Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:24:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
pikachuy

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 11:34:37 AM

How do we do something like a power cycle to reset the O's and X's on the chips through SSH?

For example, sometimes I see X's on the chips and when I reboot through the GUI, it doesn't get corrected. It's only when I manually do a power cycle by powering it off and on from the power button is when all the chips turn back to O's on the status page.

The reason I am asking is because sometimes I get X's and i reboot it from the GUI remotely through a VPN and it doesn't get fixed. I don't want to have to keep going there and manually power cycle it every time because my S4 is located about an hour away and it's a hassle =(.

Any ideas?
I've spent some time thinking this through, and haven't come up with a great solution.  "shutdown -h now" won't clear the x's, the only thing I've found is killing the power at the PSU and bringing it back up, which is difficult to pull off without being in the DC.

Maybe someone know a trick we don't?
As a general any ASIC mining chip can only be fully reset by cycling the power off/on. To remotely cycle power get something like this http://www.wifiplug.co.uk/

The issue with that is that the S4 machine doesn't autopower-on on a powerloss, so even if we can power it off the switch remotely, it won't power back on, on it's own, unless someone knows how to fix that...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thomas_s

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:25:16 PM

How do we do something like a power cycle to reset the O's and X's on the chips through SSH?

For example, sometimes I see X's on the chips and when I reboot through the GUI, it doesn't get corrected. It's only when I manually do a power cycle by powering it off and on from the power button is when all the chips turn back to O's on the status page.

The reason I am asking is because sometimes I get X's and i reboot it from the GUI remotely through a VPN and it doesn't get fixed. I don't want to have to keep going there and manually power cycle it every time because my S4 is located about an hour away and it's a hassle =(.

Any ideas?
I've spent some time thinking this through, and haven't come up with a great solution.  "shutdown -h now" won't clear the x's, the only thing I've found is killing the power at the PSU and bringing it back up, which is difficult to pull off without being in the DC.

Maybe someone know a trick we don't?
As a general any ASIC mining chip can only be fully reset by cycling the power off/on. To remotely cycle power get something like this http://www.wifiplug.co.uk/

The issue with that is that the S4 machine doesn't autopower-on on a powerloss, so even if we can power it off the switch remotely, it won't power back on, on it's own, unless someone knows how to fix that...
A Wifi plug should be able to allow power flow while "on" and stop power from the outlet when "off", it would have the same effect as unplugging / plugging the unit back in.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:32:07 PM

A Wifi plug should be able to allow power flow while "on" and stop power from the outlet when "off", it would have the same effect as unplugging / plugging the unit back in.

It does not help. You need to press the button.
thomas_s

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 01:24:07 PM

My mistake, not the best feature to have a button during large scale deployments if you want to be able to remotely cycle units.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 02:36:15 PM

My mistake, not the best feature to have a button during large scale deployments if you want to be able to remotely cycle units.

Has anyone checked the behaviour if you tape down that button? Then additionally during a mains power cycle? I would but I'm away from my unit at the moment.

dlowings

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 08:08:31 PM

Wish I had good news… I'm on the phone with UPS … I just got a bill in the mail for UPS shipping fees associated with my PSU replacements … Let me say that again, I'm being charged for Bitmains defective replacement part being shipped to me.

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 08:25:33 PM

Has anyone checked the behaviour if you tape down that button? Then additionally during a mains power cycle? I would but I'm away from my unit at the moment.

You really do not know? Press  the button and hold.   PSU turns off.
pikachuy

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 09:20:22 PM

Wish I had good news… I'm on the phone with UPS … I just got a bill in the mail for UPS shipping fees associated with my PSU replacements … Let me say that again, I'm being charged for Bitmains defective replacement part being shipped to me.

What country are you from that they are charging you for shipping?
dlowings

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 09:41:48 PM

I'm from the US in Atlanta . After working the phones for an hour I convinced UPS to eat the cost . Just sucks because I know some people will just pay the bill …

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
pikachuy

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 10:05:56 PM

I'm from the US in Atlanta . After working the phones for an hour I convinced UPS to eat the cost . Just sucks because I know some people will just pay the bill …

Care to share what you say or how you convinced them to pay for it or go after Bitmain for the cost? Since it's Bitmain's fault and we are just victims...
dlowings

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 11:07:25 PM

Care to share what you say or how you convinced them to pay for it or go after Bitmain for the cost? Since it's Bitmain's fault and we are just victims...

Basically it is as I have stated in past posts . There is a customs rule, "can't remember the number of the rule" , but it states that there is no fees on things that are marked "warranty parts".. In all due fairness it is more of a UPS error then Bitmain, but it just adds to the hassle I've delt with in regards to all my S4 units … I wanted to buy another one but at this point I'm just to beat down by the whole process… and cost

Tim.Shao19

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 06:27:05 AM

can you please let me know how many s4 you have in hand and how many of these miners arise with this chip issues?
How long will the O‘s last each time after you reset the X's on the chips and Xs show up again? please contact my email address info@bitmaintech.com. And i will be incontact with our engineers and tech guys to find a solution for you.

Any ideas?
dlowings

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 12:02:18 PM

can you please let me know how many s4 you have in hand and how many of these miners arise with this chip issues?
How long will the O‘s last each time after you reset the X's on the chips and Xs show up again? please contact my email address info@bitmaintech.com. And i will be incontact with our engineers and tech guys to find a solution for you.

Any ideas?

Don't over clock the unit …. You will find that if you run them at the standard setting you will for the most part NOT get the XXXXXX ' s and the ----------- 's   You are right that once the chips get the XXXXXXXX 's or ----------- 's about the only thing that will fix it is a hard reset of the unit …

pikachuy

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 07:28:17 PM

Any ideas?

I get X's randomly because i overclock the frequency to 225, and it runs without a problem at that frequency for awhile. It just randomly get's some X's here and there, which is why I was asking how to do a hard reboot through SSH because a soft reboot through the webpage/GUI won't correct the X's. It's only when I pull the plug or press the button on the PSU is when it's able to fix itself.

Any commands or hard reboot cycle through SSH that you can share?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 08:03:42 PM

Any ideas?

I get X's randomly because i overclock the frequency to 225, and it runs without a problem at that frequency for awhile. It just randomly get's some X's here and there, which is why I was asking how to do a hard reboot through SSH because a soft reboot through the webpage/GUI won't correct the X's. It's only when I pull the plug or press the button on the PSU is when it's able to fix itself.

I don't believe you can do a hard enough reboot via SSH that will reawaken X'ed chips. PSU restart it is.

pikachuy

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 08:13:05 PM

I don't believe you can do a hard enough reboot via SSH that will reawaken X'ed chips. PSU restart it is.

Well, that sucks... How come this software https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=596178.0 can correct the X's for the S1, S2, and S3 from a reboot, but not S4?

If the S1, S2, and S3 are able to correct the X's through SSH, why wouldn't something like that be available for the S4? Unless there's some hidden command we don't know about.
dlowings

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 09:49:49 PM

Any ideas?

I manage and oversee datacenters around the world for a global telecomm where I come from a hard reset means pulling the plug without question ..

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 11:30:20 PM

Well, that sucks... How come this software https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=596178.0 can correct the X's for the S1, S2, and S3 from a reboot, but not S4?

If the S1, S2, and S3 are able to correct the X's through SSH, why wouldn't something like that be available for the S4? Unless there's some hidden command we don't know about.
Probably because unlike the earlier models the s4 has programmable Vcore regulators whereas the others uses fixed resistors to set it. Along with OC'ing it have you played with using a higher core voltage? Generally an ASICS voltage needs will track what freq you are running at - lower speed and you can reduce Vcore, higher - raise it. Vcore is set only when power is first turned on and not during any sort of soft(ware) boot. As said previously, a hard boot is killing power and restarting.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 12:04:49 AM

Probably because unlike the earlier models the s4 has programmable Vcore regulators whereas the others uses fixed resistors to set it. Along with OC'ing it have you played with using a higher core voltage? Generally an ASICS voltage needs will track what freq you are running at - lower speed and you can reduce Vcore, higher - raise it. Vcore is set only when power is first turned on and not during any sort of soft(ware) boot. As said previously, a hard boot is killing power and restarting.

Actually just to clarify, there are 3 different PCBs of S4s which have slightly different powering methods. Some have programmable Vcore, some don't. I'm not certain if the 'have to hard hard reset' applies to all three revisions.

pikachuy

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 12:32:34 AM

Well I found this info from here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656461.0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chip specs: BM1382

Process Node: 28nm
Package Type: FCQFN-56
Packaged Chip Size: 8mm x 8mm
Number of Cores: 63
Core Voltage: 0.75 V
Core Frequency: 250 MHz
Hash Rate: 15.75 GH/s
Power Consumption: 0.59 J/GH (chip level, and it can be lower to 0.40J/GH by lowering the core voltage)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The chips in the S4 are BM1382, and the antminer S4 is defaulted at 0.72V and 200MHz frequency, does that mean it's under-volted?

According to the BM1382 specs, it should be able to run at 0.75v and 250MHz without any problems... So why aren't we given that as the defaults?
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: