Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:34:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about VPS's - KVM/OpenVZ? Are both powered on 24/7?  (Read 1259 times)
Zakcy (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:21:47 PM

I've got a question about VPS's. I'm looking to purchase one, but I'm not sure which to get. What I'm looking for, however, is one that stays powered on 24/7, even if I'm not logged into it.

For example, I want to run my RuneScape bot ( Cheesy ) and my bitcoin miner (not intending to do this, but assuming they allow it) on the VPS. After it's set up, I want to be able to log off, come back DAYS later, and still see the bot and bitcoin miner running.

I had a chat with a representative of one of the VPS companies I was looking into. They said that there's a chance that the programs would exit out if I were to log out of the VPS, and that I should learn how to make the programs a "Service". This is what stumped me. So what I interpreted from this was, all applications are exited out to save resource? Is this only a specific type of VPS? Or does this feature depend on the company I'm purchased the VPS from?

So anyway, it seems to me that KVM and OpenVZ are the most common VPSs out there. Not sure which to choose to suit my needs... but any help is appreciated Smiley

Thanks guys!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:46:31 PM

LOL! judging by your post you are a newbie. don't play with stuff you don't know about.
learn and read , read, read...

with OpenVZ, you get a kind of jailed root account on a linux box, protected from the rest of the machine.
It behaves like a Linux system(but with some limits).

with KVM, you get a emulated "real" machine, with a emulated "real" network card, and stuff.
It behaves like a real computer.

OpenVZ haves less overhead(i think...), but KVM gives more flexibility.

PROTIP: before renting a VPS be good with a terminal, and know your way around linux and the most common terminal utility(cd, cat, ls, screen, mail, vim/nano/emacs, etc...).

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Zakcy (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 11:25:57 PM

LOL! judging by your post you are a newbie. don't play with stuff you don't know about.

with OpenVZ, you get a kind of jailed root account on a linux box, protected from the rest of the machine.

with KVM, you get a emulated "real" machine, with a emulated "real" network card, and stuff.

PROTIP: before renting a VPS be good with a terminal, and know your way around linux and the most common terminal utility(cd, cat, ls, screen, mail, vim/nano/emacs, etc...).

Oh okay. Would OpenVZ or KVM be any different if I required a Windows VPS?
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 10:55:22 AM

you can't run windows in a OpenVZ, its basicly a linux account.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Zakcy (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 03:23:41 PM

Does that mean I should be looking for a KVM?

Or should I be looking for something else? All I need is a Windows VPS that can be left on 24/7, even if I disconnect from it.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 04:26:12 PM

Does that mean I should be looking for a KVM?

Or should I be looking for something else? All I need is a Windows VPS that can be left on 24/7, even if I disconnect from it.
kvm would handle it fine. as long as the VM has enough ram.

firepacket

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 09:12:47 PM

I had a chat with a representative of one of the VPS companies I was looking into. They said that there's a chance that the programs would exit out if I were to log out of the VPS, and that I should learn how to make the programs a "Service". This is what stumped me.

This is absurd. There is no chance your applications will close by themselves. On a windows VPS you would connect via Remote Desktop, run your applications, and then disconnect. Everything you left running will be there 100% (make sure you turn off auto-updates or it might reboot)

There are lots of good VPS solutions out there, you need to find the provider that best suits you. What country do you want it hosted in? What type of specs do you need? What is your budget.

Whenever I need to find a new host I head over to webhostingtalk.com and start searching. Here is a link to their VPS special offers forum, I am sure you can find something : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:09:19 AM

I had a chat with a representative of one of the VPS companies I was looking into. They said that there's a chance that the programs would exit out if I were to log out of the VPS, and that I should learn how to make the programs a "Service". This is what stumped me.

This is absurd. There is no chance your applications will close by themselves. On a windows VPS you would connect via Remote Desktop, run your applications, and then disconnect. Everything you left running will be there 100% (make sure you turn off auto-updates or it might reboot)

There are lots of good VPS solutions out there, you need to find the provider that best suits you. What country do you want it hosted in? What type of specs do you need? What is your budget.

Whenever I need to find a new host I head over to webhostingtalk.com and start searching. Here is a link to their VPS special offers forum, I am sure you can find something : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104
not if you are in a terminal session on linux, the applications exits when the terminal is closed, unless you use nohup or screen, or other similar stuff.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: