Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:55:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Aren't Satoshi's coins a liability?  (Read 3172 times)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 04:58:57 PM

it might be worth you researching more to realise that satoshi didnt just think of it as a meaningless experiment, or something he didnt want to succeed.

I don't think anyone said that or thinks that. Roll Eyes
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 12:24:14 AM

those thinking that i treat satoshi like a messiah are wrong. the reason i say what i say is that i have read satoshi's posts, IRC logs emails etc. so i understand what he wanted. yet all you can quote is the genesis block, as if thats the only thing he wrote.

it might be worth you researching more to realise that satoshi didnt just think of it as a meaningless experiment, or something he didnt want to succeed. my mindset is in the "satoshi=smart developer" not "satoshi=god". and although i call him a smart developer i know his unix skills lacked a bit. but that didnt stop him having a smart idea.

might be worth some of you reading the research and double checking it. rather than believing the summarized plot lines.

I am talking about the arguments presented here when people start saying "Satoshi meant ..."  The fact is it does not matter what Satoshi wanted, said, or did at this point.  It is an open source software program for which he has no control.  The only thing that matters is what he will do with his coins and there is no basis for the conjecture that he will never spend the coins.  In fact I believe he said you should never destroy a private key.  Everyone should plan for Satoshi using his coins at some point.  As pointed out, if his intention was to destroy the coins he probably would have done so by now to remove this risk.

Someone who spends their time endlessly analyzing Satoshi chats and IRC logs, etc. is like sitting around analyzing the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Unless it is some technical issue that you are trying to explain it serves no purpose except to turn Bitcoin into some kind of religion.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
snappa4ever

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:12:35 AM

those thinking that i treat satoshi like a messiah are wrong. the reason i say what i say is that i have read satoshi's posts, IRC logs emails etc. so i understand what he wanted. yet all you can quote is the genesis block, as if thats the only thing he wrote.

it might be worth you researching more to realise that satoshi didnt just think of it as a meaningless experiment, or something he didnt want to succeed. my mindset is in the "satoshi=smart developer" not "satoshi=god". and although i call him a smart developer i know his unix skills lacked a bit. but that didnt stop him having a smart idea.

might be worth some of you reading the research and double checking it. rather than believing the summarized plot lines.

I am talking about the arguments presented here when people start saying "Satoshi meant ..."  The fact is it does not matter what Satoshi wanted, said, or did at this point.  It is an open source software program for which he has no control.  The only thing that matters is what he will do with his coins and there is no basis for the conjecture that he will never spend the coins.  In fact I believe he said you should never destroy a private key.  Everyone should plan for Satoshi using his coins at some point.  As pointed out, if his intention was to destroy the coins he probably would have done so by now to remove this risk.

Someone who spends their time endlessly analyzing Satoshi chats and IRC logs, etc. is like sitting around analyzing the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Unless it is some technical issue that you are trying to explain it serves no purpose except to turn Bitcoin into some kind of religion.
This is why satachi's bitcoin is a liability to Bitcoin. When Satachi eventually does sell/spend his bitcoin it will be seen by many as something is "wrong" with bitcoin in some way. This will cause at the very least some kind of temporary panic. I think it is also why satachi stopped participation in the development and discussion of bitcon as he likely did not want to be seen as this kind of person

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 03:23:10 AM

i wouldnt really worry about this.
satoshi kept coins even at 1k price i doubt he/they will spend them now

snappa4ever

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:38:41 AM

i wouldnt really worry about this.
satoshi kept coins even at 1k price i doubt he/they will spend them now
I think he almost certainly will spend them eventually. He may well be waiting for more ways that he can move/spend them without his identity being revealed.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████