Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:53:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 11:03:29 AM

Great, my S4 just woke me up with it's annoyingly loud beeping. It's dead! I'm able to log into it just fine, but nothing shows up under status. Tried 3 software reboots and 2 power downs. Nothing! Just hard reset the miner following their instructions in the S4's manual, and now the machine isn't getting an IP address. Display is showing IP as 127.0.0.1.

Anyone know what the button above the reset button does? Edit: Nothing. It's just a hole with no button.

S4 was running at stock speed and voltage. Time to see if Antminer provides good support or not, I guess. Of course they're on holiday.

127.0.0.1 will display when its not detecting any network. You can turn the beeper off under Miner Configuration -> General Settings.

Easiest fix is reset, paperclip into the bottom right hole on the LCD for 3 seconds: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=796839.msg9071956#msg9071956

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 11:10:17 AM

Can we get actual proper specs on the included PSU?

Is this close?

1400w or 116.66A continuous 12v output? Assuming 88% efficiency, that should read as about 1591w at the wall if the miner is consuming 1400w DC correct? Who manufactures the PSU? I get a little nervous when I read "custom PSU".

It's 1400w at the wall.

No, I'm pretty sure the PSU can output 1400W DC. PSUs are never rated with what they draw at the wall.

Its a 1400W DC PSU, ie 116A @ 12V.

Any idea who manufactured the PSU?

I'm not sure but they're taking quite a bit of the market now. I'll see if I can find a name.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 11:15:50 AM

I also have this underperforming problem with an S4.
Although the "Mining Status" shows 2000+GH/s I only get ~100GH/s @ghash.io and about 200GH/s at eligius.st.
I am using a 10A power cord since we have 220V here (1400W / 220V = ~6,4A) and do not expect that this is the problem.

I would recommend any suggestions on the performance, thanks.

Hello I have 2 S4's and prefer to use Eligius, but I'm also having tons of trouble with that combo.  I don't have any solutions, but wanted to provide data from my equipment for confirmation of the problem.
Below is a link to 2 screenshots of the S4s running on Eligius vs Eclipse.  Note the accepted shares and "Effective Hashrate"

http://1drv.ms/1E6MPRV

I too am seeing nowhere near the advertised hash rate poolside, even though the web ui is reporting close to 2100 average.  I am seeing about 1.67 TH poolside average after several hours.

My antminer s4 is also not working on eligius or ghash, but it's reporting in its own control panel that it's mining at 2000+ gh/s. What is the deal?

I did a buy on the S4's and their hashrate locally is 2th/s or greater (awesome!) however, when connected to BTCGuild NONE of them show anywhere close to 2 Th/s.  They show more like 200 Gh/s.  I have 2 that are over 1 Th/s, but the rest between 0 - 278 GH/s.  WTF Bitmain?Huh

The fix for now is to use GHash or BTCGuild with 2048 difficulty. Pools with vardiff seem to overload the miners at the start when spamming them with difficulty 16 shares. A new firmware is on the way soonTM.

Added warnings to the OP and my guide.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 11:26:55 AM

I did a buy on the S4's and their hashrate locally is 2th/s or greater (awesome!) however, when connected to BTCGuild NONE of them show anywhere close to 2 Th/s.  They show more like 200 Gh/s.  I have 2 that are over 1 Th/s, but the rest between 0 - 278 GH/s.  WTF Bitmain?Huh

The fix for now is to use GHash or BTCGuild with 2048 difficulty. Pools with vardiff seem to overload the miners at the start when spamming them with difficulty 16 shares. A new firmware is on the way soonTM.
Not quite. Rapidly adapting vardiffs also do fine as the ckpool based pools do, but yes they'll hopefully bring out new firmware with the changes I gave them.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
captainpugwash

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:09:25 PM

TY Dogie
Are the S3's ever going to launch?

Dogie, you have the ear of Bitmain is there any news on the S3 B10 launch other than "It's the Chinese New Year"?

I am tempted to buy a few of the 1.4T Prisma miners if the S3's don't go back on sale soon.

I'll try and find out. With BTC price @ $300 though, I wouldn't be too hopeful.
Bogon

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:21:53 AM

Batch 1 S4 PSU Question
================

I have removed the PSU from my S4 - there is no label or other markings on it.
And I checked all 4 sides. (Yes, I know it's a 1400Watt PSU).

The On-OFF button must be pushed after every power outage.
I asked Bitmain if the PSU could be programmed to return to previous state after a power outage.
I need it to turn on automatically. I need to NOT drive 10 miles after a power outage.

Bitmain's reply - They can do nothing on their side. This functionality is best
incorporated into the PSU directly, and they can't do anything about it.
DUH. A PSU should have an On-OFF switch.
Not a logical On-Off button.

So.....

1. Big UPS capable of 1 hour @ 1400Watts. (Out of the question.)

2. Replace stock PSU. I already have that option available by using 2 server PSU units
   that I already have. I have 2ea. 1200W PSU - they would work fine.

3. Jam something against the on-off switch to hold it in the ON position.

4. Another solution that I haven't thought of yet?

What would you guys do?

LordPaco

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:43:10 AM

So I have this same problem of power outages for a few seconds every few days that shut off most of my ATX power supplies and requires me to manually switch them.

The IBM DPS2000BB 2000watt server power supplies + sidehack's breakout board (gekkoscience.com) solve this issue completely. All the machines attached to those are really maintenance free and kick back on after the power glitches every time. Just make sure you tie on adequate fans to keep them cool and running.

I know not ideal for S4 replacing the pws but that's most likely what is necessary to solve this problem.
Bogon

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:52:28 AM

So far - a small 1" square block of wood and a couple bungee cords
wrapped around the S4 to hold the wood block up against the button
is about my best thought. Short of a complete disassembly of the stock
PSU so that I can bridge the switch contacts with a relay or something.
LordPaco

Activity: 120

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 05:17:33 AM

Just pull the wires from behind the switch and tie them together Huh (short them)
ImogenV

Activity: 24

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 01:21:33 PM

I turn my S4 off at night, and on again in the morning.

Is there a reason why the highest number for 'BestShare' is always found within the first 45 minutes,
and then the following 12 or so hours it doesn't seem to go any higher? (it has been doing this for four days so far)

So for example,

one day I turn the machine on in the morning, first 45 minutes,
bestshare is found at 7561782, stays at that number for the next 12 hours or so.

another day I turn the machine on in the morning, first 45 minutes,
bestshare is found at 14561782, stays at that number the next 12 hours or so.

Now I understand that it will stay at that number if it doesn't find anything better,
but why is it always peaking during the first 45 minutes and thereafter nothing higher?

I am using solo.ckpool.org and I am just wondering if this is normal.
Kexkey

Activity: 237

Smile while thinking.

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 01:44:54 PM

I turn my S4 off at night, and on again in the morning.

Is there a reason why the highest number for 'BestShare' is always found within the first 45 minutes,
and then the following 12 or so hours it doesn't seem to go any higher? (it has been doing this for four days so far)

So for example,

one day I turn the machine on in the morning, first 45 minutes,
bestshare is found at 7561782, stays at that number for the next 12 hours or so.

another day I turn the machine on in the morning, first 45 minutes,
bestshare is found at 14561782, stays at that number the next 12 hours or so.

Now I understand that it will stay at that number if it doesn't find anything better,
but why is it always peaking during the first 45 minutes and thereafter nothing higher?

I am using solo.ckpool.org and I am just wondering if this is normal.

I noticed the same thing here. Seems like the BestShare is not updating correctly. I tried running the S4 on a local pool and I could see submitted shares difficulties higher than the displayed BestShare in the miner status page.

This digital signature is not a digital signature.
dkaufman

Activity: 84

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 02:41:35 PM

Just one question in case I skipped it: Has the problem with the "underperformance" of the S4 been solved?
[...]

This issue is that the S4 can't communicate it's need for higher share difficulty to the pool. Btcguild and ghash both work perfectly fine share difficulty manually set to 2048.

Perfectly?  Are you getting paid perfectly?  Cuz I switched my S4 to BTC Guild over 3 days ago and, while the pool's dashboard does report my speed as just over 2TH and their pretty color charts do show my hashrate fluctuating consistently just above the 2TH line for three days solid now, I don't see to be actually getting *paid* for 2TH...

My earnings so far from this S4 on BTC Guild have been right at half of what I would have expected.  I'm actually earning the same ~$12/day from my S4 on BTC Guild as my two overclocked S3's (1TH) are paying over the same three days, which are still hashing away on Slush's pool.  Both have been running 24/7 since about 1am Oct 5th, with no power or internet disruptions at all.

This has me perplexed.  I know that slush's pool could just be lucky right now, and/or BTC Guild could be unlucky, but slush's posted luck of late has only been kinda good (and I don't see where BTC Guild posts its luck stats, as such) but anyway luck varies from day to day, this 50% of expected payout has been remarkably consistent.  And it seems unlikely that BTC Guild's payout scheme just sucks this much worse than Slush's?  I don't know -- I've never used any pool other than Slush cuz I'm old school like that, and i love their retro 1998-style geeky web design, lol.

I was very relieved to finally switch my S4 to BTC Guild, after researching extensively how to increase UserDiff at Slush's pool (only to find that he'd removed the feature after VarDiff was "perfected") but, at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding isn't it?  And I ain't likin' this pudding!

Now I'm reluctantly forced to consider pointing the S4 back at Slush's pool since, after 8 to 12 hours, it does finally reach about 1.6 to 1.8 TH there (sometimes, for a while), and that's about .6 to .8 TH's more than I seem to getting paid for from BTC Guild :-(

Anyone else conducting a side-by-side, apples-to-apples earnings comparison between an S4 on BTC Guild and some other proven mining equipment elsewhere?

Thanks!

-dave
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 02:43:17 PM

Bitmain, are you planning on resolving these issues for the 2nd batch? I am immensely dissatisfied with my batch 1 miner.

The difficulty issues are firmware related, not batch related and will be fixed shortly.

Incorrect. The issues are definately hardware related & are batch related:

I'm a little confused tbh, as ck says:

It turns out the controller is so low powered that it can only process ~30 shares per second which mean that unless diff is set higher, they work their way into a death spiral before diff catches up. Great...

Which to me sounds like a hardware issue - or is it the firmware that decides how much power is provided to the controller?
It's not a firmware issue. The controller hardware they bundle with it is not fast enough to handle running at low diffs, and most pools start at a lower diff for a while before vardiff pushes them up. If they stay low diff long enough the controller never catches up. I gave them a driver code workaround (i.e. hack) to get over this hurdle. It means they'll (appear to) run at low hashrates for a while until the pool reaches a diff suitable for the device. When they say it's a firmware issue, they mean they'll offer new firmware with an updated cgminer to address the issue.

The upcoming firmware release, if bitmain even bother with it, is a workaround devised by ckolivas in an effort to address the hardware issue.

Thank ckolivas for doing bitmains job & providing an accurate answer, and solution - as always  Smiley

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:14:27 PM

Just one question in case I skipped it: Has the problem with the "underperformance" of the S4 been solved?
[...]

This issue is that the S4 can't communicate it's need for higher share difficulty to the pool. Btcguild and ghash both work perfectly fine share difficulty manually set to 2048.

Perfectly?  Are you getting paid perfectly?  Cuz I switched my S4 to BTC Guild over 3 days ago and, while the pool's dashboard does report my speed as just over 2TH and their pretty color charts do show my hashrate fluctuating consistently just above the 2TH line for three days solid now, I don't see to be actually getting *paid* for 2TH...

My earnings so far from this S4 on BTC Guild have been right at half of what I would have expected.  I'm actually earning the same ~$12/day from my S4 on BTC Guild as my two overclocked S3's (1TH) are paying over the same three days, which are still hashing away on Slush's pool.  Both have been running 24/7 since about 1am Oct 5th, with no power or internet disruptions at all.

This has me perplexed.  I know that slush's pool could just be lucky right now, and/or BTC Guild could be unlucky, but slush's posted luck of late has only been kinda good (and I don't see where BTC Guild posts its luck stats, as such) but anyway luck varies from day to day, this 50% of expected payout has been remarkably consistent.  And it seems unlikely that BTC Guild's payout scheme just sucks this much worse than Slush's?  I don't know -- I've never used any pool other than Slush cuz I'm old school like that, and i love their retro 1998-style geeky web design, lol.

I was very relieved to finally switch my S4 to BTC Guild, after researching extensively how to increase UserDiff at Slush's pool (only to find that he'd removed the feature after VarDiff was "perfected") but, at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding isn't it?  And I ain't likin' this pudding!

Now I'm reluctantly forced to consider pointing the S4 back at Slush's pool since, after 8 to 12 hours, it does finally reach about 1.6 to 1.8 TH there (sometimes, for a while), and that's about .6 to .8 TH's more than I seem to getting paid for from BTC Guild :-(

Anyone else conducting a side-by-side, apples-to-apples earnings comparison between an S4 on BTC Guild and some other proven mining equipment elsewhere?

Thanks!

-dave

As of this time yesterday Slush was running at 150% luck. BTCGuild doesn't provide shares per block in order to calculate luck, but it wouldn't take much of a run of bad luck to make it seem like your 1TH/s @ 150% is similar to 2TH/s if BTCGuild had some bad luck.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:41:26 PM

TY Dogie
Are the S3's ever going to launch?

Dogie, you have the ear of Bitmain is there any news on the S3 B10 launch other than "It's the Chinese New Year"?

I am tempted to buy a few of the 1.4T Prisma miners if the S3's don't go back on sale soon.

I'll try and find out. With BTC price @ $300 though, I wouldn't be too hopeful.

B10 is up now: https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020140917060843699l3bEXYxL06C0

fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:42:19 PM

You can see BTCGuild luck on the graph at the bottom of this page:

https://www.btcguild.com/index.php?page=pplns

the graph also as an awesome zoom interface
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:54:38 PM

[...]

Perfectly?  Are you getting paid perfectly?  Cuz I switched my S4 to BTC Guild over 3 days ago and, while the pool's dashboard does report my speed as just over 2TH and their pretty color charts do show my hashrate fluctuating consistently just above the 2TH line for three days solid now, I don't see to be actually getting *paid* for 2TH...

My earnings so far from this S4 on BTC Guild have been right at half of what I would have expected.  I'm actually earning the same ~$12/day from my S4 on BTC Guild as my two overclocked S3's (1TH) are paying over the same three days, which are still hashing away on Slush's pool.  Both have been running 24/7 since about 1am Oct 5th, with no power or internet disruptions at all.

This has me perplexed.  I know that slush's pool could just be lucky right now, and/or BTC Guild could be unlucky, but slush's posted luck of late has only been kinda good (and I don't see where BTC Guild posts its luck stats, as such) but anyway luck varies from day to day, this 50% of expected payout has been remarkably consistent.  And it seems unlikely that BTC Guild's payout scheme just sucks this much worse than Slush's?  I don't know -- I've never used any pool other than Slush cuz I'm old school like that, and i love their retro 1998-style geeky web design, lol.

I was very relieved to finally switch my S4 to BTC Guild, after researching extensively how to increase UserDiff at Slush's pool (only to find that he'd removed the feature after VarDiff was "perfected") but, at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding isn't it?  And I ain't likin' this pudding!

Thanks!

-dave

As of this time yesterday Slush was running at 150% luck. BTCGuild doesn't provide shares per block in order to calculate luck, but it wouldn't take much of a run of bad luck to make it seem like your 1TH/s @ 150% is similar to 2TH/s if BTCGuild had some bad luck.
BTC Guild has been crap for almost a year now.
dkaufman

Activity: 84

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:20:27 PM

It's been a tough three days!

Day 1:

So I worked with the bitmain guys just now on a workaround for the pool diff issue. Hopefully they'll post a fix for you to use. This should allow you to mine at other pools. While the hashrate will appear wrong when you first connect to them it should ramp up slowly to the correct value.

Not holding my breath!  (Well yes, actually I most certainly am, and turning a bit blue in fact...)

Day 2:

It turns out the controller is so low powered that it can only process ~30 shares per second which mean that unless diff is set higher, they work their way into a death spiral before diff catches up. Great...

[...] hopefully bring out new firmware with the changes I gave them.

From your mouth to God's ear.

Day 3:

It's not a firmware issue. The controller hardware they bundle with it is not fast enough to handle running at low diffs, and most pools start at a lower diff for a while before vardiff pushes them up. If they stay low diff long enough the controller never catches up. I gave them a driver code workaround (i.e. hack) to get over this hurdle. It means they'll (appear to) run at low hashrates for a while until the pool reaches a diff suitable for the device. When they say it's a firmware issue, they mean they'll offer new firmware with an updated cgminer to address the issue.

Thanks for all this great information, for investigating the issue, for identifying the underlying cause, and most of all, thanks for fixing it!  Thanks, in fact for doing all of the stuff that Bitmain should be doing for its customers, for the money we paid to them.  Can we be your customers now, too?  You are so much more proactive at fixing your free software than they are, after bundling it with their so not-free hardware!

I'm sure they will incorporate your free fix Real Soon Now TM and fail spectacularly to recognize your contributions with appropriate financial renumerations, so in the meantime, time being money and all, Con Kolivas, would you consider hooking us up with this hacked customized version of your Most Awesome cgminer, um you know -- directly?  Don't be shy, go ahead -- SELL ME a cgminer binary that includes a workaround for the S4's underpowered controller hardware!  I (by which i mean me) and we (by which I mean the legions of other S4 owners gnashing their teeth in pain all night, right about now as i am) would be happy to pay for such free software, delivered in such a timely manner.  Beat Bitmain to the punch and fix their hardware with a piece of improved software.  Package it as as an elegantly pain-killing already-compiled drop-in binary replacement that their your customers can simply wget on into place from an ssh shell session like the 4.6.0 for S3's (a so-called "firmware" update is not necessary, but for those not comfortable wget-ing and ssh-ing, a package could probably be built to ease their pain too, and should probably be priced just a bit higher :-)

If you need anything, anything at all, like ssh access to an S4 such as my own, to use as a guinea pig rig, I am of course very eager to hook you up.  Coffee?  Adderall?  A foot rub?  Anything you need, mate!  I have several fine quality first born children who are negotiable, as well!

Someone elsewhere said Bitmain should be paying you, and they should.  We should also -- someone the hell should.  Open Source software development is so often a thankless job, and *always* an underpaid one.  So since I suspect you're one of those altruistic developers who are made a bit uncomfortable by the idea of selling a hacked customized version of your wonderful open source gift to the world, I will repost this here, where so many of us owe you so many well-deserved thank$:

This code is provided entirely free of charge by the programmer in his spare
time so donations would be greatly appreciated. Please consider donating to the
address below.

Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org>
15qSxP1SQcUX3o4nhkfdbgyoWEFMomJ4rZ

I do confess that my donation is mostly thanks in advance :-) I've shamelessly used your software for personal gain now for quite some time without donating a bitcent so yeah also as thanks in arrears too for, you know, cgminer and ckpool and all that other stuff you do too, of course :-)

And --wait for it -- yes do you hear that?  It's a growing, thundering, sound.  From off in the distance... yes, it's a stampede of other S4 Suckers Early Adopter like myself, all clamoring to thank you in advance for that fixed cgminer binary too, with their donations of much generous very btc wow paying it forward for open source (certainly not so their ROI may go forth to the moon) and cuz, dude, we know your time is valuable as well :-) 

Hoping you get paid motivated enough to build me a better cgminer soon! 

-dave,
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 04:32:36 PM

I have several fine quality first born children who are negotiable, as well!
Pure awesome.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Kexkey

Activity: 237

Smile while thinking.

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:46:21 PM

Haha Dave you made my day!!

This digital signature is not a digital signature.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: