Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:17:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Price of contemporary art skyrockets.  (Read 2415 times)
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 11:27:04 PM

Before I got into crypto one of my hobbies was buying and selling antique photos, if you want to talk about something that is booming and holds their value, old civil war/old west daguerrotypes & ambrotypes are where it's at and they are becoming harder and harder to find for an affordable price.

Also I've noticed antique Chinese photos and porcelain attracting buyers too, think new wealth buying their heritage back from the west.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bl4kjaguar

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 11:40:00 PM

The Commission investigation into the scam began in January 2000 when Christie's first approached the US Department of Justice and the Brussels authorities offering evidence of the cartel.

So the authorities allowed this scam to cointinue for over 14 years?  Huh

1CuUwTT21yZmZvNmmYYhsiVocczmAomSVa
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:01:40 PM

I have graduated arts school. I have never understood why people would park their money into art (being it contemporary or classical). Why would someone put money in art as investment?

I cannot see why a Rembrant is more valuable than a good copy or how can you measure the price of a painting. For someone it might worth 10,000 for someone it wouldn't worth 100.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Traffic4u

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:05:08 AM

I have graduated arts school. I have never understood why people would park their money into art (being it contemporary or classical). Why would someone put money in art as investment?

I cannot see why a Rembrant is more valuable than a good copy or how can you measure the price of a painting. For someone it might worth 10,000 for someone it wouldn't worth 100.
It is very difficult to measure what a specific piece of art is worth. In reality it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it (and the market is very illiquid).

I believe the primary reason the people buy art is to be able to look at it and have it on display. Being able to look at a specific piece of art made by a famous artist is what gives art it's value. If people were to have additional excess money to spend on art then the overall price of art will increase.
RonPaulBTC

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:02:02 PM

It's the same as anything else. Value is an human concept, if a lot of humans are willing to pay 10K for a painting, then it has that value. It's all about cache of the artist and whatnot. Why is Justin Bieber a multimillon making machine? because of his cache and big demand for him.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:38:57 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 03:19:17 PM by yayayo

It's the same as anything else. Value is an human concept, if a lot of humans are willing to pay 10K for a painting, then it has that value. It's all about cache of the artist and whatnot. Why is Justin Bieber a multimillon making machine? because of his cache and big demand for him.

The art scene is populated with lots of individuals that (ab)use possession of art as means to impress others and to portray themselves as intellectuals. So conversing about art is a great way to distinguish oneself from the "primitive masses" that don't have the capital and knowlegde to take part in this exquisite hobby. The vast majority of contemporary artwork does neither exhibit special technical nor creative ability. There are a few exceptions though.

So an investment in contemporary art is extremely speculative, because you bet on trends among the wealthy.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:33:31 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/record-breaking-contemporary-art-103321463.html

The proper way to read pieces like this is to understand that the price of art is difficult for governments to manipulate unlike gold, fiat, or even crypto to some extent.  The rich are parking their money in art not as an investment but just as a place to hold value.  When the price of art is rising, understand that the art isn't necessarily getting more valuable but its price in fiat is changing as a hidden sign of inflation.

Do you think the art market isn't or can't be manipulated? It makes much more sense to manipulate something that has a purely subjective value, like collectibles, art, antiques, etc., than something that produces an objective income, like the stock market.

Take a look at the following documentary if you are interested (that's just the first part, I can't find a complete video in English):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5KS7U9aOc

a447513372

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:11:59 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/record-breaking-contemporary-art-103321463.html

The proper way to read pieces like this is to understand that the price of art is difficult for governments to manipulate unlike gold, fiat, or even crypto to some extent.  The rich are parking their money in art not as an investment but just as a place to hold value.  When the price of art is rising, understand that the art isn't necessarily getting more valuable but its price in fiat is changing as a hidden sign of inflation.

Do you think the art market isn't or can't be manipulated? It makes much more sense to manipulate something that has a purely subjective value, like collectibles, art, antiques, etc., than something that produces an objective income, like the stock market.

Take a look at the following documentary if you are interested (that's just the first part, I can't find a complete video in English):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5KS7U9aOc

There is some non-speculative value in art as people like to buy art to be able to look at it and for it's prestige and to impress people that visit their home.

I do agree that the prices of art can easily be manipulated as it is generally very illiquid and does not trade very often and is very hard to accurately price 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███
▀▀▀▀           █████████       ▄█ ███▀
 ██████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███
  ██████████████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄  ▀▄▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▀
     ▀████▄ ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████▀
       ▀▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀▀

████                ▄████
    ████████████████                ████   ▄▄███████████████          ▄█████▀
   ██████████████████               ██▀▀ ██████████████████        ▄█████▀
             ▀████████             ███ ████▀                    ▄█████▀
             ▄█████████            ██▀ ███▀                  ▄█████▀
             ████ ▀████           ███ ████▄               ▄█████▀
             ████  ████           ███▄ ██████████████▀ ▄█████▀
            ████  ▄████           ████  ▀████████████▄ ▀█████▄
            ████ ▄████           ████               ▀██▄  █████▄
            ████████▀            ████               ▄████   █████▄
           ███████▀            ███▀              ▄█████▀     █████▄
 ██████████████████████████████ ███ ▄█████████████████▀         █████▄
█████████████▀▀▀██████████████ ▄██ ▄████████████████▀             █████▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
BestofSR

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:52:18 PM

lars Ulrich, drummer from Metallica, bought some Pollock paintings in 90s one for 5 millions dollars, He sold them in 2003 one for 10 millions dollars. Grin

Get Free VpnCoin, Join BitNet ! VqdA2ZZWSTn6UCfCHyDjmTuA3WeToPPa9k
icemarcus

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:59:46 PM

Interesting... Will it go lower?
http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/04/the-bitcoin-selloff-continues/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=FaceBook
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: