Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:57:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
MissouriMiner

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:33:25 PM

No black friday deals, bitmain?

My guess-they will have something on Cyber Monday (after all coupons expire), but I would have hurried up a bit-there is a lot of competition out there right now.
Side note: we have a 50PH jump overnight-somebody either deploying or burning in quite a lot of hashing power.

Heh - so much for negative difficulty.

I think the hash rate jumps up or down about that much almost daily.  Looks that way to me.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pak13

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:46:29 PM

spondoolies is offering some amazing cyber monday deals. Naturally all before new tech is announced shortly.
dlowings

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:53:03 PM

spondoolies is offering some amazing cyber monday deals. Naturally all before new tech is announced shortly.

What new tech are you speaking of ? Are you trying to pump interest into sub 28nm tech ? or are you talking about repackaged 28nm chips ? I would like to see REAL proof that something sub 28nm is even at the foundry yet . I'm going to warn people about jumping on pre-order pumping anything sub 28nm .. If you look at the track record of pre order stuff it NEVER ends well … Even when it does make it to market it is often so late that you will never dig yourself out of the hole for putting up SOOOOO much money upfront for late delivers in hopes to get a jump on the difficulty increase …  Because most chip producers are now heavily invested in their own cloud solutions by the time you get your product you will be getting the table scraps of any possible profit from the new tech … I'm all for mining but VERY anti cloud, and anti pre orders .

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
pak13

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 06:10:07 PM

What new tech are you speaking of ? Are you trying to pump interest into sub 28nm tech ? or are you talking about repackaged 28nm chips ? I would like to see REAL proof that something sub 28nm is even at the foundry yet . I'm going to warn people about jumping on pre-order pumping anything sub 28nm .. If you look at the track record of pre order stuff it NEVER ends well … Even when it does make it to market it is often so late that you will never dig yourself out of the hole for putting up SOOOOO much money upfront for late delivers in hopes to get a jump on the difficulty increase …  Because most chip producers are now heavily invested in their own cloud solutions by the time you get your product you will be getting the table scraps of any possible profit from the new tech … I'm all for mining but VERY anti cloud, and anti pre orders .

100% agree with NOT pre-ordering anything!

The announcements for the new tech have been leaked by competitors (trustworthy) for the past couple of months. The tape-outs for first batch started this month. Assembly etc, next month into Jan. Announcements will therefore follow shortly. However, I will say, the SP20's ability to be turned down to 0.6J/GH at the wall, down to as low as 0.5 for some with no physical modifications make it a longer lasting product at this stage that we find ourselves as at with the current tech. Personally I believe bitmain made mistakes with developing the U3 and the C1. Waste of time and resources. 
bittalc1

Activity: 162

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 08:33:26 PM

So the reset switch is only for reset to default settings ? I thought it was for hard reset like PC and also for restore to def.

If we manually change the voltage, frequency, etc... from factory defaults to something else; we have to manually change them back to defaults if we want to go back to defaults without doing a "hard reset" as you say.

I do not know of another way to restore settings back to defaults with one touch of a button or one click of the mouse.  If you find out, let me know.

EDIT:  The only thing I know that can reset BUT WILL RESET EVERYTHING is the reset button inside the hole to the left of the LCD screen.  This may be what you are calling a "Hard Reset."

2nd EDIT:  As for reseting something we have changed [frequency, voltage, etc...] back to defaults without a "hard reset," I do not know of a way to do that.  I believe we have to "manually" change those things back to defaults the same way we "manually" changed them from default to something else; IF we do not want to do a hard reset.

I dont know if you read my previous posts. The point for asking is that i want to make arduino board that will remotely tell the miners to turn off completely or reset, or reset to default settings. As i know we have only remote access to the web GUI only if you have pc in lan next to them. So what if the miner stuck, you lost control over him? Here comes the arduino that will trigger remotely the power switch or the reset switch. Combined with raspberry pi, you will have complete access over the miners
dlowings

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 09:49:54 PM

100% agree with NOT pre-ordering anything!

The announcements for the new tech have been leaked by competitors (trustworthy) for the past couple of months. The tape-outs for first batch started this month. Assembly etc, next month into Jan. Announcements will therefore follow shortly. However, I will say, the SP20's ability to be turned down to 0.6J/GH at the wall, down to as low as 0.5 for some with no physical modifications make it a longer lasting product at this stage that we find ourselves as at with the current tech. Personally I believe bitmain made mistakes with developing the U3 and the C1. Waste of time and resources. 

" The announcements for the new tech have been leaked by competitors (trustworthy) for the past couple of months. "

leaked is marketing for pre-orders … they need the pre order money to pay the foundry .. I don't thing we will see the new stuff for a while, even if it were on the near horizon don't you think we would see news for pre orders ? last round of pre orders to the new 28 nm chips was almost 6 months ahead of any release … and even then it was late … the math don't add up.

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
Cyper_BLC

Activity: 490
Merit: 270

Reverse Engineer

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 12:13:56 AM

So the reset switch is only for reset to default settings ? I thought it was for hard reset like PC and also for restore to def.

If we manually change the voltage, frequency, etc... from factory defaults to something else; we have to manually change them back to defaults if we want to go back to defaults without doing a "hard reset" as you say.

I do not know of another way to restore settings back to defaults with one touch of a button or one click of the mouse.  If you find out, let me know.

EDIT:  The only thing I know that can reset BUT WILL RESET EVERYTHING is the reset button inside the hole to the left of the LCD screen.  This may be what you are calling a "Hard Reset."

2nd EDIT:  As for reseting something we have changed [frequency, voltage, etc...] back to defaults without a "hard reset," I do not know of a way to do that.  I believe we have to "manually" change those things back to defaults the same way we "manually" changed them from default to something else; IF we do not want to do a hard reset.

I dont know if you read my previous posts. The point for asking is that i want to make arduino board that will remotely tell the miners to turn off completely or reset, or reset to default settings. As i know we have only remote access to the web GUI only if you have pc in lan next to them. So what if the miner stuck, you lost control over him? Here comes the arduino that will trigger remotely the power switch or the reset switch. Combined with raspberry pi, you will have complete access over the miners

yes you are loosing your control if you do reset with reset switch remotely. s4 becomes default dhcp (you dont know ip), default bitmain pool configs and also default 200Mhz 0720 Volt ASIC config etc.. But if you can edit /usr/bin/factory_config_reset.sh file then your reset operation will comes your config Wink i done this.

For donations : 1CYPERv5yZ4c9FRzPyCz5u8vhttyKmVkto
Emeğe Saygı Göstermeyenler, BECERIKSIZ kişilerdir.
MichaelRolland

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 12:38:32 AM

Any way around dead screen?
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8908

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 01:05:54 AM

Those amazing deals aren't that much better - if at all - than an S4 with a coupon. Am I missing something here?
Cyper_BLC

Activity: 490
Merit: 270

Reverse Engineer

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 04:29:12 AM

anyone know how can i change cgminer executable?

/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh stop
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s4/4.6.1-141018/cgminer
mv /usr/bin/cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer.bak
chmod +x cgminer
mv cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart

this is not working
i change 10 times but when S4 restarted, old one comes again. i cant place new cgminer in S4 HuhHuh?

For donations : 1CYPERv5yZ4c9FRzPyCz5u8vhttyKmVkto
Emeğe Saygı Göstermeyenler, BECERIKSIZ kişilerdir.
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 04:42:28 AM

anyone know how can i change cgminer executable?

/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh stop
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s4/4.6.1-141018/cgminer
mv /usr/bin/cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer.bak
chmod +x cgminer
mv cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart

this is not working
i change 10 times but when S4 restarted, old one comes again. i cant place new cgminer in S4 HuhHuh?

I wish I knew how to make the change permanent. Hopefully someone can chime in.
dlowings

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 04:44:39 AM

Those amazing deals aren't that much better - if at all - than an S4 with a coupon. Am I missing something here?

I've been running some numbers, one thing I see is that the SP-20 vs. the S4 is an under volt advantage that gains you money at the wall in favor of SP.. I may be wrong, but if they come out with new tech ANY batchs of the S4 won't even come close to ROI.. I bought some of the FIRST S4s to ship, and they are no where close to ROI . Even with the coupon, I can't pull the trigger when my first several S4's are so far under water. It takes me almost 15 days of mining to cover electricity cost alone. Anything after 15 days goes to the under water s4's .. This late in the game on the 28nm tech I can't find a reason to grab more. Anyone else have thoughts on how to make the s4 more profitable ?

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 05:04:15 AM

I've been running some numbers, one thing I see is that the SP-20 vs. the S4 is an under volt advantage that gains you money at the wall in favor of SP.. I may be wrong, but if they come out with new tech ANY batchs of the S4 won't even come close to ROI.. I bought some of the FIRST S4s to ship, and they are no where close to ROI . Even with the coupon, I can't pull the trigger when my first several S4's are so far under water. It takes me almost 15 days of mining to cover electricity cost alone. Anything after 15 days goes to the under water s4's .. This late in the game on the 28nm tech I can't find a reason to grab more. Anyone else have thoughts on how to make the s4 more profitable ?

Sell now to recoup what you can. Best option. That is what I did with my SP30s.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Cantrip

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:43:19 AM

HELP

Just received my Antminer S4 and having a difficult time setting it up.  When turning the machine on it whirls at full speed/noise, but never settles down.  The LCD screen is bright but never displays any text.  Anyone know what the issue is?

This occurs whether directly plugged into my computer, or plugged into a Netgear N300 wifi to Ethernet adapter.  I unscrewed the lid, and all of the cables appear to be plugged in properly.

Cassey

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

Better to have 100 friends than 100 rubles

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:47:15 AM

Well, full speed is initialization mode.  You obviously pushed the start button on the back.  Suggest unplugging it, counting to 15, plugging it back in, and hitting the start button.  Once it kicks in (seconds), go around front an watch the LCD - it can take a minute or two (or so it seems) to finish initializing.

Of course, you need an active network with a DHCP server plugged into it on that subnet for it to establish an initial connection on.  Any Wifi router will provide that out one of its hardwire ports.

Report back what you see and remember to be patient.

Cassey

Cassey
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:54:17 AM

Nope. Bitmain lowered prices AND issued infinite coupons on top of that. I'm not specifically replying about ST, I'm just saying Bitmain's pricing doesn't tend to spike up and down around arbitrary dates.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:54:30 AM

Any way around dead screen?

LCD? Picture?

pak13

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:21:49 AM

Power usage is a rather large factor.
Underclocking to prolong profitability.

Check their thread and search for reviews not by Dogie since he's a paid employee these days. More evidence ... check sales of bitmain gear on ebay. I was in favor of bitmain till they came up short on price when you include shipping per GH and power per GH. Resale value is a short curve also.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8908

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:54:08 AM

Check their thread and search for reviews not by Dogie since he's a paid employee these days. More evidence ... check sales of bitmain gear on ebay. I was in favor of bitmain till they came up short on price when you include shipping per GH and power per GH. Resale value is a short curve also.

I think you're reaching here. I own a ton of Bitmain and Spondoolies gear. From S1 and SP10 to S4 and SP20. SP31 coming soon too. I like the wide range of Bitmain stuff, I like the tough rack-mounted Spond boxes.

I don't see a significant difference in anything that you mentioned. I just sold an old S1 for $65 to someone in Montana, probably going to use for heat over the winter. S4 undervolts just fine.

The point is, both are solid manufacturers, both made some boo-boos (S4 first batch, SP30 specs), both seem to be able to support their customers. No need to disparage one at the expense of the other.

If you want to look at shipping and specs, SP20 is $815 shipped to the US for 1.7 TH/s and ~1150W, needs a power supply.

S4 is $960 shipped to the US for 2.0 TH/s and ~1400W, no extra cost.

Very close as far as I can see, and it makes sense - I bet both of these manufacturers are watching each other's pricing. Long live competition.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 08:11:41 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 09:12:05 AM by dogie

I think you're reaching here. I own a ton of Bitmain and Spondoolies gear. From S1 and SP10 to S4 and SP20. SP31 coming soon too. I like the wide range of Bitmain stuff, I like the tough rack-mounted Spond boxes.

I don't see a significant difference in anything that you mentioned. I just sold an old S1 for $65 to someone in Montana, probably going to use for heat over the winter. S4 undervolts just fine.

The point is, both are solid manufacturers, both made some boo-boos (S4 first batch, SP30 specs), both seem to be able to support their customers. No need to disparage one at the expense of the other.

If you want to look at shipping and specs, SP20 is $815 shipped to the US for 1.7 TH/s and ~1150W, needs a power supply.

S4 is $960 shipped to the US for 2.0 TH/s and ~1400W, no extra cost.

Very close as far as I can see, and it makes sense - I bet both of these manufacturers are watching each other's pricing. Long live competition.

Just ignore him, its an account that goes thread to thread abusing / disagreeing me irrespective of the actual topic, including posts he pulls out from 6 months ago.

Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: