But I think and I share my thinking:

Wouldn't be wonderful that the pool would let you choose the reward system? At least PPS or PPLNS (maybe other exotic ones also just for fun). Sure some will feel more confortable choosing their own paying method according with the commitment to the pool or their mining strategy.

This would help me, when the Hashrate issue with the pool has been resolved, to consider to start mining here again for a while... and maybe, who knows , is not just me the only one thinking like this... Just speculating, I am very speculative guy...
clgrissom3
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1032

Carl, aka Sonny :)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 03:08:21 PM

So ... in an attempt to get some large miners on board Smiley
I'll post  this here now and then work out how to get the attention of said larger miners ...

10 BTC giveaway to LARGE miners

Anyone with NON-RENTAL hash rate - i.e. their own miners, who shows on the rewards page a "Your N Avg" of exactly 9.5PH/s or more -
yes a large miner - for any block that they find, will get a bonus 1 BTC block finder reward for up to a maximum of 3 blocks per miner.

Total BTC I'll be giving out will be 10 BTC i.e. a total of ten 1 BTC block finder rewards.

The bonus 1 BTC block finder reward will not be taken from the block reward to miners - i.e. no miners will be getting paid less due to the block finder reward.

So how can a large miner get this 1, 2 or 3 BTC bonus reward?
They have to ramp up to over 9.5PHs then find a block.

Are there any quick ways to ramp up to 9.5PHs?
Yep - if you have 20PHs then you'll ramp up to 9.5PHs in less than 2.5Nd i.e. twice as fast.
Of course if you have more than that, the ramp to 9.5PHs will be faster again.

Does this affect the ramp time?
Yes, adding more hash rate to the pool reduces the time of the 5Nd ramp.
e.g. at the moment assuming we were 50PH/s then adding another 10PH/s to the pool would reduce the ramp time by 20%

If you know anyone on any bitmain pools or slush (which is probably now a bitmain pool also) with over 10PH then tell them about it Smiley

... and cryptostarusa can't get it Smiley

Just bumping this amazing promotion so everyone who does not catch up on reading the pages they missed can see it. Cheesy
cso19

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 03:11:02 PM

That is a great idea to do something, but it seems that as of now you only have 1 miner on the pool that is more than 10 PHs, might be hard to get 10 people to point their equipment to this pool in that amount. Why not try getting folks who can point at least 100 + THs and give them a smaller reward than a whole bitcoin for finding a block. it appears as of now there are less than 70 users who have more than 100 THs on this pool.

As of right now, it seems as though if we lost the top 10 miners on this pool we would lose 1/2 the power. As a business owner if I were reliant on 2% of my clients to stay in business that is a recipe for disaster. I would rather have 1000 miners hashing 100 THs each join than 10 miners hashing 10 PHs.
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 03:16:04 PM

Even on ignore phyllonomath is too annoying.  He doesn't mine here, so what he says is unimportant and we don't hear him.  That's what the ignore button is for.
For the rest, keep calm and mine on!

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
DrSha

Activity: 42
Merit: 4

<3 BTC

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:02:42 PM

What about the small miners?
Bonus for the larger miners again but no incentive for the smaller miners.

Block bonus should be available to anyone finding a block as you said yourself we are already outside the DIFF curve would seem unfair to pay larger miners extra 1BTC if they find a block yet the smaller miners get nothing for block find bonus??

I understand the attraction this would bring to larger farms but what about the little guys.. We getting squished even more?

There is no difference between me running lower hashrate and finding a block and someone running 9.5ph we are all in this for the same reason, and to reward one and not the other seems unfair?

Bonus structure coiuld be worked out much better way and it would have more reach in the community..  Just my 2 cents but seems little unfair.

LCC - LitecoinCash - https://p2p-a.minelcc.net
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:21:36 PM

Block bonus should be available to anyone finding a block as you said yourself we are already outside the DIFF curve would seem unfair to pay larger miners extra 1BTC if they find a block yet the smaller miners get nothing for block find bonus??

I understand the attraction this would bring to larger farms but what about the little guys.. We getting squished even more?

There is no difference between me running lower hashrate and finding a block and someone running 9.5ph we are all in this for the same reason, and to reward one and not the other seems unfair?

Bonus structure coiuld be worked out much better way and it would have more reach in the community..  Just my 2 cents but seems little unfair.

Just no
clgrissom3
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1032

Carl, aka Sonny :)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:23:07 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=789369.msg30720839#msg30720839
fjtropepe

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:24:52 PM

Just no

I have said it once and I will say it again. We need a face palm emoji.
HerbPean
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:25:03 PM

A wall of whining

I'm here because I want a PPLNS pool and I don't give a shit about your PPS preference, i really fucking don't

so GTFO

Thanks,

Appreciated
HerbPean
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:26:44 PM

Bonus structure coiuld be worked out much better way and it would have more reach in the community..  Just my 2 cents but seems little unfair.

Just no

I have said it once and I will say it again. We need a face palm emoji.

And BTW, the bonus come from Kano's pocket directly and has nothing to do with the PPLNS that provide everyone their rewards.

So he can pretty much do what the fuck he wants with it.
realhayesreal

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 04:38:27 PM

Bro, I can't pm you because I'm listed as newbie and you have newbies blocked from pm.
Pages: « 1 ... 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 ... 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: