Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:04:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Reddit Raises $50m, Plans New Cryptocurrency to Reward Users" impact on BTC?  (Read 1364 times)
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 11:38:01 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2014, 12:01:50 PM by pawel7777

http://www.coindesk.com/reddit-50-million-new-cryptocurrency/

Reddit has announced a new $50m funding round that could lead to a unique way for the social network to give back to its community – its own cryptocurrency.

In a post on the company’s official blog, CEO Yishan Wong revealed Reddit had secured funding from a number of well-known venture capitalists and VC funds.

Notable names included Sam Altman, president of the Y Combinator startup incubator, Andreessen Horowitz partner Marc Andreessen, PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, actor Jared Leto, hip-hop superstar Snoop Dogg and Wong himself.

Perhaps most notably for the digital currency community, however, was that all of these investors agreed to set aside 10% of the round’s proceeds to give back to the community.

Wong wrote that the move was a recognition of the central role the digital currency community has played in Reddit’s ongoing success, but provided few details on the company’s potential plans.

Think it's a good news in terms of popularising  the concept of cryprocurrency. I wonder what impact will it have on bitcoin (if any), I can see a possible short-term price drop (some will surely dump some BTC to get some of the new coin). Then again, BTC will get some media attention and good publicity (can't imagine any article about "reddit currency" without mentioning bitcoin).

Thoughts?

edit: link to the official blog:
http://www.redditblog.com/2014/09/fundraising-for-reddit.html

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allgoodthings1

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:04:06 PM

I guess the old man is blind. I don't see anything "direct from the horse's mouth" about them creating a new cryptocurrency to give back to the community.  Only that they're setting aside funds and working on a mechanism to give back.  Am I missing something here?  Or are imaginations running to cryptocurrency creation and competition, minds that might better just wait and see?

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:11:04 PM

People might get their hands on the currency, and then trade it for bitcoins.
Has happened to a lot of other alts.  Wink
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:19:18 PM

they will probably just creat a reddit alt to do their reward program which will be tradeable into btc and other alts. not sure why this is big news

s.mouse

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:20:44 PM

I think this is just speculation at the moment. I doubt they'll create their own cryptocurrency but they might have some sort of reward points but doubt they'll be anything like bitcoin.
Beyonce

Activity: 86

Surfbort.

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:22:00 PM

If they're going to use something why not just use bitcoin? Doubt they'll have the money or desire to build their own mineable currency.

Bow down, bitches.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:27:23 PM

If they're going to use something why not just use bitcoin? Doubt they'll have the money or desire to build their own mineable currency.
what?
do you mean they have not money enough?
look at their cap
if they don't use bitcoin it will be because they want to do it as something related to their company and their confidence
I'm sure that when it is in an exchange that coin will go up to the moon,because strong investor would jump into it
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 01:18:01 PM

An Open Letter to Reddit: Why You Should Build on Bitcoin

Commentary found here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2hxn1k/an_open_letter_to_reddit_why_you_should_build_on/

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
JohnnyBTC

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:56:39 PM

dogecoin holders must be pissed! 
ivanovasmd

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:58:48 PM

Here we go. Next we'll see Apple, Microsoft and every one else releasing this shitty cryptocurrencies just because of an ego fight to not sum forces and work with BTC. Fuck them sideways. I hope these shitty coins get permadumped for BTC.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:14:51 PM

Creating your own coin just because you think you are cool is pretty much the definition of hubris, and its very likely a lot of people will get burned very badly.

They should use Bitcoin or Litecoin.
Eotnak

Activity: 117

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 07:09:55 PM

Here we go. Next we'll see Apple, Microsoft and every one else releasing this shitty cryptocurrencies just because of an ego fight to not sum forces and work with BTC. Fuck them sideways. I hope these shitty coins will get permadumped for BTC.

FTFY

ha, yeah.  Altcoin 2.0, giveaway premine, pump and dump, then announcement "[insert company here] announces they are no longer supporting [company]coin, users are free to continue to trade for anything other than [company] products"
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 07:18:31 PM

Creating your own coin just because you think you are cool is pretty much the definition of hubris, and its very likely a lot of people will get burned very badly.

They should use Bitcoin or Litecoin.

I've seen some genuinely interesting ideas come out of the altcoin market lately and I'm keeping a close eye on them, it's like any market that grows massively, you've got to learn to sift through all the junk to find what you're looking for.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:14:40 PM

Another centralized junk coin probably being used for a big pump and dump on IPO with repeated pump and dumps ongoing.  Overall i think its a positive for bitcoin, like play money poker before trying the real thing.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 09:21:10 PM

As long as they're not trying to hijack somebody else's idea or blatantly plagiarise it I don't have a problem with what people do, it's shit like BitcoinPlus and BitcoinDark that I have a problem with.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:33:07 PM

No impact.

Like others altcoins ... ripple, litcoin or dogcoin.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:34:23 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/reddit-50-million-new-cryptocurrency/

Reddit has announced a new $50m funding round that could lead to a unique way for the social network to give back to its community – its own cryptocurrency.

In a post on the company’s official blog, CEO Yishan Wong revealed Reddit had secured funding from a number of well-known venture capitalists and VC funds.

Notable names included Sam Altman, president of the Y Combinator startup incubator, Andreessen Horowitz partner Marc Andreessen, PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, actor Jared Leto, hip-hop superstar Snoop Dogg and Wong himself.

Perhaps most notably for the digital currency community, however, was that all of these investors agreed to set aside 10% of the round’s proceeds to give back to the community.

Wong wrote that the move was a recognition of the central role the digital currency community has played in Reddit’s ongoing success, but provided few details on the company’s potential plans.

Think it's a good news in terms of popularising  the concept of cryprocurrency. I wonder what impact will it have on bitcoin (if any), I can see a possible short-term price drop (some will surely dump some BTC to get some of the new coin). Then again, BTC will get some media attention and good publicity (can't imagine any article about "reddit currency" without mentioning bitcoin).

Thoughts?

edit: link to the official blog:
http://www.redditblog.com/2014/09/fundraising-for-reddit.html

More than a year ago Reddit CEO Yishan Wong admitted that, the "front page of the internet" does not make money despite having 70 million monthly readers => http://www.businessinsider.in/Reddit-CEO-Admits-Were-Still-In-The-Red/articleshow/21148326.cms

So this is what he has come up with. GooD !!! Jump on fools Tongue

bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:35:48 PM

If every organization comes up with their own coin, then I think that will hurt bitcoin. I see a lot of people dumping bitcoin for this new redditcoin. I see this as a step backward wtih crypto. why not use the coins that are in place?
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 10:18:17 PM

If every organization comes up with their own coin, then I think that will hurt bitcoin. I see a lot of people dumping bitcoin for this new redditcoin. I see this as a step backward wtih crypto. why not use the coins that are in place?

The reason behind this is everyone wants to be the Early Adopter Wink

Eotnak

Activity: 117

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 10:21:25 PM

The reason behind this is everyone wants to be the Early Adopter Wink

Nope, only noobs.  Everyone else wants to be the first to sell when the coin goes on an exchange.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: