Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:21:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:21:19 AM

I do not know how many of the S4 B2 power supplies have failed, but mine did.
I do not see an obvious reason.

I pulled the PSU, measured the AC before plugging it in, it is 124.5.
Once connected the fan turns
I hold the button and get the red flashing and yellow solid
I measure for DC from either V+ to V- and show 0 volts.

This unit does have the barcode, which claims that it is one of the better units.
I would have immediately connected different PSU to prove nothing else was wrong but I have SP20 to configure and some S3's showed up so the S4 goes on the back burner.

I tried to find a skinned fan wire, obvious short, etc but no luck.
The PSU is not a good product imo.
The cables are not secured well. Heatsinks all over the place, and in general whoever applied the thermal paste used way too much and did more of an insulating job to me.

I have been in touch with Bitmain in Co and am returning it tomorrow. I wanted to give anyone who may want any information a chance to ask now before I box it up.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dcweb

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:27:56 AM

Here you go.....

Limited 90-Day Warranty

The manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use and conditions, for a period of 90 days from the date of original purchase.  Shipping and handling fees to be paid by the customer. The manufacturer agrees, at its option during the warranty period, to repair any defect in material or workmanship or to furnish a repaired or refurbished product of equal value in exchange without charge (except for a fee for shipping, handling, packing, return postage, and insurance which will be incurred by the customer).   Such repair or replacement is subject to verification of the defect or malfunction and  proof of purchase as confirmed by showing the model number on original dated sales receipt.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT RETURN THIS UNIT TO THE RETAIL
STORE FOR SERVICE. INSTEAD, CALL 1-844-248-6246 FOR ANY
QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS WARRANTY OR PRODUCT

This warranty does not cover:
•   Any product which has been subject to damage due to an act of God, misuse, neglect, accident, abuse, commercial use, or modification of, or to, any part of the product, including the antenna.
•   Damage due to improper operation or maintenance, connection to improper voltage supply, or attempted repair by anyone other than the Manufacturer.
•   Re-manufactured units, product sold AS IS or closeout product.
•   The cost of shipping this product to the Service Center and its return to the owner, if the product was determined to be free of defect or out of warranty period.

Under no circumstances shall the Manufacturer be liable for any loss (direct, indirect, incidental, foreseen, unforeseen, special or consequential) or for any damage arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this product.

This warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada and grants specific legal rights, it does not extend to owners of the product other than to the original owner. You may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

Products out of warranty requiring service will be reviewed individually along with the fees associated.

Warranty is subject to change; please visit our website at http://www. bitmaintech.com for the most up to date version.

IMPORTANT: FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RETURN
YOUR PRODUCT CALL 1-844-248-6248

1. I still can't find it ANYWHERE on your website. I have looked on the product pages, support page (where I thought it would be) and the about us page.
2. I can't see in that Warranty Disclosure where it says if you use the easily accessible menu option and change those frequency settings, the warranty is the void.

I believe that if this is the case, you should be including that in the Warranty Disclosure. And the Warranty Disclosure should be easily accessible via the product sale page and / or the support page.

It would also be courteous to have a warning on the Miner Configuration > Advanced Settings page in the Antminer firmware. Something like "WARNING: Setting the Frequency greater than 200M or Voltage greater than 0725 will void your warranty!"

These are just suggestions to help lessen the confusion of customers. I only know about the warranty because I follow this thread, but a first time user would not expect to look in the forum for it.
Sandhog

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 07:07:44 AM

1. I still can't find it ANYWHERE on your website. I have looked on the product pages, support page (where I thought it would be) and the about us page.
2. I can't see in that Warranty Disclosure where it says if you use the easily accessible menu option and change those frequency settings, the warranty is the void.

I believe that if this is the case, you should be including that in the Warranty Disclosure. And the Warranty Disclosure should be easily accessible via the product sale page and / or the support page.

It would also be courteous to have a warning on the Miner Configuration > Advanced Settings page in the Antminer firmware. Something like "WARNING: Setting the Frequency greater than 200M or Voltage greater than 0725 will void your warranty!"

These are just suggestions to help lessen the confusion of customers. I only know about the warranty because I follow this thread, but a first time user would not expect to look in the forum for it.
Even I follow the thread, there are over 106 pages and counting. I too have not seen where it said changing the setting will avoid warranty. Anyhow, I have clock down from default to lesser since when it gets warm, S4 tend to stop mining and fan speed goes to near 4000 RPM and shakes. So, far at fan speeds below 3300 RPM seemed to be most stable 
macgyver007

Activity: 105

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 08:10:15 AM

Here you go.....

Limited 90-Day Warranty

The manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use and conditions, for a period of 90 days from the date of original purchase.  Shipping and handling fees to be paid by the customer. The manufacturer agrees, at its option during the warranty period, to repair any defect in material or workmanship or to furnish a repaired or refurbished product of equal value in exchange without charge (except for a fee for shipping, handling, packing, return postage, and insurance which will be incurred by the customer).   Such repair or replacement is subject to verification of the defect or malfunction and  proof of purchase as confirmed by showing the model number on original dated sales receipt.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT RETURN THIS UNIT TO THE RETAIL
STORE FOR SERVICE. INSTEAD, CALL 1-844-248-6246 FOR ANY
QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS WARRANTY OR PRODUCT

•   Any product which has been subject to damage due to an act of God, misuse, neglect, accident, abuse, commercial use, or modification of, or to, any part of the product, including the antenna.
•   Damage due to improper operation or maintenance, connection to improper voltage supply, or attempted repair by anyone other than the Manufacturer.
•   Re-manufactured units, product sold AS IS or closeout product.
•   The cost of shipping this product to the Service Center and its return to the owner, if the product was determined to be free of defect or out of warranty period.

Under no circumstances shall the Manufacturer be liable for any loss (direct, indirect, incidental, foreseen, unforeseen, special or consequential) or for any damage arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this product.

This warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada and grants specific legal rights, it does not extend to owners of the product other than to the original owner. You may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

Products out of warranty requiring service will be reviewed individually along with the fees associated.

Warranty is subject to change; please visit our website at http://www. bitmaintech.com for the most up to date version.

IMPORTANT: FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RETURN
YOUR PRODUCT CALL 1-844-248-6248

First of all...there is NO MENTION of this up to now ANYWHERE on the bitmain site...web archives can easily prove this...second of all....as a Canadian, I have rights which vary greatly from the big loophole which you claim to be a warranty...so in the case of my S3 miners which I pre-ordered 2 months before they were shipped...they only had 1 month left of warranty is that what you are implying...how does that include any type of use to establish a baseline for the START of the warranty...lawyers can have a field day with this one....this is the first time I have seen any actual writing resembling a warranty from BITMAIN and Im sure everyone else on the internet will agree that if you actually believe this to be a proper warranty, you wont have very many customers left....oh wait 15% off..do I see 20% off...like I said to Yoshi...anyone can sell a product...its the customer service which makes a company or breaks it...

As a matter of fact, if this is the case, it should be on the product information page before the item is sold the terms and conditions of the warranty should be CLEAR

This is like saying...well we (bitmain) mined with your machine from the day you bought it, so your warranty only has this many days left on it...sorry we used your warranty up along with your hashpower....it really disgusts me seeing shit like this especially with the fiasco regarding shitty firmware on S3s...that's not an act of god if anything that's gross negligence don't even get me started on the S4 issues Im waiting to find out how my warranty replacement issues go....Roll Eyes

SORRY BITMAIN YOU CAN PUT THIS RABBIT BACK IN YOUR HAT...ITS NOT GOING TO DO ANY MAGIC
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:59:42 PM

Can someone point out where in the posted warranty it says that changing the frequency is not allowed?

•   Any product which has been subject to damage due to an act of God, misuse, neglect, accident, abuse, commercial use, or modification of, or to, any part of the product, including the antenna.
•   Damage due to improper operation or maintenance, connection to improper voltage supply, or attempted repair by anyone other than the Manufacturer.
•   Re-manufactured units, product sold AS IS or closeout product.
•   The cost of shipping this product to the Service Center and its return to the owner, if the product was determined to be free of defect or out of warranty period.

It is incomprehensible (and legally indefensible) that they would claim changing the frequency or voltage constitutes improper operation when they have built the options into their web GUI, and specifically tell you how to modify them (with no warning) in the user manual.
https://bitmaintech.com/files/download/Antminer%20S4%20Manual_EN_2014.9.29.pdf
macgyver007

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:10:22 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 06:44:06 PM by macgyver007

Can someone point out where in the posted warranty it says that changing the frequency is not allowed?

•   Any product which has been subject to damage due to an act of God, misuse, neglect, accident, abuse, commercial use, or modification of, or to, any part of the product, including the antenna.
•   Damage due to improper operation or maintenance, connection to improper voltage supply, or attempted repair by anyone other than the Manufacturer.
•   Re-manufactured units, product sold AS IS or closeout product.
•   The cost of shipping this product to the Service Center and its return to the owner, if the product was determined to be free of defect or out of warranty period.

It is incomprehensible (and legally indefensible) that they would claim changing the frequency or voltage constitutes improper operation when they have built the options into their web GUI, and specifically tell you how to modify them (with no warning) in the user manual.
https://bitmaintech.com/files/download/Antminer%20S4%20Manual_EN_2014.9.29.pdf

May I point out that OVERCLOCKING is listed as part of the "specifications"
Clearly if something voids a warranty there should be a warning at least on the overclocking page but alas there is not...it is incorporated into the base functions of the firmware with multiple frequencies and voltages hence it is described as part of normal operating paramaters

Specifications:

* Chip Operating Voltage: 0.72V

* Chip Quantity per unit: 160

* Hash Rate: 2,000GH/s guaranteed

* Power Efficiency: 0.69Watt/GH/s at the wall

* Over clocking: About 10%, but not guaranteed

So by reading the product page, overclocking is a feature, not something that could potentially void warranty and as previously noted, there are no warnings ANYWHERE

Last of all...products for commercial use would imply the second handed miners they are now selling....those were not used for commercial purposes at any time  right Roll Eyes
It just looks to me like BITMAIN took scraps off someone elses warranty page and try to stick it to us here on BCT with no mention on the BITMAIN SITE....nice try but DREAM ON
I don't know of ANY bitmain products that have ever come with an antenna  does that mean my warranty is void I have no antenna Tongue
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:49:42 PM

I always recall Bitmain being very clear about OC'ing voiding the warranty.  Just because something is capable of doing something does not mean that the manufacturer cannot warranty void that behavior.

Go buy a Jeep and take it off road and brake it...they will not fix it!
Go buy a Corvette and brake it at the track...they will not fix it!

Pretty standard stuff.

ig

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
macgyver007

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 07:21:13 PM

I always recall Bitmain being very clear about OC'ing voiding the warranty.  Just because something is capable of doing something does not mean that the manufacturer cannot warranty void that behavior.

Pretty standard stuff.

ig

Since it is so clear to you can you please provide where you see this because it is not listed anywhere on the BITMAIN SITE...maybe I need iglasses?  Huh

Why would you buy a jeep if you didn't want to take it off road....and yes they will fix it...same goes for a corvette if it breaks under warranty it doesn't matter where you drive it if it is a defect in manufacturing and not negligence (if you aren't being a complete retard)....unless you run it without oil or something equally stupid.... as for jeeps they were made to go off road and corvette well I see them break all the time track and otherwise...guess what they get fixed under warranty as well....in the jeep commercials they depict a certain way of driving although they do have a disclaimer that is a professional driver blablabla don't drive this way on the road but if a product is designed for a particular purpose then use it for that...but you can use the Nissan skyline as a better example...if you use the launch control function you void your warranty...but that's in the owners manual  and mentioned during the course of the sale while explaning the product options Cool

I think what you mean to say is that if you smash your car at the track your car insurance wont cover it...and I have seen that enough times...I love the track btw but prefer german cars they don't break so easily  Tongue

Also Im pretty sure if I buy a car that my warranty does not apply from the time I pay for it...actually it applies from the time it is in my possession at time of delivery

PRETTY STANDARD STUFF Roll Eyes
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 10:00:11 PM

I always recall Bitmain being very clear about OC'ing voiding the warranty.  Just because something is capable of doing something does not mean that the manufacturer cannot warranty void that behavior.

Pretty standard stuff.

ig

Why would you buy a jeep if you didn't want to take it off road....and yes they will fix it...

He's suggesting if you take it off road and ram it into a rock, its not going to be covered under their warranty as that's not something that is warrantyable. In the same way that if I feed an S5 24V and it explodes, its also not covered under the warranty.

macgyver007

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 10:08:25 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 10:22:48 PM by macgyver007

I always recall Bitmain being very clear about OC'ing voiding the warranty.  Just because something is capable of doing something does not mean that the manufacturer cannot warranty void that behavior.

Pretty standard stuff.

ig

Why would you buy a jeep if you didn't want to take it off road....and yes they will fix it...

He's suggesting if you take it off road and ram it into a rock, its not going to be covered under their warranty as that's not something that is warrantyable. In the same way that if I feed an S5 24V and it explodes, its also not covered under the warranty.

I think hes suggesting that if you try and run your car like fred flintstone and cut out the floorboards to use pedalpower your warranty is void as well...I don't think any car was designed to drive into rocks just the same as if you take a wrecking ball to an S4 it most likely wont work either Roll Eyes

Thank you captain obvious for polluting this thread more with your useless spam which serves no purpose than adding your sig with no helpful advice once again...they should have dogie bags to clean up all the shit you leave as I have yet to see proper support from you on any level and I can give loads of examples but they are all over the forum already...does that mean if I lick 2 fingers and stick them in a wall socket and hold the power posts of an S4 that it might not work and void my warranty Huh Roll Eyes
sad attempt to derail the fact that bitmain is trying to impose the start of a warranty from the date of payment which doesn't fly in any country or planet, none of which is even posted on their site oddly enough....I don't recall reading anything about having to come to BCT to find out about warranty and support either

DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting anyone to power an S4 by licking their fingers and holding the power posts  Roll Eyes Shocked
dcweb

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 11:04:01 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 11:16:45 PM by dcweb

Well now BitmainTech have a new site design and have a FAQ section now. They have put in there (something) about their 90 Day Warranty.

Quoted from BitmainTech FAQ -

"What warranty is provided on the products?
A 90 day warranty is provided after the unit is shipped."

That's it, no more information about it.

And how can BitmainTech justify that warranty starts before the customer is in possession of the product. No matter how legal it might or might not be, I believe that it should be from the day the package is delivered which BitmainTech would have record of from the postal services. The way UPS explained it to me was that the parcel is still the senders until it gets delivered. Until then only the sender has right to the parcel and can change the shipping details, ask for reimbursement for lost items, etc.

Also why should someone need a BitmainTech account to just read the FAQ's? This seems a bit like phishing by making someone who may not actually become a customer to give their details.

Plus there is still the fact that the Warranty Disclosure posted in this thread has no mention of being voided by changing settings that are available without modification.
Sandhog

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:59:20 AM

Pretty standard stuff.

ig

We are not talking about using S4 for anything other than different settings that are available to miner on the advance option. When you buy a computer, user setting is available because you are allow to change it. I think analogies should related to computer equipment with user setting than vehicles. Nevertheless, if you drive a Corvette on the track, you do not avoid the warranty. Of course, anything that you buy and you break it, warranty is avoided. However, you drive a Corvette on a race track at 190 miles/hr and blow head gasket, warranty covers since speedometer reads up to 200 MPH. You normally don't drive above posted speed limits not because it would avoid warranty but don't want speeding tickets. 65 MPH is about the highest legal speed limit in US. But it doesn't mean if you drive at 200 MPH which is about the maximum, warranty is avoided. Unless, of course you crash into something.
bhanu545

Activity: 706
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:20:16 PM

Tried different pools, but the same 2 'x' asics failing appears again. They fail just after running for 30min or more. Fedup with it.

Today i saw a strange thing in 1 miner which was working good till now. few Asics got dissapeared in 1st row. So i restarted, then half of '0' got replaced with '-' . Again restarted and its working fine now. What is it with this weird behaviour?
my miners are not even a month old and have problems Sad

Please try setting the pool side DIFF to 2048 or +2050

You can try connecting to BTCGUILD.COM and see if x goes away or hashrate goes up to where it should.

The hashrate you see on the control panel and the poolside may varies due to many different factors.  Our guarantee is the machine side hashing rate

Thank you!

I am running 3 s4's since 3 weeks and have few doubts to be clarified by any experienced users. Our machines are hosted somewhere else.

In the beginning hashrate was very unstable and after upgrading to latest firmware, they became lil stable. I use p2pool.

-what does hard reset mean? In-detail please?

-1 of our miner has lower hash rates with 1 or 2 'x' asics failing always.After running it for sometime x starts appearing. Contacted bitmain and they said to test each blade and we did all troubleshooting stuff and they worked fine when connected to separate blades. Again after connecting all, 1 'x' appeared and hashrate is slow after 10hours compared to others.
For example on p2pool with default 200mhz,725v on p2pool with pseudo,actual difficulty set to /8192+8192, hash rates are as folllows after running them for 6days :
miner 1 : 1970gh
miner 2 : 1965gh
miner 3 : 1850gh ( which has asics failing issue)

All above stats are from antminer panel and p2pool graphs shows a different story. All 3miners work with same worker.
deadhashrate overall for 3 miners on pool is 270gh. shall i set difficulty to 4096 for a lower dead hash rate or is it something to do with pool?

- I am planning to overclock the frequency to 212.5mhz on 725voltage. Will that work or any consequences? I have seen people doing 225mhz with 725volt.

comments are appreciated. Thanks Smiley
Sandhog

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:42:36 PM

Tried different pools, but the same 2 'x' asics failing appears again. They fail just after running for 30min or more. Fedup with it.

Today i saw a strange thing in 1 miner which was working good till now. few Asics got dissapeared in 1st row. So i restarted, then half of '0' got replaced with '-' . Again restarted and its working fine now. What is it with this weird behaviour?

It appears that unlike S1 workhorse, S4 is like a bitch. It work good for couple days and stop hashing until after hard boot. It's very temperamental and have to keep an eye out. I treat my S4 like a high maintenance woman.  Cheesy

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:20:37 PM

We're running quite a few S4s in our DC and have yet to have a complete chain go out on us like this. Of course we've tried hard resetting, etc but are curious to know if anyone has any suggestions or experience with a complete chain failure before I open it up and check the blade cables, etc.

RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:23:13 PM

It appears that unlike S1 workhorse, S4 is like a bitch. It work good for couple days and stop hashing until after hard boot. It's very temperamental and have to keep an eye out. I treat my S4 like a high maintenance woman.  Cheesy

Sounds familiar. Funny is that some show some weird stats... for example when ASICs just disappear:

oooooooo oooooooo
oooooo oooooooo o

Or the hashrate is shown as 5201 something for getting to 142 the next second. Or the machines just completely disappear in the network for hours before re-appearing out of the blue....

Really like what you call a high maintenance woman...
pikachuy

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:38:45 PM

I don't know much about electrical stuff so maybe someone can help me. When ever I plug (2) S4 into the same outlet, my circuit breakers always trip off. Anyone know a solution to plug more than 1 S4 into an outlet without my circuit breaker tripping off? How are you guys plugging more than (1) S4 into the same outlet?

Like some pictures I see people running (6+) S4 all lined up.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8908

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 07:57:39 PM

I don't know much about electrical stuff so maybe someone can help me. When ever I plug (2) S4 into the same outlet, my circuit breakers always trip off. Anyone know a solution to plug more than 1 S4 into an outlet without my circuit breaker tripping off? How are you guys plugging more than (1) S4 into the same outlet?

Find an outlet that is connected to another breaker. Most likely you have 110V 15A or 20A circuit and you won't be able to run more than one S4 on it.

Running multiple S4s involves multiple circuits, 220-240V, wiring for more amps, etc.
pikachuy

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 08:08:00 PM

Find an outlet that is connected to another breaker. Most likely you have 110V 15A or 20A circuit and you won't be able to run more than one S4 on it.

Running multiple S4s involves multiple circuits, 220-240V, wiring for more amps, etc.

Can i just swap the amp out to a larger amp or it's something an electrician needs to do and upgrade.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 08:17:33 PM

Are you referring to soft restarts (interface) or hard restarts (power)?

Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: