Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:07:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:52:34 AM

I don't think the mesurement is misleading. That is what the mesurement is.  Each person has different tolelance level.  Definately, it is not as loud as SP10 for sure, but it is a different type of noise.  It is not a high pitch like SP10 but it is a noise from the high speed fan and the PSU cooling.

The noise is difinitely more than S3 x 1.  May be a bit more than S3 x 3-4 units.  Its not a fair to compare against 1 S3 vs 1 S4.  Power consumption between these machines are more than 4x higher.

Members here wanted to know the reading and specifically asked for it, so I powered up my S4 and provided 2 different mesurements. (I did the same with S3 when it first came out.)  Not what I think cusotmer shoudl know, but I try to provide what customers want to know.

That decimal reading is from 1 unit, we may try with stack of a few units in a quiet place & will have an amp reading as well.

Side Note, I love my SP10 but I can't take the noise it make.  DBA reading wise, it is more than S4 and it is high pitch.  S4, yes, I don't want to be working next to it for 8 hours a day while it is hashing but it can be tolerated a bit more than SP10 noise.  (This is not a bedroom space heater option but it can be the space heater in the garage, or basement or in the spare bedroom where a bit of larger fan noise is not an issue)

More info for S4...

To Power up S4, you have to hold a little nob (switch) on the PSU for 2-3 seconds.  Then it will power up.  Other wise, you may think it is a DOA like S2 used to be  Grin Grin Grin

Video from Bitmain as more infomation regarding the S4.  I think this is easier than someone try to word how noisy it is

It push & Pull massive amount of air!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD4vdR7ZS8s&feature=youtu.be

S4 does come with 2 server ears.  (There is NO POWER CORD included)  The box is well packed!!

That dba rating is why I stopped measuring in my reviews - they're misleading. 74 is very, very loud but at the same time you're saying its not much louder than an S3? And the video suggests not much louder than an S3 or an S2. I think its a lot more about sound quality than sound pressure. Some of my units are incredibly annoying but are 10 dba quieter apparently than others.

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 02:02:23 AM

I don't think the mesurement is misleading. That is what the mesurement is.  Each person has different tolelance level.  Definately, it is not as loud as SP10 for sure, but it is a different type of noise.  It is not a high pitch like SP10 but it is a noise from the high speed fan and the PSU cooling.

The noise is difinitely more than S3 x 1.  May be a bit more than S3 x 3-4 units.  Its not a fair to compare against 1 S3 vs 1 S4.  Power consumption between these machines are more than 4x higher.

Members here wanted to know the reading and specifically asked for it, so I powered up my S4 and provided 2 different mesurements. (I did the same with S3 when it first came out.)  Not what I think cusotmer shoudl know, but I try to provide what customers want to know.

That decimal reading is from 1 unit, we may try with stack of a few units in a quiet place & will have an amp reading as well.

What I mean is I can give a buyer two machines with identical dba readings. I can make one unbearable SP10 style, and one perfectly fine, but they will have the same reading. It makes the dba reading totally unsuitable for evaluating the quality of the noise generated.

Obviously someone asked for it so give it to them, I'm just giving my take on dba readings. And this is coming from someone who spend 16 hours a day 5m away from an SP10 for 4 months.

sjc1490

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:52:35 AM

Thanks to both as that does answer the question, in a back room with door closed should be ok. I work in the same room as 6 s3's and the noise isn't an issue but they are running in a cooled environment. I appreciate it.

BTC ADDRESS: 12Qwd8VKLQ4xF44ytHXBpCAKuF9VknG4X2
sushi

Activity: 238

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:54:29 AM

Yes, the sound from S4 and SP10 are very different.  

Everything is bolted down or well connected with raches inside so more than likely, no more scary moment as DOA S2 that either didn't power on, or powers on but LCD doesn't come on.  LCD ribbon cable now even has really tight grip connection to the LCD pcb.  

Anyway, I will try to come up with more hands on data for you guys!! Wink

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
unrealistic

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:05:29 AM

Thanks for those dba measurements.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:55:05 AM

I don't think the mesurement is misleading. That is what the mesurement is.  Each person has different tolelance level.  Definately, it is not as loud as SP10 for sure, but it is a different type of noise.  It is not a high pitch like SP10 but it is a noise from the high speed fan and the PSU cooling.

The noise is difinitely more than S3 x 1.  May be a bit more than S3 x 3-4 units.  Its not a fair to compare against 1 S3 vs 1 S4.  Power consumption between these machines are more than 4x higher.

Members here wanted to know the reading and specifically asked for it, so I powered up my S4 and provided 2 different mesurements. (I did the same with S3 when it first came out.)  Not what I think cusotmer shoudl know, but I try to provide what customers want to know.

What I mean is I can give a buyer two machines with identical dba readings. I can make one unbearable SP10 style, and one perfectly fine, but they will have the same reading. It makes the dba reading totally unsuitable for evaluating the quality of the noise generated.

Obviously someone asked for it so give it to them, I'm just giving my take on dba readings. And this is coming from someone who spend 16 hours a day 5m away from an SP10 for 4 months.

The answer to that is provide both dba readings AND HQ audio recordings or video recordings so people can make the decision themselves.

Its often done when testing fans.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:42:36 AM

jr member have a lot of fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
neo9436

Activity: 211

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:25:36 PM

Hello, needs the S4 a normal C13 cable (like a PC power supply) to power?

Like this:

I ask because Bitmain write 16A and C13 is normaly not rated for 16A.

Yes, judging by the picture it's C13. You'll need a 14GA C13 if running on 120V, or standard 18GA if 240v.

Could someone provide a couple of links to the correct cable needed for the S4?

UK Cable

USA Cable

Hey Dogie,

This takes me back to where I was confused in the first place. Bitmain says not to use a wire rated for less than 16A, but this cord would be 15A? Sorry if this was already addressed.
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:53:14 PM

Like this:

Yes, judging by the picture it's C13. You'll need a 14GA C13 if running on 120V, or standard 18GA if 240v.

UK Cable

USA Cable

Hey Dogie,

This takes me back to where I was confused in the first place. Bitmain says not to use a wire rated for less than 16A, but this cord would be 15A? Sorry if this was already addressed.

The miner consumes 1400w, which is 11.66A on 120v or 5.83A on 240v. The wires above are fine for the stated voltages. You can also get a 12GA wire which is rated for 20A, but they're less common.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 02:00:16 PM

Like this:

UK Cable

USA Cable

Hey Dogie,

The cable is absolutely fine, don't worry.

neo9436

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:09:22 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Can't wait until this miner arrives!
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:33:22 PM

Same here, mine should be here soon. Waiting on UPS to deliver.
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:51:38 PM

Hello all,

Bitmain has employed me to help liaise with the community and later provide technical support. They have done this in order to help provide:

1) timely technical support
2) provide better feedback (if I don't know, I can find out from the people within Bitmain who will)
3) provide product and sales input from you guys directly into the company. If something is going wrong, YOU can fix it
4) provide native English press releases - less ManderEnglish, more sense.

This is a paid position, however it will in no way affect my independence or freedom in being critical towards Bitmain outside of this thread. My contract specifically stipulates:

Dogie will speak on behalf of BITMAIN and will not criticize BITMAIN in these threads. Dogie still reserves the right to criticize BITMAIN in his other threads. Both parties acknowledge that this relationship has no impact whatsoever on BITMAIN’s rating or standing in “Dogie’s ‘Manufacturer Trustworthiness” thread.

This means I won't sit here and reply to every post saying Bitmain is a scam, don't buy from Bitmain etc etc, in this thread. It does NOT prohibit me from saying that in my own threads, if that is what I believe. It also has absolutely no impact on their rating in the Manufacturer trustwothiness thread [in which Bitmain just went down 10 points].

Its good to have you straight here available for support as a BitMainTech Employee.
But on the other side, the manufacturer ratings thread now posses a conflict of interests even if you are saying there will be no impact.
It will be fair if you consider putting a label in your Personal Text Field or Signature Panel saying you are a BitMainTech Employee.
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:36:23 PM

Hello all,

Bitmain has employed me to help liaise with the community and later provide technical support. They have done this in order to help provide:

2) provide better feedback (if I don't know, I can find out from the people within Bitmain who will)
3) provide product and sales input from you guys directly into the company. If something is going wrong, YOU can fix it

This is a paid position, however it will in no way affect my independence or freedom in being critical towards Bitmain outside of this thread. My contract specifically stipulates:

Dogie will speak on behalf of BITMAIN and will not criticize BITMAIN in these threads. Dogie still reserves the right to criticize BITMAIN in his other threads. Both parties acknowledge that this relationship has no impact whatsoever on BITMAIN’s rating or standing in “Dogie’s ‘Manufacturer Trustworthiness” thread.

This means I won't sit here and reply to every post saying Bitmain is a scam, don't buy from Bitmain etc etc, in this thread. It does NOT prohibit me from saying that in my own threads, if that is what I believe. It also has absolutely no impact on their rating in the Manufacturer trustwothiness thread [in which Bitmain just went down 10 points].

Its good to have you straight here available for support as a BitMainTech Employee.
But on the other side, the manufacturer ratings thread now posses a conflict of interests even if you are saying there will be no impact.
It will be fair if you consider putting a label in your Personal Text Field or Signature Panel saying you are a BitMainTech Employee.

The only time I ever had a Bitmain issue that I could not resolve required a RMA from Bitmain… In every case I can think of it was better to just deal directly with Bitmain so I could speed along the RMA . I use to buy and promote Bitmain products however due to the recent pricing structure I have somewhat started to promote another vendor . Also if I had a software question I needed answered, 99% of the time I could find the answer in Dogies master thread. So with that said I don't see a need for this "new" service .

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
neo9436

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:43:11 PM

Same here, mine should be here soon. Waiting on UPS to deliver.

I ordered Batch 2, hopefully have it by the 14th.
neo9436

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:50:07 PM

Hello all,

I agree, saying that you are an Employee is good disclosure, it should be out there in case people looking at your one thread didn't see the announcement on this thread.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 05:59:50 PM

Hello all,

I agree, saying that you are an Employee is good disclosure, it should be out there in case people looking at your one thread didn't see the announcement on this thread.

I only represent their interests in this specific thread - and maybe the L1 or U3 thread in the future. In reality I'm more working for the community than Bitmain, attached to Bitmain in this role [as with most of my roles]. I'm here to serve you guys, not sell stuff.

Can't put anything more in the signature as its already overspilling on low resolutions even after being cut down, and more and more miners have to try and squish in there. You'll have to lobby Theymos to add an additional line for hero members. I'm wary about adding disclaimers in the manufacturer trustworthiness thread because there would be one against every company. Someone could argue I'm somehow biased against every company - I work with almost all of them in some capacity. I'm not motivated by money, and everything I do I do in public on the forums even though I don't have to.

mrpark

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:03:19 PM

This S4 doesn't really make sense to me, shouldn't it be an upgrade from what we already have? As far as I know it takes around the same watts as 4.5 of S3s. I have S3's and it would seem silly to "upgrade" them to S4. Yes, you need a power supply, but other than that is almost identical in price, hashing power and watts. Ill wait for the S5 to come out.

BTC: 1JDjCGtxtxoZ46XgTqUoXBDxNFKwcsEmik
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 06:25:32 PM

This S4 doesn't really make sense to me, shouldn't it be an upgrade from what we already have? As far as I know it takes around the same watts as 4.5 of S3s. I have S3's and it would seem silly to "upgrade" them to S4. Yes, you need a power supply, but other than that is almost identical in price, hashing power and watts. Ill wait for the S5 to come out.

Its not meant to replace the S3, its an incremental step. Higher density than S3s, one controller, one PSU, one case, quicker deployment, easier shipping etc etc. As BTC goes down, fixed fiat costs (like shipping) become an ever increasing proportion of the costs.

mrpark

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:31:11 PM

Its not meant to replace the S3, its an incremental step. Higher density than S3s, one controller, one PSU, one case, quicker deployment, easier shipping etc etc. As BTC goes down, fixed fiat costs (like shipping) become an ever increasing proportion of the costs.

I see, space is not an issue for me. Perhaps it is a tiny bit neater, but as far as cost and functionality its the same.

BTC: 1JDjCGtxtxoZ46XgTqUoXBDxNFKwcsEmik
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: