Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:18:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling BitcoinTalk.jp For 3,000 USD  (Read 1372 times)
temporary7a32 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 08:58:22 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2014, 12:35:58 PM by temporary7a32

This domain name is valuable because it sits at the intersection of several important subjects:

• BitcoinTalk.org is the most famous forum for Bitcoin discussion.
  • BitcoinTalk.com redirects to the most famous Bitcoin information site.
  • Mt Gox, the most famous Bitcoin market, is based in Japan.
  • Nakamoto Satoshi, the inventor of Bitcoin, is Japanese.

I am not engaging in domain parking. This domain was purchased when BitcoinTalk.org went offline more than a year ago, as a WHOIS search can easily establish. It was part of a legitimate attempt by some Bitcoin advocates to restore the forum for the community's sake. That project having failed, despite the time we spent, the sale of this domain name will go toward recouping our losses. The price is negotiable.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 10:33:30 AM

You will never get 3000usd out of this domain..
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:11:35 AM

$3000 is way too high yeah, and I'm sure there are some country related restrictions that you should mention in the OP.

Still better than the other dude asking 21BTC as start bid for bitcointalk.info, and the BIN price is 50BTC  Cheesy
enryk

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

GreenCoin

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:52:25 AM

I don't understand the importance of those domains, as they might be useful only if the original .org domain shutsdown.

temporary7a32 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:55:36 AM

You will never get 3000usd out of this domain..

$3000 is way too high yeah, and I'm sure there are some country related restrictions that you should mention in the OP.

Still better than the other dude asking 21BTC as start bid for bitcointalk.info, and the BIN price is 50BTC  Cheesy

I am willing to go down with the price. There aren't any country related restrictions and the registrar is a mainstream one, Name Dot Com. The price I set was based on some searches of other Bitcoin related names. In any case, I am confident that a JP will be more useful to the buyer than an INFO.

I don't understand the importance of those domains, as they might be useful only if the original .org domain shutsdown.

Not quite. Someone can create their own forum to compete with this one. The name can also be used for a messaging service, product review site, Bitcoin related news group, or a store.
1Referee
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:03:37 PM

I quote from the internet

.JP Any individual, group, or organization that has a permanent postal address in Japan may apply for a 2nd level, i.e., General-use JP Domain Name.
(e.g. EXAMPLE.JP)

(name of prefecture).jp Any person or organization having a residential address in Japan can register any number of domain names.
Prefecture Type JP Domain Name includes one of the names of the 47 prefectures in its structure.
(e.g. EXAMPLE.HOKKAIDO.JP, EXAMPLE.TOKYO.JP, EXAMPLE.NAGASAKI.JP)
The third level domain can be registered in both ASCII and Japanese.

These do look like country related restrictions.
temporary7a32 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:06:17 PM

We got this domain seamlessly, from an American domain registrar, without going through any of those restrictions. I am surprised. Thank you for uncovering this, and I promise to mention this if advertise elsewhere.

EDIT: It says permanent postal address, not permanent residence, so I found some services that let you cheaply rent a Japanese PO box.

1Referee
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:15:25 PM

We got this domain seamlessly, from an American domain registrar, without going through any of those restrictions. I am surprised. Thank you for uncovering this, and I promise to mention this if advertise elsewhere.

That's weird, this is the whois log :

Code:
Domain Information:
[Domain Name]                   BITCOINTALK.JP

[Registrant]                    Xun Yuan

[Name Server]                   ns3.linode.com
[Name Server]                   ns1.linode.com
[Name Server]                   ns4.linode.com
[Name Server]                   ns2.linode.com
[Signing Key]                   

[Created on]                    2013/10/06
[Expires on]                    2014/10/31
[Status]                        Active
[Last Updated]                  2013/10/07 08:40:13 (JST)

Contact Information:
[Name]                          John (52514adc487ab) Smith (52514aa16acfc)
[Email]                         
[Web Page]                       
[Postal code]                   160-0023
[Postal Address]                6-6-2 Nishishinjuku
                                Tokyo
[Phone]                         +1.2179904444
[Fax]

Either you are Japanese, or the address details you entered are fake, or the domain is registered with the registrars address details assuming they have an office or atleast a postall address over there.
temporary7a32 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:18:51 PM

Either you are Japanese, or the address details you entered are fake, or the domain is registered with the registrars address details assuming they have an office or atleast a postall address over there.

The hash numbers after John and Smith suggest that it was registered by some sort of automated process, but the address checks out on Google Maps. EDIT: It is the same area as in this film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Incident).
1Referee
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:29:22 PM

The hash numbers after John and Smith suggest that it was registered by some sort of automated process, but the address checks out on Google Maps. EDIT: It is the same area as in this film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Incident).

Perhaps it is the registrar that generated the address details, could be possible.

Shinjuku Incidents is a great movie Cheesy

Good luck with the sale  Smiley
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 01:06:12 PM

I really doubt you would even get .1BTC For this domain...
temporary7a32 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:41:32 AM

I really doubt you would even get .1BTC For this domain...

Selling it for 0.1 BTC would be far less than the registration costs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: