Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:56:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan announces plans to have a space elevator  (Read 1530 times)
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 05:36:53 PM

The thing about a space elevator is that to make it even work at all there'd have to be gravitational equilibrium in the structure, there would barely be any load on the foundation of the structure, therefore you could build in crazy countermeasures against earthquakes and the like.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 05:38:57 PM

Also, the construction should be somewhere on the Equator, so Japan itself is not current as a place for construction.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Mr.Bitty

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 05:44:23 PM

Japanese making big claims recently about technology. First stadiums with hologram projections of World Cup games and now a space elevator by 2050?Did someone tell them they aren't actually in an anime?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
( DICEBITCO.IN | → BE THE BANK! ←| BEAUTIFUL UI | @Official Thread | @Twitter)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 11:40:16 PM

This is just a marketing stunt to garner attention to the company. We are not even close technology wise, and you cannot guarantee a product for a date when it is currently physically impossible.
Basically this is correct.  Here's the way it goes.

Show us some working long nanotube cables.

Now show us some longer ones.  How about some really, really long ones.

Then....

Show us some tethers hanging out behind satellites and how they perform.

....really long ones....

Then the pieces can be started to be talked about being put together.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 11:42:29 PM

The thing about a space elevator is that to make it even work at all there'd have to be gravitational equilibrium in the structure, there would barely be any load on the foundation of the structure, therefore you could build in crazy countermeasures against earthquakes and the like.
Right.  And I doubt if a hurricane would even be noticed by a space elevator cable.  That'd be like a hurricane hitting something 100x as strong as steel....

However, terrorists could be a problem, because although the material is strong, it would weaken under temperature increases.
Dr. Pepper

Activity: 172

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:09:31 PM

Typical japs. All that mouth and little to back it up with.

Typical Honeypot. All that mouth and little to back it up with.

What's the problem - got pricked enough to pop out and start bitching? Cheesy

I love how you never realize the irony and hypocrisy of your posts. It's pitifully cute.

It's amazing how many people rise to this guy and don't realise what a moron he is just from looking at the post history lol Tongue

It's really hard to tell whether he's a troll or just a childish moron.

monim1

Activity: 155

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:59:56 PM

I don't know how the hell these people come up with projection like this.

Pretty sure we were promised flying cars 30 years ago and nothing happened
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:32:40 PM

Material science is one of the fastest advancing fields of technology so I have no doubt the ability to manufacture carbon nanotubes (or perhaps other as yet undiscovered materials) will be around by 2050. Nonetheless, the capital cost and political will to build a space elevator will likely remain significant challenges. My personal prediction is that we will likely build space elevators on other planetary bodies before we build one on Earth. For example, a space elevator on Mars would have much reduced structural requirements, could be built with materials obtained in-situ on Mars, and could be a key piece of infrastructure in initial efforts to explore and colonize Mars. Once the concept is proven and its benefit clear to a large number of people, it will be more plausible to try to rally the needed support to building one on Earth.
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 06:39:47 PM

Typical japs. All that mouth and little to back it up with.

Typical Honeypot. All that mouth and little to back it up with.

What's the problem - got pricked enough to pop out and start bitching? Cheesy

I love how you never realize the irony and hypocrisy of your posts. It's pitifully cute.

It's amazing how many people rise to this guy and don't realise what a moron he is just from looking at the post history lol Tongue

It's really hard to tell whether he's a troll or just a childish moron.

You have no idea what any of that means Cheesy

Ever heard of the phrase 'spit lying down'?

People who think themselves 'intelligent' these days are really mouthy fuckers Smiley With pseudo-intellectual fools acting 'non-racist' 'intelligent' and 'fair' without a shred of real experience in anything you talk about (or if you were in a position to gain experience, instead you ran from it), no wonder the powerful find it easy to control you all.

I reflect your manner of speech and tone in just a few posts, and every single bitch starts crawling out of their holes to start moaning like whores haha Cheesy

mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:33:07 AM

Right.  And I doubt if a hurricane would even be noticed by a space elevator cable.  That'd be like a hurricane hitting something 100x as strong as steel....

However, terrorists could be a problem, because although the material is strong, it would weaken under temperature increases.
I would think that even a small impact towards the bottom of the elevator would have a huge impact on the upper "levels" of the elevator as the higher up it goes, the more it will need to be able to move

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
nidhish

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 06:47:56 AM

Awesome ! but by 2050 i will be around 60  Cry i'll be too old to play with them.  Cry
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: