Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:32:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA development board "Lancelot" - accept bitsteam developer's orders.  (Read 101815 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1190

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 06:28:02 AM

And again dual SHA-256 is a dream assignment for the beginners. It is small and it takes only about 64 or 128 simulated clocks to verify the entire custom circuitry. From my past experience with SPICE and BSIM4 I would venture to guess that I could simulate one clock cycle of an entire SHA-256 round on my Core2Duo laptop in one day.

The additional benefit for the team is that they have design closure achieved from the moment they pass automated DRC verification. All timing and power targets are soft, they have absolutely no interoperability requirements and any hard targets for timing closure or power closure. All they have to do is pick an  internal clock generation cell with variable multiplier.

I would guess that the chances of a "zero yield" first spin are atypically low for this design.

Since SHA-256 is so easy, why was BFL's FPGA power&performance estimates off by a factor of 5?

Buy & Hold

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1060

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:03:06 AM

Since SHA-256 is so easy, why was BFL's FPGA power&performance estimates off by a factor of 5?
I'm going to guess that they made the same mistake as the open source designers from another thread.

Since the design is so easy to get functionally correct they didn't bother to create the testbench for simulation and didn't run the full timing simulation.

Then they saved additional time by doing the probabilistic static power estimation, not the accurate power estimation that is driven by the simulation results from the testbench.

I'm also not sure about Altera's licensing and pricing model. There may be an additional license charge for the post-simulation power analyzer.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 07:19:37 AM

I know I am nitpicking, but they were off by "only" a factor of 4... A single draws 66W(*) from the 12V input --ignoring inefficiencies of the power adapter-- and 62W without counting the 2 (or sometimes 3) fans.

(*) Average measured from my batch with a clamp meter.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:26:26 AM

4 times the power and 20% less speed iirc, combined a factor of 5 in Mh/$
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 07:47:23 AM

4 times the power and 20% less speed iirc, combined a factor of 5 in Mh/J (mrb: fixed unit)

Nope.

Announced: 1Gh/s at 20W = 50 Mh/J
Actual: 832Mh/s at 66W = 12.6 Mh/J

Difference in efficiency per Joule is a factor of 4. (Again I am not counting the power adapter inefficiencies which bumps the 66W to 80W or so at the wall).
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1060

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 09:01:10 AM

I think what you are saying is a sha-256 asic is fairly simple and they should get it right the first time Huh?
Yeah. This is pretty much a student project.
So, in this arena - price wise what would be a very reasonable estimate of how much it would cost BFL?
(so I know if the major effort to very slightly possibly invalidate sha256 would be worth the while to kill their company)
No idea. I always worked in a long-term R&D teams. I don't know anyone who does merchant one-shot jobs.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 09:41:09 AM

me thinks we got slightly off topic here... Cheesy

Zhang, how's things with lancelot?

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:08:21 PM

ok, report is here:
good news:
fixed all small bugs on the present Lancelot PCB, waiting for heat-sink sample for a final check. will push it to production stage. that means Lancelot will come out in batch in ~3 weeks.  Cheesy
bad news:
bitsteam build meet with some difficulties. no ETA can be  estimate.  Embarrassed

should i make Lancelot as a hardware platform only? you know there are a mass of 3-rd party mining bitsteams, and running really fast. is it good for me to sell Lancelot at a extreme low price and cooperate with those bitsteam makers?  Huh Lancelot have the best power module(14A continuous and 25A peak, 85% efficiency, for each FPGA) and  encryption support (eFuse key  storage and volatile memory key storage). and opensourced.  Huh

about the mining ASIC:

it's really easy to make a mining ASIC, but hard to make a "good" mining ASIC. that's  my point of view.

PS: please feel free to discuss or off topic in my thread. i'm a chinese and in chinese forums, all threads are off topic. it's  a usually situation for me.  Cheesy
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:18:10 PM

ok, report is here:
good news:
fixed all small bugs on the present Lancelot PCB, waiting for heat-sink sample for a final check. will push it to production stage. that means Lancelot will come out in batch in ~3 weeks.  Cheesy
bad news:
bitsteam build meet with some difficulties. no ETA can be  estimate.  Embarrassed

should i make Lancelot as a hardware platform only? you know there are a mass of 3-rd party mining bitsteams, and running really fast. is it good for me to sell Lancelot at a extreme low price and cooperate with those bitsteam makers?  Huh Lancelot have the best power module(14A continuous and 25A peak, 85% efficiency, for each FPGA) and  encryption support (eFuse key  storage and volatile memory key storage). and opensourced.  Huh

about the mining ASIC:

it's really easy to make a mining ASIC, but hard to make a "good" mining ASIC. that's  my point of view.

PS: please feel free to discuss or off topic in my thread. i'm a chinese and in chinese forums, all threads are off topic. it's  a usually situation for me.  Cheesy

If you have difficulty with the bitstream, you should work with third party bitstream a deal. And ship Lancelot in a complete working package. Thats the only solution. If you're shipping bare card there will only be a handful of customers.

You need to act quick because mini-rigs are already shipping. If the end product doesnt result a margin that you expected, its wise to cancel it.

Dont rush to production stage without having the bitstream issue sorted out.

Also, i already see your expected price of the Lancelot to be a bit high.
wildemagic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:20:24 PM

should i make Lancelot as a hardware platform only?

Fine if the hardware is well priced, perhaps with the icarus bitstream in there to get things going.
Dont ship without a bitstream, at least something with expected performance of 400Mhash/sec.

kind regards

.,-._|\     Offgrid 1.7kW Solar and 3G wireless internet powering my mining rig.
/ .Oz. \
\_,--.x/     [219.5btc of successful trades total] with : rastapool, miernik, flatronw & OneFixt
       o
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 09:12:37 PM

How is the weather over there? It's rainy over here in the Netherlands.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 09:44:33 PM

How is the weather over there? It's rainy over here in the Netherlands.

No good start of the summer here in Berlin, either. I would be very much interested in buying one or two FPGAs though that I just need to plug in and press go. Preferably the fancy and cost-efficient Lancelot one.
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 08:54:10 PM

dear friend,
i am afraid that FPGA in 6 months time will turn obsolete! (ASIC time)
i wonder if you should put your efforts to openASIC or other ASIC project! Smiley
ngzhang (OP)

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 08:56:15 PM

dear friend,
i wonder if you should put your efforts to openASIC or other ASIC project! Smiley

Grin let's see what will happen in the next 6 months.
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:20:24 PM

dear friend,

Yep. We will see. I still can't wait to order Lancelot...

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
David_Benz
Donator

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:21:40 PM

And these are worthless too!  Thanks asic!

I am the Bitcoinica Hacker.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:41:25 PM

dear friend,

BFL is supposed to be taking preorders today. ASICs are bringing huge changes to Bitcoin, ones that could even effect non-miners. I believe all of these changes will be for the best in the long run though. Now we can just hope that the openasic project turns something out in the next few months!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 05:34:52 PM

BFL is supposed to be taking preorders today. ASICs are bringing huge changes to Bitcoin, ones that could even effect non-miners. I believe all of these changes will be for the best in the long run though. Now we can just hope that the openasic project turns something out in the next few months!

Yes, and they took preorders in Bitcoin primarily, and some estimates now put the amount of Bitcoin trying to be cashed out by their processor at $300,000 worth, which may be difficult for them to process in the near future. Since these preorders cannot be reversed and the estimated cost for an ASIC run is $3-5 million for all three devices and the time for development could be as long as 6 months or more, there is a very high likelihood we may see BFL not have enough money to do ASIC development for several months and the ASIC itself for several more months. In all, it could easily be a year or more before ASIC drops.

I think FPGA devices still have some play, but obviously these are all things to consider when ordering or implementing new designs. I know I would still buy Lancelots if they were developed, though I'd probably still prefer a quad-miner of some sort.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 05:44:10 PM

What does the developer say? Do you have a solution for the bitstream yet? I'd love to buy one or two Lancelots rather sooner than later. Do you think it's risky to invest in FPGAs now? I'm not so worried about the energy efficiency but to achieve a high hash rate in order to still be able to compete at all with ASICs next year. I'm assuming the time for ROI is more than one year, or isn't it?
ngzhang (OP)

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:17:40 AM

Yes, and they took preorders in Bitcoin primarily, and some estimates now put the amount of Bitcoin trying to be cashed out by their processor at $300,000 worth, which may be difficult for them to process in the near future. Since these preorders cannot be reversed and the estimated cost for an ASIC run is $3-5 million for all three devices and the time for development could be as long as 6 months or more, there is a very high likelihood we may see BFL not have enough money to do ASIC development for several months and the ASIC itself for several more months. In all, it could easily be a year or more before ASIC drops.

I think FPGA devices still have some play, but obviously these are all things to consider when ordering or implementing new designs. I know I would still buy Lancelots if they were developed, though I'd probably still prefer a quad-miner of some sort.

we (my team and some other core people) consider BFL have not spend any money on ASIC development yet. BFL's business flow is: announce dreamlike specs -> taking pre-orders -> find people to development -> if succeed, release and shipment. if fail, run. BFL sell products at super low price because their customer take all risks.
so now BFL is just collecting money for their ASIC project and avoid current delivery pressure (means they are running out cheap FPGAs).
if this business model succeeded, i will classified this as a shame of human intelligence.

and let me explain what is the "now in final stage development" mean. in ASIC design flow, this means RTL design is nearly finish. as a SOC or some other complex ASIC, RTL design and testing will take most of the development time. but mining ASIC is not a RTL complex design, it is a high computing density chip. most of the work is physical design, packaging and thermal design. RTL is less than 10% of the entire work.

What does the developer say? Do you have a solution for the bitstream yet? I'd love to buy one or two Lancelots rather sooner than later. Do you think it's risky to invest in FPGAs now? I'm not so worried about the energy efficiency but to achieve a high hash rate in order to still be able to compete at all with ASICs next year. I'm assuming the time for ROI is more than one year, or isn't it?

nearly finish.
the price will let the ROI in ~6 months.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: