Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:50:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Bounty] Update: 100BTC for 2 Working Crow Vending Machines  (Read 3294 times)
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 02:06:02 AM

If you left it out I'm sure you would make money.  Google search says $56/50lbs of shelled peanuts. I'm sure you could break $200 a year in profit.

It's be cool if states could put these around in parks but I'm positive they would be vandalized.
Just put them on ranger stations' roofs, or other hard to reach places
every city should have a few of these

one for coins, one for cigarette buts...

it might not turn a profit, but it would clean up the streets  Wink
for cities, it would effectively replace street cleaners, so it might turn a profit.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 04:46:01 AM

Also reward the crows for gold rings.  Smiley  One of those might make your cost.

So long as they don't end up dropping in The One Ring... That's all we need, is a Crow with the Eye of Sauron riding around with it. 

My precious...

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 05:15:40 AM

Let's take the OP's idea to the nth degree. You know that this can be monetized. First off, use the coins showed below

Now, as far as the vending machine is concerned...

...one can put a company's logo on the vending machine, something like...

Now that we all have our thinking caps on, which company's logo should be the first? I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this one:

Now that we have a working crow vending machine in place, video tape the crows feeding the machine with the Memory Dealer logo and put it up on YouTube, as well as all the other video upload sites.

What other bitcoin acceptance sites can you think of that could fit the bill?

One more thing. Make it out of barn wood and have it look something like this:

Global BTC

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 09:28:14 AM

I've been looking the project up a bit more, and it seems like there has been some controversies:
http://kottke.org/09/04/no-vending-machine-for-crows

REF

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 12:03:58 PM

I've been looking the project up a bit more, and it seems like there has been some controversies:
Well that killed it for me. I wonder why the tests were unsuccessful and why the professor said it wouldn't work.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 12:04:51 PM

Well that killed it for me. I wonder why the tests were unsuccessful and why the professor said it wouldn't work.
Yeah it's definitely <citation needed> for both the advocates and the detractors.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
RaggedMonk (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 08:55:59 PM

Hmmm, well seems like this project may be harder than I initially thought. 

Alternatively, if someone can create a working prototype and record a video of a crow successfully exchanging a coin for a peanut, I'll send them 20BTC. Please include your username and "bitcointalk" on a sign in the video, just to be sure its actually you.

My previous offer still stands (after seeing the good video, I'll buy it for an additional 40BTC).  I would like you to include plans.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 08:59:19 PM

I would pay for one as well, just want to reiterate that.  So that's two guaranteed sales of a working CVM.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
REF

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 12:09:20 AM

Alternatively, if someone can create a working prototype and record a video of a crow successfully exchanging a coin for a peanut, I'll send them 20BTC. Please include your username and "bitcointalk" on a sign in the video, just to be sure its actually you.

My previous offer still stands (after seeing the good video, I'll buy it for an additional 40BTC).  I would like you to include plans.
it would take a while for the crows to become a custom to this. Id say more then a years worth of time to go through all 4 stages. IF you want a machine with just the last stage thats not so difficult.
RaggedMonk (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 12:20:14 AM

OP updated

it would take a while for the crows to become a custom to this. Id say more then a years worth of time to go through all 4 stages. IF you want a machine with just the last stage thats not so difficult.

The stages are key: they are what teaches the crows to use the machine. 

The reason why I am offering such a high bounty for the video (20BTC!) is because there is now doubt about whether this can be done.  I don't expect this to be a "quick buck", but rather a parts plus a small stipend for an interested hobbyist.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 12:32:27 AM

It was my understanding that the "finished" product was all there was to it, and you stage the crows around the machine.  I don't think the machine is any different in the stages, you just scatter some peanuts around the machine... then when the crows are comfortable with htat, you scatter some coins and put some peanuts on the machine.

Then put a coin on the machine or some such and a peanut in the hopper... then when they figure out a coin going in the machine yields a peanut, there you go.

RaggedMonk (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 12:54:01 AM

It was my understanding that the "finished" product was all there was to it, and you stage the crows around the machine.  I don't think the machine is any different in the stages, you just scatter some peanuts around the machine... then when the crows are comfortable with htat, you scatter some coins and put some peanuts on the machine.

Then put a coin on the machine or some such and a peanut in the hopper... then when they figure out a coin going in the machine yields a peanut, there you go.

Klein built his with a 4-learning-stage shaping procedure, but if those stages aren't necessary, even better.  I'll pay whoever can successfully train crows to use it, however that is.  (Could be totally different design)
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 12:43:33 PM

Wow you are really serious about this! I might draw out some prototypes to see how difficult it would be. Another issue is placing the device in an area where it will be used by crows, but not invaded by all other sorts of creatures. How does the device differentiate between a crow and a hawk, or say a crow and a squirrel? You could solve the squirrel problem with a weight gauge, but what about a hawk of comparable size? Smaller birds?
REF

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 01:47:10 PM

Wow you are really serious about this! I might draw out some prototypes to see how difficult it would be. Another issue is placing the device in an area where it will be used by crows, but not invaded by all other sorts of creatures. How does the device differentiate between a crow and a hawk, or say a crow and a squirrel? You could solve the squirrel problem with a weight gauge, but what about a hawk of comparable size? Smaller birds?
necessary waste during the first 3 stages. During the 4th stage if an animal isnt smart enough to drop a coin in the slot he wont get a peanut, eventually those animals who cant figure it out would stop coming by.

An area away from humans is more important. If people are constantly walking by it and touching it less animals will drop by.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 02:04:40 PM

I guess my point is if a bunch of squirrels eat all the nuts before you get a crow, experiment over. Either that or constant babysitting.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 02:13:46 PM

Yeah, there will have to be constant babysitting in the beginning.  I don't think there's a good method to keep out other animals that would increase the complexity drastically.  Though I'd certainly not mind the possibility if someone has a brainstorm.

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 02:23:11 PM

I still think a rooftop is the best location. Squirrels don't often climb buildings and from what I've seen, crows are pretty good at discouraging other birds away from a food source. Even if there are power lines or some other easy access for squirrels, a fence made of the proper materials would probably keep them out.

Still around.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 03:14:40 PM

Interesting, you guys really are serious.  I'm interested in building this, but I'm don't have the time/not interested in trying to train the black bastards to actually use it.   If you guys just want a working unit as far as the mechanics and electronics go I could start piecing it together and let you know if it's feasible (cost wise).
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 03:26:38 PM

I just want a working unit, I'll handle the bird training Smiley

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 03:29:10 PM

I just want a working unit, I'll handle the bird training Smiley
Well I guess what he is pointing out is that the machine is supposed to handle the training, and that part of it might be annoying to create. However, an easy one would be to just make the machine work on step 4.

Or maybe the machine could handle all 4 modes, but would require manual intervention to switch between modes?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: