Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:42:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Fatca ( Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) make bitcoin go to millions per coin!  (Read 4901 times)
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:52:16 AM

A Godzilla of money will flow into bitcoins

http://www.aicpa.org/publications/taxadviser/2014/may/pages/clinic-story-07.aspx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bl4kjaguar

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 06:57:40 AM

Can you explain why?

1CuUwTT21yZmZvNmmYYhsiVocczmAomSVa
homerjj

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 07:13:28 AM

yes, can you please explain? hahaha
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:03:18 AM

FATCA is having a real impact on American expats around the world -- and a lot of them are only now discovering what it means.

Beyond basic checking accounts, it's becoming very difficult for US citizens to gain or maintain access to financial services.  Banks in other jurisdictions are closing the savings accounts, pensions accounts, etc of US citizens because of the reporting requirements (and risks involved if they fail to comply) inflicted by FATCA.

FATCA requires financial institutions to provide financial information relating to US citizens to the US tax authority (the IRS) (or, if the relevant country has an agreement in place, to the local authority who will then provide the information to the IRS).

If a bank fails to comply - on purpose or otherwise - institutions making payments to that bank are required to apply a withholding tax of 30%.  If they do not, they are subject to the same withholding requirement further up the chain, and so on.

In short, lots of Americans have not been filing proper tax returns and now the IRS is going to learn about all their bank accounts, etc and hammer them.  Unless they can hide their money.  Switzerland used to be the answer, but FATCA and a number of other initiatives mean that is no longer the case.

Some may choose to give up their citizenship.  Others may hear about Bitcoin in time.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/sep/24/americans-chased-by-irs-give-up-citizenship-after-being-forced-out-of-bank-accounts
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:37:07 AM

I've had foreign brokerage accounts closed out on me last year due to FATCA reporting requirements. I had them for years primarily to gain access to Asian securities that for whatever reason were not approved by the SEC for trading by US investors. I've always self-reported activity related to those accounts on my tax returns so I have no issues with the IRS. For my purposes, the money that was in those accounts would not be going into Bitcoin as I already have enough BTC for my needs.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:44:39 AM

I've had foreign brokerage accounts closed out on me last year due to FATCA reporting requirements. I had them for years primarily to gain access to Asian securities that for whatever reason were not approved by the SEC for trading by US investors. I've always self-reported activity related to those accounts on my tax returns so I have no issues with the IRS. For my purposes, the money that was in those accounts would not be going into Bitcoin as I already have enough BTC for my needs.
Nothing to see here bitcointalk monitoring IRS agent, move along. Grin
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:52:34 AM

FATCA is having a real impact on American expats around the world -- and a lot of them are only now discovering what it means.

Beyond basic checking accounts, it's becoming very difficult for US citizens to gain or maintain access to financial services.  Banks in other jurisdictions are closing the savings accounts, pensions accounts, etc of US citizens because of the reporting requirements (and risks involved if they fail to comply) inflicted by FATCA.

FATCA requires financial institutions to provide financial information relating to US citizens to the US tax authority (the IRS) (or, if the relevant country has an agreement in place, to the local authority who will then provide the information to the IRS).

If a bank fails to comply - on purpose or otherwise - institutions making payments to that bank are required to apply a withholding tax of 30%.  If they do not, they are subject to the same withholding requirement further up the chain, and so on.

In short, lots of Americans have not been filing proper tax returns and now the IRS is going to learn about all their bank accounts, etc and hammer them.  Unless they can hide their money.  Switzerland used to be the answer, but FATCA and a number of other initiatives mean that is no longer the case.

Some may choose to give up their citizenship.  Others may hear about Bitcoin in time.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/sep/24/americans-chased-by-irs-give-up-citizenship-after-being-forced-out-of-bank-accounts

If you can afford to renounce your US citizenship. The cost of getting rid of US citizenship has quadrupled to $2350, up from $450. Apparently necessary to cover the real cost of processing an application to lose citizenship. In addition, US citizens have to prove they’ve been paying tax for five years and if you are worth more than $2 million or if you’ve been paying income tax of $157,000 or more then you have to pay an exit tax.
gmx95

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:10:54 AM

I would not be so excited. Majority of people do not know what bitcoin is and if they decide to dodge taxes or regulations, they will do it in some way that does not necessarily involve bitcoin.

Bitcoin and Litecoin trading platform. Up to 100% deposit bonus. Fund with credit card. http://novafxtrading.com/bitcoin-trading
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:32:00 PM

I would not be so excited. Majority of people do not know what bitcoin is and if they decide to dodge taxes or regulations, they will do it in some way that does not necessarily involve bitcoin.

Along these same lines, I'm hearing the conversion is going into silver or diamonds.
Not BTC, as OP mentions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: