Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:15:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Mixing Confusion  (Read 1557 times)
cryptobuff (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:05:41 PM

There are a lot of theories about how to mix bitcoin. You could use a mixing service that you trust or exchange bitcoin for other altcoins, move them to a different exchange, and then convert them back into bitcoin.

Lets say I buy some bitcoin from btc-e and I don’t want them to see what i'm doing with that bitcoin. couldn’t I just send the bitcoin to another address that I generated my self? Then they couldn’t prove if I had the bitcoin or not. Isn’t that "mixing". So why would people pay for another person to do the same for you?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4441

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:22:40 PM

simply depositing funds into btc-e and withdrawing is even simpler. the withdrawal amount comes from a different wallet owned by btc-e

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:43:47 PM

If you were to use btc-e (or any other exchange) to do this then btc-e would keep logs of your transactions. It would be difficult to trace the flow of your bitcoin, especially if you used more then one address to withdraw from, however once it is determined that the bitcoin went to a btc-e address, all an attacker would need to do is present btc-e with legal papers (generally a subpena or a warrant) to find where the bitcoin went.

If you use an actual mixer (like bitcoinfog or bitmixer) then there will not be any logs as to the addresses that the bitcoin were sent to (they at least claim to not keep logs)

snappa4ever

Activity: 374

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:20:27 AM

There are a lot of theories about how to mix bitcoin. You could use a mixing service that you trust or exchange bitcoin for other altcoins, move them to a different exchange, and then convert them back into bitcoin.

Lets say I buy some bitcoin from btc-e and I don’t want them to see what i'm doing with that bitcoin. couldn’t I just send the bitcoin to another address that I generated my self? Then they couldn’t prove if I had the bitcoin or not. Isn’t that "mixing". So why would people pay for another person to do the same for you?
This is generally not advisable because of the fact that exchanges keep logs of all trades, deposit and withdrawals.

Even if you were to use altcoins to try to hide the path of your money the amount you would pay in trading fees would likely exceed the amount you would pay in mixing fees to bitmixer (not to mention the slippage you would experience in trading larger amounts)

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:25:09 AM

I don't get it. Any electronic signal can be traced. Any broadcast signal can be triangulated. Therefor Bitcoins cannot be anonymous.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:36:58 AM

Bitcoin is not really anonymous. Once being sending, the senders' IP can be tracked down! Going to exchange, order records will be kept. If you try to hide yourself, why not choose other coin being really anonymous!
cryptobuff (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:13:30 PM

Lets say you used the tor network or a vpn to broadcast a transaction which moved bitcoin from address A to address B. Since the transaction was broadcast from an ip address which was most likely not associated to you, then nobody could prove that you owned address B. Obviously all the transactions are viewable on the blockchain but people couldn’t prove that you owned address B. Isn’t that mixing?

kolloh
Legendary

Merit: 1023

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:45:31 PM

Lets say you used the tor network or a vpn to broadcast a transaction which moved bitcoin from address A to address B. Since the transaction was broadcast from an ip address which was most likely not associated to you, then nobody could prove that you owned address B. Obviously all the transactions are viewable on the blockchain but people couldn’t prove that you owned address B. Isn’t that mixing?

Mixing is supposed to stop the tracing of transactions. In your example, you can still see that bitcoins were sent between A->B. While you cannot prove that address B is owned by the same owner as Address A, you still know where the coins currently reside. Mixing is supposed to make it harder trace where the bitcoins end up by separating the source from the destination.
cryptobuff (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:57:08 PM

What if I use a mixing service and end up with completely different coins than when I started, but then the other person receives my coin and uses for some illegal purpose and gets prosecuted. Then I would be blamed for the crime. Is this true?

I also have another question. Even though all transactions are visible, do companies such as coinbase  or bitstamp watch were the bitcoin you receive move?

Lets say I buy bitcoins from coinbase, sell them to a friend, and then he uses them to buy drugs from the silk road or something similar. Could coinbase detect that they eventually moved to a silk road account?

If so, would that mean that the guy that bought all of the silk road auctioned bitcoin would have a harder time selling them?
TheWallStreetCrew

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:03:46 PM

Does anybody use Darkcoin or Monereo or any other anon coins? Daily volume is very high on these coins which could indicate so but I have never heard of anyone discussing the results.

Has anybody confirmed whether thees actually work?

First Venture Capital backed Crypto | GetCLAMS-GCS | https://goo.gl/ER9djG
kolloh
Legendary

Merit: 1023

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:12:00 PM

What if I use a mixing service and end up with completely different coins than when I started, but then the other person receives my coin and uses for some illegal purpose and gets prosecuted. Then I would be blamed for the crime. Is this true?

I also have another question. Even though all transactions are visible, do companies such as coinbase  or bitstamp watch were the bitcoin you receive move?

Lets say I buy bitcoins from coinbase, sell them to a friend, and then he uses them to buy drugs from the silk road or something similar. Could coinbase detect that they eventually moved to a silk road account?

If so, would that mean that the guy that bought all of the silk road auctioned bitcoin would have a harder time selling them?

I doubt you could be blamed for a crime that happened with coins that used to belong to you. This is like purchasing an item at a store with cash and then the cash being given as change to someone else who ends up using it for criminal purposes.

There have been reports of Coinbase tracking transactions to known gambling websites:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2e2yxr/beware_coinbase_is_banning_accounts_that_play_on/
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:24:00 PM

It is doubtful that companies track your coins beyond the initial send, but they could. They might assist governments in tracking your coins if asked.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 04:25:48 PM

I used blockchain's shared coin for all transactions, a little more traceable than a regular mixer, but its so cheap that theres no reason not to use it.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
mlferro

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:29:53 PM

That is good

for several reasons, one of them makes you well informed about the coins that are having better repercussion

cryptobuff (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:31:41 PM

I doubt you could be blamed for a crime that happened with coins that used to belong to you. This is like purchasing an item at a store with cash and then the cash being given as change to someone else who ends up using it for criminal purposes.

There have been reports of Coinbase tracking transactions to known gambling websites:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2e2yxr/beware_coinbase_is_banning_accounts_that_play_on/

In the US counterfeit money circulates throughout the economy without anybody noticing but if you happen to acquire a counterfeit bill and spend it, you could be prosecuted even if you didn’t realize it was counterfeit. How is bitcoin immune to this? Also in the US if you have possession of stolen money but you didn’t commit the crime, then the money can still be seized.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 08:33:18 PM

-snip-
In the US counterfeit money circulates throughout the economy without anybody noticing but if you happen to acquire a counterfeit bill and spend it, you could be prosecuted even if you didn’t realize it was counterfeit. How is bitcoin immune to this? Also in the US if you have possession of stolen money but you didn’t commit the crime, then the money can still be seized.

While I do not doubt that sometime in the future police will try this. This is utter nonsense. There are no bitcoin to seize. A TX has inputs and outputs. You never have any bitcoin in your possession, just the private keys that allow you to spend your unspend outputs. Each TX in a sense is like melting one or more block(s) of metal (inputs) and creating a new one (or several).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: