Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:44:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete newbeee question - buying BTC with Paypal  (Read 1592 times)
es.blofeld (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 05:25:27 PM

Hello

I might be a little thick but I have just spent 2 hours trying to find a way to buy bitcoins with my PayPal account. I gone to various sites but I have yet to find a good place (i.e. a working internet site... most were non functional, or do not accept Paypal) that would allow me to do this.

Any pointer most welcome

Regards

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 05:31:52 PM

The problem with paypal is that paypal will initiate a chargeback, and since bitcoins are irreversible, the thief ends up with both paypal USD and bitcoins.

You can try http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Bitcoin-Certificate-NR-/280675399419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41598eb6fb

es.blofeld (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 10:28:53 PM

The problem with paypal is that paypal will initiate a chargeback, and since bitcoins are irreversible, the thief ends up with both paypal USD and bitcoins.

Interresting - thanks for the clarification and link Smiley
zenid

Activity: 52

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

But chargebacks must be legitimate. If a credit card user fraudulently pays for a meal using a stolen credit card, the credit card company does not go after the restaurant, it is the CREDIT CARD COMPANY that must bear the brunt of any fraud. It's this accountability for abuse of their own system which - as we all know - bankers and high finance are very well rewarded.

Paypal says:
"A chargeback happens when a buyer asks their credit card issuer to reverse a transaction that has already cleared. This can mean that a payment you’ve received in your PayPal account could be reversed, even if you’ve already posted the goods – which can of course be frustrating.

PayPal will help you as much as possible if you wish to dispute a chargeback, but the final decision lies with the credit card company. However you can also get protection with PayPal's Seller Protection policy."

So if you get scammed YOU ARE ENTITLED TO BE REIMBURSED BY THE CREDIT CARD company who is doing the charging back IF YOU CAN DEMONSTRATE EVIDENCE that the perpetrator of the fraud made the payment under false pretenses and that the buyer received the goods paid for (like the thief buying dinner at the restaurant). Like the restaurant owner, you accepted their brand of payment on good faith, and the understanding that they would not be INSURED BY THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY against fraudulent transactions, you do NOT get a call from the credit card people demanding a refund for the money spent on the thief's dinner! - THAT'S WHAT THE CREDIT CARD FEES WE ALL PAY ARE FOR!

So my response to a chargeback fraud would be:
1) Report the crime to my local police and get an incident number.
2) Print out records from the bitcoin trading site (if you have one) or records for any wallet hosting website showing that assets were transferred to a thief posing as a buyer.

The credit card companies might try to wiggle out of compensating you, but will concede if you scream loudly enough.

The best solution obviously, though, is to avoid Paypal in the first place for these trades, and to understand it is HIGH RISK in this respect. But whatever you do, don't let the b*st*rds try to leave you holding the bag without putting up a fight.

gamybtc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 04:32:36 PM

I see that few people in localbitcoins.com accept paypal. But they require a lot of proof and identity document before accepting.

So, if you are ready to reveal your identity, check them.

BTC : 1fDTCkVcJ7SaVnoFjA5U1xfHQVfv1BWCb
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: