Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:10:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ron Paul vs. Paul Krugman  (Read 8829 times)
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:29:21 AM

"Congressman Ron Paul, in a rare head-to-head broadcast confrontation, went up against the Nobel laureate in economics Paul Krugman in an open debate over monetary policy. It was broadcast on the Bloomberg Television, moderated by Trish Regan. Not to put too fine a point on it, Ron Paul won the exchange, so much so that the cameras and moderators just drifted away from Mr. Krugman without so much as a fare-thee-well and left the field to the hero of the campaign for honest money."

http://www.nysun.com/editorials/ron-pauls-clash-with-paul-krugman-displays-power/87810/

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:10:51 PM

followup by Michael Suede mentioning Bitcoin:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/7811/ron-paul-won-the-paul-krugman-economic-debate-and-here-s-why

afai remember bitcoin was not mentioned in the original paul/krugman debate.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 10:47:59 PM

i don't understand why Ron Paul or any defender of a fixed monetary supply like gold or Bitcoin never say that money printing is inherently unfair.  it would be easy to make the argument that inflation or money printing favors the bankers who get first crack at money at 0% and turn around and lend to shleps like us for 4-5%.  how is that fair?

they also turn around and use that free money to drive up their toys like stock and commodity prices to bubble highs before pulling the plug on retail investors who are tempted to get into those same manipulated markets.  this is exactly what we've seen from the bottom 3/09 to now.

a simple argument to someone like Krugman would go like this, "hey, why don't they give everyone free money at 0%", not just the cronies?
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 11:15:17 PM

Milton Feedman said why not replace the Fed with a computer?
Ron Paul: I'm with him.

He isn't talking about Bitcoin, but he is for allowing people to use private money.

sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2012, 12:47:17 AM

i don't understand why Ron Paul or any defender of a fixed monetary supply like gold or Bitcoin never say that money printing is inherently unfair.  it would be easy to make the argument that inflation or money printing favors the bankers who get first crack at money at 0% and turn around and lend to shleps like us for 4-5%.  how is that fair?

When I make the argument I always ask the question, "Why can't I print up my own Federal Reserve Notes? Why is that punished as counterfeiting? Aren't we all equal?"

From there I just demolish any of their potential responses which are all on very shaky logical foundation.

HappyFunnyFoo

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:58:34 PM

I love this.  Krugman obliterates this dunce.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 09:31:50 PM

So wait.  You agree with Krugman's theories of economics, but support bitcoin?  Seems to me it should be one or the other.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 11:41:58 PM

they also turn around and use that free money to drive up their toys like stock and commodity prices to bubble highs before pulling the plug on retail investors who are tempted to get into those same manipulated markets.  this is exactly what we've seen from the bottom 3/09 to now.

a simple argument to someone like Krugman would go like this, "hey, why don't they give everyone free money at 0%", not just the cronies?

Inherent unfairness?

I remember struggling to answer this point a few days ago, but kind-of blew a fuse trying to figure out fairness. The closest I can get is by talking about expectations.

One thing I can see happening, is that as people learn more about money and politics, their expectations change. They no longer accept a privileged hierarchy of banks making immense profits from debt-based inflation. In people's minds, the ethical or "give and take" expectations become unbalanced (i.e.: the banks don't give anything back in return. They could all be replaced with a benign dictator and a network of post offices). Thus the situation becomes unfair.

However, I don't think it's "inherent" per se.

its "inherent" in the way the system is structured.  why should banks be able to borrow from the Fed discount window at 0% and then turn around and lend that same money to you or i at 4%?  they also create speculative bubbles which blow up and cause all sorts of financial losses for those that get sucked in.

perhaps a different way to say it is why can't i have my own printing press in my garage?  when i screw up with my investments i can just print up some FRN's to bail myself out.  no harm done.   Wink
FredericBastiat

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:10:59 AM

If you assume that counterfeiting is not a crime (essentially a free market in patterned print production), then the only concern one should have when dealing with "money stock" is whether the person your contracting with, promises not to inflate nor create/destroy credit in a manner disagreeable to you.

To wit, you either accept the terms regarding the money type, defined by contract (i.e. letters of credit, bills of lading, receipts or equivalents etc.), or you don't. But when things "go south", then you refer to the contract you signed with the person or persons you bargained with, and determine if a fraud was perpetrated (breach of contract).

All things considered, I think most people won't go to such lengths to protect themselves thru contract from unscrupulous "invisible" banking techniques (inflation, credit expansion and contraction issues, fractional banking, etc.), mainly because it's so hard to follow to begin with. And besides, it's also too tempting to want to try to game the system, since you can point the proverbial "finger" at everybody else when it fails.

They will likely just use a form of money like gold and silver bullion, and perhaps bailment thereof, because of the universal difficulty in ability to cheat the system. There is some inflation and accounting problems, but it isn't too bad, which is why gold and silver eventually became the standard in the first place.

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 05:39:32 AM

Ron Paul didn't actually mention the 0% loan thing (unless I missed it in the crosstalk,) but he kinda did come close. He talked about how the Fed bailed out a bunch of rich people regarding the mortgage crisis, then asked why wasn't the money just given to the mortgage holders (average Joe and Jane) as that would have been far more fair.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:06:13 AM

One can't 'obliterate' a monkey in verbal argument.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 08:09:35 AM

But he does. I remember seeing a video of RP saying something as "you're stealing from the poor and the middle class".

Just one thing though: money printing is not "inherently" unfair. It's not unfair if it's voluntary, like gold and bitcoin mining. The actual unfairness is money monopoly.
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 10:00:26 AM

Krugman must be the bitch of the FED.

cytokine
Donator

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 04:00:15 AM

So wait.  You agree with Krugman's theories of economics, but support bitcoin?  Seems to me it should be one or the other.

+1

Bitcoin is the anti-Krugman.

I love how Krugman hates Bitcoin, but there's nothing he can do to stop it.

I can't wait for the likes of him to destroy the USD so the world will suddenly wake up and realize the value of ( and point of ) BTC...
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:46:47 AM

Krugman must be the bitch of the FED.

or both be bitches to the same master

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Synaesthesia

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:24:17 PM

Paul Krugman used real facts from post-WW2, Ron Paul used spurious historical facts dating from the Romans (!).

Krugman came across as the more rational and calm one.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 03:23:22 PM

Paul Krugman used real facts from post-WW2, Ron Paul used spurious historical facts dating from the Romans (!).

Krugman came across as the more rational and calm one.

Well, how each person looked is probably quite subjective.

To me, Krugman certainly seemed more assertive, but in the somewhat frustrated, hint-of-barely-restrained-anger tone that many intellectually dishonest academics seem to use when their most central beliefs (especially the ones regarding Their Area of Expertise (TM)) are challenged.

Also... "real facts from post-WW2" vs. "spurious historical facts"?... ok....

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 04:38:40 PM

And why is that?
You could argue the exact opposite, if you support bitcoin now (and not just in 30 or whatever years), clearly you are in favor of inflation and printing of money.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 10:03:44 PM

And why is that?
You could argue the exact opposite, if you support bitcoin now (and not just in 30 or whatever years), clearly you are in favor of inflation and printing of money.
When I think of bitcoin, I think deflationary even though it is inflationary at the beginning.  I'm thinking long term.  Are you going to abandon bitcoin once the block reward is close to 0 since it seems you prefer inflation?

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:15:29 PM

When I think of bitcoin, I think deflationary even though it is inflationary at the beginning.  I'm thinking long term.  Are you going to abandon bitcoin once the block reward is close to 0 since it seems you prefer inflation?

Ill probably be dead by then. And I guess bitcoin will be too.
But the eventual lack of inflation is not what I see as its strength, I see it as a (long term) problem. Id have preferred a small but predictable inflation rate, but as it is, its not exactly useless, I see bitcoins biggest appeal as a transaction facilitator, to replace or complement paypal, western union etc, but not a store of wealth that will replace fiat currency. Or gold for that matter.

Anyway, thats another topic, just wanted to refute the idea that "supporters of bitcoin" could not possibly share Krugmans idea's.  Economically Im much closer to Krugman than Ron Paul.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: