Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:13:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter Prisma (>=1.4 T/device, 0.75-0.78 W/G, <1 BTC/T, October Shipping)  (Read 107966 times)
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 05:38:29 AM

When using a RPi, I'd recommend to keep a fully configured second RPi ready to go so in case the first one dies it is a simple plugging exercise to get back mining quickly. (Just make a full backup of the SD card once everything is set up and runs as it should).

If you can't spare that extra 35$, at the very least keep a second SD card ready.

Better yet, immediately exchange any class-6 or lower cards for a class-10. It will help protect the OS during any power outtages, whereas the cheap class4 cards almost always end up being corrupted by a power blip

I don't recall talking about SD card classes. What do you mean change immediately? You can purchase any SD card type for your RPi as you wish to begin with. You make a fair point though, but still: if you only have one class 10 card and it fails and you don't have a backup, your downtime still is longer than if you had a back up ready to go.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Master One

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Wanna buy a Tesla? Visit TeslaBargain.com first!

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 07:10:40 AM

That's really cool! I'm reading about the Cubieboard now. Why did you choose that platform instead of the Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black? It seems a bit more expensive than even the BBB and has functionality (Bluetooth, wifi) that we probably wouldn't need really on a miner controller.

+1

From what I've seen so far the BeagleBone Black should be the Soc suited best for that purpose.

A ready to use image for the BeagleBone Black with the new official cgminer supporting the Prisma + Minera would be it!

P.S. Don't look at me, I've neither a BeagleBone Black nor a Prisma yet.  Wink

praeluceo

Activity: 123

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 03:57:30 PM

That's really cool! I'm reading about the Cubieboard now. Why did you choose that platform instead of the Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black? It seems a bit more expensive than even the BBB and has functionality (Bluetooth, wifi) that we probably wouldn't need really on a miner controller.

+1

From what I've seen so far the BeagleBone Black should be the Soc suited best for that purpose.

A ready to use image for the BeagleBone Black with the new official cgminer supporting the Prisma + Minera would be it!

P.S. Don't look at me, I've neither a BeagleBone Black nor a Prisma yet.  Wink

I have a BBB, and I've taken a look at minepeon 0.3 for it. I may give it a shot getting set up. I prefer bfgminer, and that is what minepeon uses, but the Prisma will likely require the most recent build of cgminer, we'll have to see if Luke Jr. is able to add Prisma support to bfgminer or not, but I'll probably install minepeon on my BBB, then git clone cgminer and ckpool, and play with trying to get the minepeon UI to talk to that. I don't know though, my goal wasn't for UI stuff, just to get the mining working. If Master One has an image that'll get close to working, I can test a build for the BBB, but I'm not going to buy a Cubieboard right now. I don't know, I'll have to play around with things. I have specific needs for pool support which might result in a really hacky setup when I get done.
Master One

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 04:03:53 PM

I have a BBB, and I've taken a look at minepeon 0.3 for it. I may give it a shot getting set up. I prefer bfgminer, and that is what minepeon uses, but the Prisma will likely require the most recent build of cgminer, we'll have to see if Luke Jr. is able to add Prisma support to bfgminer or not, but I'll probably install minepeon on my BBB, then git clone cgminer and ckpool, and play with trying to get the minepeon UI to talk to that. I don't know though, my goal wasn't for UI stuff, just to get the mining working. If Master One has an image that'll get close to working, I can test a build for the BBB, but I'm not going to buy a Cubieboard right now. I don't know, I'll have to play around with things. I have specific needs for pool support which might result in a really hacky setup when I get done.

I don't know what it's about Minepeon because Minera seems look way better, is constantly updated and worked on (Minepeon hasn't been updated for quite a while last time I checked), so that's the web-GUI I'd prefer.

Does bfgminer have any advantages over cgminer?

But as said, I don't have any SoC hardware nor a miner yet, I'm just gathering info and I'm tempted to go for a bunch of Prismas and s BBB to get started (don't get me started about ROI, I know, but my intention was to get a few miners to assist heating the house during winter). Smiley

praeluceo

Activity: 123

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 04:12:21 PM

I don't know what it's about Minepeon because Minera seems look way better, is constantly updated and worked on (Minepeon hasn't been updated for quite a while last time I checked), so that's the web-GUI I'd prefer.

Does bfgminer have any advantages over cgminer?

But as said, I don't have any SoC hardware nor a miner yet, I'm just gathering info and I'm tempted to go for a bunch of Prismas and s BBB to get started (don't get me started about ROI, I know, but my intention was to get a few miners to assist heating the house during winter). Smiley

I prefer bfgminer's UI, but that's personal preference. I've also used bfgminer as a proxy for early non-stratum miners, so I'm familiar with that, and I don't believe cgminer has a stratum proxy. This is relevant, because if the Tube really is screwing up Extranonce2_size and requesting higher diff shares from a vardiff pool (like Eligius), then bfgminer can hopefully clean some of that up (set a minimum share, run the hardware through its stratum proxy to sanitize the shares, etc).

Also, bfgminer supports load-balancing between pools, and for our purposes that's a really important feature to ensure each party to our purchase receives the hashrate they paid for.

As far as minera vs. minepeon I don't have a huge opinion, I'm currently running a gridseed against a Pi running Hashra. I've tried a couple, but Hashra was the first one I got working with the Gridseed-80, so I stopped there due to the need to immediately begin mining. It's okay, but has some weird quirks and instabilities. I can take a look at minera, but primarily I'm not concerned with the UI, as much as I am with keeping miner uptime and delivering the functionality I require.
mikep2012

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:18:50 PM

meanwhile, anyone got news on tracking #?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████▄▄
    ▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
   ██████ ▄████▀  ▄███████
  ████████████   ██████████
 ▐██████████▀  ▄███████████▌
 ██████████   █████▀████████
 ████████▀  ▄████▀  ███████▌
  ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
   ████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
    ▀████████▄  ▄███████▀
      ▀▀█████████████▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████▄▄
    ▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
   ██████ ▄████▀  ▄███████
   ████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
    ▀████████▄  ▄███████▀
      ▀▀█████████████▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ANN THREAD
▬▬▬▬
BOUNTY
TWITTER
▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK
SLACK
▬▬▬▬
TELEGRAM
MEDIUM
▬▬▬▬
LINKEDIN
           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████▄▄
    ▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
   ██████ ▄████▀  ▄███████
   ████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
    ▀████████▄  ▄███████▀
      ▀▀█████████████▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sdjernes

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 03:40:13 AM

For those who care.

I am working on building the CubieTruck A20 image for use with the Block Erupter Tube / Prisma.

Here is the update of where I am:

1. Using the Cubean build system from http://www.igorpecovnik.com/2013/12/24/cubietruck-debian-wheezy-sd-card-image

2. SD Card image will be built with cgminer (latest).

As soon as I have a working image I will post w/ md5 sums

That's really cool! I'm reading about the Cubieboard now. Why did you choose that platform instead of the Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black? It seems a bit more expensive than even the BBB and has functionality (Bluetooth, wifi) that we probably wouldn't need really on a miner controller. Personally I'm considering using a VM on a regular server to control my Prismas, but I really want to get mining on Eligius with them, so I'm looking at using bfgminer in proxy mode, or ckpool for that. I'm really hoping these ship soon, and that it's relatively straight-forward to get them running under Linux, otherwise I'll just use the controllers they come with, and point -those- at my computer's proxy. I've read a lot about the regular AM Tubes not working on many pools due to the mishandling of Extranonce2_size and low-difficulty shares, hopefully the Prismas won't be quite as problematic.

I have an RPi and had several problems with it's Ethernet connected to USB and timing. The BBB seamed to be a glorified RPi with very similar performance. Yes, the CubieTruck has extra stuff we will never use but so does the RPi and BBB. What would I ever do with a composit video output or sound. The CubieTruck at least has a VGA port that makes it easier to hook up to a KVM. I think for some users the WiFi will be useful, those who use the WiFi on an S1 (aka don't have cable to the mining room).

Also, I saw an image of the USB to UART adapter on the forum, and someone earlier posted a question about it too. Will these come with that adapter? And does anyone know how many will be required per set? Would it be one USB<->UART adapter per Tube, per 4 Tubes? And if it really is 1 per 4 Tubes, then could 3 of them attached to a single computer operate all 10 in an order? Hopefully the cable I use for Arduino work will work with the Tube, but I'd rather not have to buy 10 of them to run 10 Tubes, the overhead on these is already stacking up. For reference, this is close to what I have:
http://www.adafruit.com/product/954

From what I understand, a single USB controller (dongle thing) should control up to 8 units (full Prisma with 4 boards). However I don't know how smart this is, as to the best of my knowledge this would this would show up as one device to CGminer. You will have a hard time diagnosing if a single unit is failing.
naituida

Activity: 18

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:16:30 AM

A single USB controller can control up to 4 units (full Prisma with 4 boards). Detailed info of each board can be found with cgminer api.
vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:38:48 AM

are they still shipping those or ... Huh?
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 07:32:03 AM

still no one have a physical unit yet ! grrrrrr can't wait to see some pix & reviews especially the new controller with cgminer running
hashie

Activity: 322

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 07:44:48 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 08:08:17 AM by hashie

Looking forward to hashing with the Prisma Smiley

-Sahra

Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 12:56:04 PM

still no one have a physical unit yet ! grrrrrr can't wait to see some pix & reviews especially the new controller with cgminer running
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=819932.msg9217785#msg9217785

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
Master One

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 03:40:58 PM

A single USB controller can control up to 4 units (full Prisma with 4 boards). Detailed info of each board can be found with cgminer api.

Info in the OP says 8 devices = 32 units, same as with the Tube, because each hashing board has a 5 bit DIP switch = 32 different addresses.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:27:29 PM

That's a review unit for some publicist. That shouldn't count. Customer units should count!

tutorialevideo
Legendary

Activity: 1161

Don`t invest more than you can afford to lose

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 06:02:16 PM

That's a review unit for some publicist. That shouldn't count. Customer units should count!

your right! whainting for real review!

Hosting Bitcoin and any mining gear in Europe/Romania.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5228685.msg53918147#msg53918147

For more info you can write me!
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 07:59:02 PM

yeah not a real review . . . at least some pix though thx for the link. but yet still not in any customers hands afaik.

would like to see it working with cubie,rpi,bbb + cgminer + no limitations or issues at any pools.

if all of the above works well it's gonna kick some butts !
naituida

Activity: 18

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 04:55:28 AM

Info in the OP says 8 devices = 32 units, same as with the Tube, because each hashing board has a 5 bit DIP switch = 32 different addresses.

As I tested, each prisma board would be identified as two boards (seems they purposely do this to make it compatible with ethernet controller). Also the 5th bit on switch is ignored by prisma board. So it's 16 prisma boards or 32 tube boards.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:08:55 AM

fwiw, cybtc's review of a Prisma is now up:
“烤猫棱镜”比特币矿机彩云评测
( Google Translate that - it does only a mildly terrible translation )

davecoin

Activity: 816

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 04:29:08 PM

"Mining machine at a distance of one meter, the measured noise about 80dBa."

For reference, I've seen SPTech SP10 measured between 68-76dBa.  Not that I don't trust his meter, but can anyone else verify that the prisma is really that loud?
tutorialevideo
Legendary

Activity: 1161

Don`t invest more than you can afford to lose

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 04:34:18 PM

Anyoane get a tracking number or some reviews on a prisma?

Hosting Bitcoin and any mining gear in Europe/Romania.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5228685.msg53918147#msg53918147

For more info you can write me!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: