Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:55:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Been browsing for months and contemplating owning a couple BTC, but...  (Read 919 times)
AtheistAKASaneBrain (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:32:28 PM

I still don't see the point. All i've learned is BTC can be a great way to store value, as in an e-metal. But other than that... I don't see why or how the average citizen would need BTC, beyond wanting to store wealth and hope it goes up as best case scenareo, just like I do with metals and other assets. Why would Mr Joe the janitor want to buy BTC? or why would he want to prefer being paid in BTC rather than FIAT?
Why would the average Joe family want to risk their hard earned money by buying BTC? How would their life change for the better? Exactly, their life is exactly the same.
The only people that improved their lifes with BTC are because they were here before it went 3 figures, that's all.
Not saying the technology is great, im just saying, I don't see how most people is going to care about BTC, and without "most people" in the boat... well, just look at the price.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Yuki1988

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 03:58:16 PM

Why would Mr Joe the janitor want to buy BTC? or why would he want to prefer being paid in BTC rather than FIAT?
Why would the average Joe family want to risk their hard earned money by buying BTC? How would their life change for the better?

Some advantages of bitcoin transaction are anonymity, decentralization, fast and low fee.

Is there any way Mr Joe can send $10000 to another person and pay only a few cents for fee?
Is there any way Mr Joe can wire the money across the globe and the whole transaction can be completed within minutes?

airwalk666

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:25:39 PM

and be your own bank Smiley

interesting topic

have a nice day
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:03:02 PM

Were very very early on seeing adoption.  Slowly we will see more sites and places take it.  It holds a value... question is how much?   No one can tell you for sure long term.  I always say don't invest more then you can lose.  But i think we will see a good long term future.
AtheistAKASaneBrain (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:14:12 PM

Why would Mr Joe the janitor want to buy BTC? or why would he want to prefer being paid in BTC rather than FIAT?
Why would the average Joe family want to risk their hard earned money by buying BTC? How would their life change for the better?

Some advantages of bitcoin transaction are anonymity, decentralization, fast and low fee.

Is there any way Mr Joe can send $10000 to another person and pay only a few cents for fee?
Is there any way Mr Joe can wire the money across the globe and the whole transaction can be completed within minutes?

Wait, you are implying that Mr Joe's first worry is sending 10K to another person (who the hell as ever done this) or wire money across the globe (again). Mr Joe's entire saving may very well be 10K and that's if you are lucky. Mr Joe has never left his native country. Mr Joe don't want to pay exchange fees, or go through the hassle of buying BTC (exchange identification and so on) for no reason.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:15:47 PM

Well people need BTC to pay for services like renting servers, buying hardware from other countries etc. when they can't use paypal (paypal banning without reason)
Bitcoin is only way then to buy many things
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:26:31 PM

Wait, you are implying that Mr Joe's first worry is sending 10K to another person (who the hell as ever done this) or wire money across the globe (again). Mr Joe's entire saving may very well be 10K and that's if you are lucky. Mr Joe has never left his native country. Mr Joe don't want to pay exchange fees, or go through the hassle of buying BTC (exchange identification and so on) for no reason.
If Mr. Joe is Mr. American Joe, he's probably making a bit under $50k per year. If he only has $10k in savings, he's probably a teenager. He'll likely make more than a couple $10k payments in his life, and probably a lot over his lifetime if he's young (factoring inflation in assuming there's no global econocalypse where even nominal wages plummet YoY). US citizens don't really do savings, though, so maybe not - but even so, Mr. American Juan is probably much more interested in the ultra-low fees, especially since there's a fair chance he's paid under the table (since BTC could be paid to him for remittances, possibly along with USD for his own expenses, BTC as a currency to be paid in would likely command a slight premium while possibly also making his employer breathe easier knowing there isn't a heavily-traced $1k money order going out to Mexico each month when, on the books, Juan isn't employed).

I'd argue, though, the bigger reason to take BTC is that we're increasingly becoming a global world with remote work opportunities, where BTC is the clear winner. Joe the Janitor might not care, but Joe the designer, Joe the coder, or Joe the international wine exporter (among literally thousands of examples coming up in the globalized e-commerce) is probably more likely, where there's a fair chance his employers don't live in the same country. An example I like to throw around is when I was working with the Let's Talk Bitcoin transcription project. Our donor, Qwk, is in Germany. I'm in the US. Our most prolific transcribers were in the UK, while others came from Pakistan, India, Brazil...... trying to make regular, instant payments in fiat would've been nuts (in many cases, we would've needed to convert currencies twice) -- but usually, each payment required no fee using BTC and everything was dead-simple.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: