Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:15:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: would you be interested in an next generation ASIC trade up program for your ModMiner Quad?
YES
NO

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  
Author Topic: High Efficiency FPGA & ASIC Bitcoin Mining Devices https://BTCFPGA.com  (Read 218399 times)
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 05:07:44 AM

How do you get that out of what I said?  CPU->GPU->FPGA->ASIC->???????

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:08:10 AM

For the time being at least power consumption is most definitely NOT the most important aspect to consider when shopping for an ASIC device. Arrival date is. If you receive your ASIC just 30 days later than anticipated your most profitable mining opportunity will likely be lost and it will not matter if your device consumes 50% of the power of a competing product that shipped on schedule.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 05:08:42 AM

For the time being at least power consumption is most definitely NOT the most important aspect to consider when shopping for an ASIC device. Arrival date is. If you receive your ASIC just 30 days later than anticipated your most profitable mining opportunity will likely be lost and it will not matter if your device consumes 50% of the power of a competing product that shipped on schedule.

This I can agree with!

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:24:40 AM

This I can agree with!

Power usage is *everything* when it comes to ASIC.

Make up your mind.

Buy & Hold
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:30:16 AM

How do you get that out of what I said?  CPU->GPU->FPGA->ASIC->HuhHuh?

Well, I don't intend to mine with first gen hardware for very long. I thought most users would be replacing the first gen hardware by selling it off to other interested parties. Buying up newer hardware would then be relatively cheap when going from first to second gen.

Of course this would likely create a Gray Market that wouldn't involve any of the ASIC manufacturers.

I see there is still plenty of ideas to be innovated through. Perhaps multi-core ASIC chips with more than one viable cryptocurrency.

------------------------------

From what you've said though, it almost sounds like you think most of your customer base would stay with first gen devices for the duration of it's useful life. Sure, denying others easy access to discounted hardware through a Gray Market would probably be profitable. (Both for miners and ASIC vendors)

But....there is no guarantee you would keep your prices high enough to prevent new miners from entering into the fray. (Like the "Little Single SC")

I guess we may have to ask you to give the community a heads up when you decide to do the next round of "price chopping"?

-------------------------------

By the way,
Can I get you "on the record" stating that the "Little Single SC" wasn't derived from re-flashing of 40GH/s spec'ed hardware? I have this notion that you might have underclocked hardware from the original 40GH/s spec to make the Little Single SC series.

I would like to know if this untrue or not.

Do all "Little Single SC" come with 4 or 8 chips? (Or is it mixed lots?)
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:37:24 AM

This I can agree with!

Power usage is *everything* when it comes to ASIC.

Make up your mind.
+1. There seems to be a lack of consistency.

Fact is that fixed cost and cost of operation (power efficiency) are both factors for ROI. The most important aspect is that the device is capable of achieving break-even. Early asics will have a better mining efficiency due to lower difficulty. Also, ASICS with low power efficiency can be sold off after the break-even point to people with low or no power costs. There will certainly be a market for that.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:47:37 AM

1) When BFL's line of ASIC's hit the wild they must not consume more than 1.1 watt of electricity per 1Gh/s of Bitcoin mining speed, and according to everything you are telling us 1.1 watts per 1Gh/s is the most electricity they will use.

2) You will no longer post in my thread, if you post in my thread again you automatically lose the bet.

Now things get interesting.

I would recommend to set an end date when the BFL ASICs have to be delivered (this year in larger quantity?). If they hit the wild in two years this 1.1W/GH/s might be no problem anymore.

Josh, it's your turn - words or money?

BTW two weeks until BFL mass shipments (end of Oct / beginning of Nov), so the first devices are already on your table. That should be save money. Or it's not that save which means no device on the table and no mass shippments within two weeks...
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 06:03:42 AM

1) When BFL's line of ASIC's hit the wild they must not consume more than 1.1 watt of electricity per 1Gh/s of Bitcoin mining speed, and according to everything you are telling us 1.1 watts per 1Gh/s is the most electricity they will use.

2) You will no longer post in my thread, if you post in my thread again you automatically lose the bet.

Now things get interesting.

I would recommend to set an end date when the BFL ASICs have to be delivered (this year in larger quantity?). If they hit the wild in two years this 1.1W/GH/s might be no problem anymore.

Josh, it's your turn - words or money?

BTW two weeks until BFL mass shipments (end of Oct / beginning of Nov), so the first devices are already on your table. That should be save money. Or it's not that save which means no device on the table and no mass shippments within two weeks...

+1 Interesting point your making
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:05:56 AM

I would award inaba a "premium troller" tag.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
cheebydi

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:24:40 AM

Trolling from Inaba aside.

Tom's transparency and track record with the MMQ made it an easy choice for me.

When BFL FPGA Singles hit the market I was considering to order a few but hesitated as my GPU's were making me quite a nice profit,
after hearing about the extremly long shipping time at the beginning I decided against it.

Now with ASIC's hitting the market it was an all-in or GTFO decision for me.

Suffice to say, bASIC's were the clear choice.

Better track record, active involvment of the community, supreme customer service and a friendly go-to guy.

I couldn't care less about power consumption up there, I personally expect Tom will ship before or atleast at the same time with BFL
and as someone mentioned, with ASIC's launching time is what counts.

just my 2 satoshis,

have a nice day, props to you Tom, even tough this thread gets derailed and trolled every so often, you're representing a business in a forum how it should be done.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 07:43:47 AM

Wow, Tom!  I appreciate your generous offer of free money and I am absolutely delighted to take that bet from you with regards to the accuracy of our respective power estimates (I'll even send you a condolences cake with the proceeds).

However there's a few caveats, which I'm sure you'll agree do not alter the intent of the bet at all:

I will wager that what I've said is true about BFL's power efficiency if you wager that what you've said about your power efficiency is true as well.  You've said that your power will be "competitive."   To commence this bet, you will need to define "competitive."  How many factor increase in power consumption is considered "competitive" against ours?  Twice the power usage?  Three times?  Four?  Is that still "competitive?"  What happens if you're 6x as power hungry as our device?  Do you lose the bet then?  I want to know what you mean by competitive, and until you define that, well... I can't bet on it. 

Honestly though, after you calling me out in your thread, calling me a liar about our power... I want to know why you aren't being honest and open about what you expect your power to be.  It's simply not credible to say you don't know what your estimates are.  Even if you really have no idea at all, how can you then promise it'll be competitive?

Also, the last caveat is that I will not stay out of your thread.  You've been... shall we say... less than truthful about a number of things in your thread and I will be here to call BS when it's required.  But you define competitive and release the stipulation that I stay out of your thread and you've got a bet, cowboy!  I will absolutely wager 1000 BTC against your 1000 BTC any day of the week.

Let me put it this way. You refuse an easy 1000 BTC win (per your words) because you disagree on minor details like voluntarily leaving this thread? Wow.
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:56:15 AM

When BFL FPGA Singles hit the market I was considering to order a few but hesitated as my GPU's were making me quite a nice profit,
after hearing about the extremly long shipping time at the beginning I decided against it.

Better track record, active involvment of the community, supreme customer service and a friendly go-to guy.

I couldn't care less about power consumption up there, I personally expect Tom will ship before or atleast at the same time with BFL

just my 2 satoshis,

have a nice day, props to you Tom, even tough this thread gets derailed and trolled every so often, you're representing a business in a forum how it should be done.

+1
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:06:56 AM

Cablepair, I suggest you to accept the bet.
-he will troll your thread anyway
-you simply have to release some very generic specs (like 1000W +- 99.995% per GH/s)
-it's simple money for you

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:09:22 AM

just my 2 satoshis,

+1
+ another 1

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:15:05 AM

Power usage is *everything* when it comes to ASIC.  If you think it's not, you have no grasp on the economics of mining.
Please explain your economics of mining.  By my calculations power usage at this order of magnitude is pretty much irrelevant compared to price.

Take a BFL Single, 60 Ghash/s, 60 W.  The miner costs 1299 USD and will use 1.44 kW/day.  14.4 cents a day at 0.10 USD/kWh.  You can run this miner 24/7 for almost 25 years before you have spent the same amount for power to run the device that you paid for the device itself!  There may even be better miners to buy at a lower price in 2037, making it obsolete before the owner has spent more on power to run it than on the device itself.  If the device is still working.  (How long is your warranty and what is the expected lifetime of a BFL Single, btw?)  Hardly anyone will ever pay more for the power to run the miner through it's lifetime than they did for the miner itself.

My simple math shows that power usage is almost irrelevant for an ASIC miner.  Price per Ghash produced throughout the miners lifetime will almost certainly always be dominated by the initial investment, not power consumption.  Price per Ghash/s is the important factor.

Is my math wrong?

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:28:14 AM

At the moment, shipment date is the most important factor for an ASIC mining device. I have more trust that Tom will start shiping in 4-6 weeks than that his competitor will ship in 2-4 weeks.

My current expectation is that no customer will mine at 50 BTC per block and that bASIC will be the first device to hit the market.

Tom, is your estimated shipment date for the first batch (week after Thanksgiving) still valid?
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:01:30 AM

Let me put it this way. You refuse an easy 1000 BTC win (per your words) because you disagree on minor details like voluntarily leaving this thread? Wow.

Maybe it's not an easy win at all and he's trying to wiggle out of it?

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 12:29:19 PM

I guess Inaba can't accept the bet on the merits of BFL's products alone.
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 12:38:26 PM

If they're actually going to ship when they said they were he should just be able to post shots of one of their prototype boards plugged in and hashing away  Wink
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:08:07 PM

Wow, what a mess.

Tom,

I suggest starting a new thread for your product. Maybe you can just condense the info here into an initial starting post and go from there.

Unfortunately this derailment overshadows your great product and customer service.

bASIC will ship as soon as possible, some of us will be working directly to make that happen.

As many here have stated, power is bullshet when it comes to ASIC. Josh is accurate in stating power efficiency in absolute terms allows a device to remain "competitive" longer. Now as Josh stated earlier though, what is "competitive" ? Making $10 more per month in 3 years ?

Any sound economic analysis shows that capital cost is the most important factor in these devices. You can't just isolate marginal profitability years down the road as a determining factor. No reasonable business person would base a decision on that principle.

Tom, just focus on your product and customers.
Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  

Jump to: