Does name "phpmybitcoin" cause confusion with name "mybitcoin?"

(1/2) > >>

mizerydearia:
There is a potential recent establishment of something called phpmybitcoin that may soon exist offering a php interface to Bitcoin similarly to:

phpmp <-> mpd
phpmyadmin <-> mysql
phpmyproxy <-> proxy
phppqadmin <-> postgresql

However, there are one or more individuals that have brought up an issue of conflict in regards to confusing "phpmybitcoin.org" with "mybitcoin.com" in some way.

I would liek to ask anyone willing to contribute their thoughts on the matter.

Added: "my" is to "mysql" as "bit" is to "bitcoin" and thus "phpbitadmin" or better yet "pg" is to "postgresql" as "bc" is to "bitcoin" and thus "phpbcadmin"

gridecon:
I understand the concern - as context, there was discussion of this in the IRC channel immediately prior to this thread being posted - but it seems to me there are already several websites using "bitcoin" as part of their url, and as the bitcoin economy grows, there will be many partial overlaps. I think the analogy between "phpmyadmin" and "phpmybitcoin" means the choice of name is clear and understandable.

I also have no stake in this matter personally. I would hope that everyone in the community agrees that the appearance of new projects and websites is a good thing and that any potential confusion or concerns can be resolved by everyone in a friendly manner.

jgarzik:

In order to encourage businesses to build on top of bitcoin, I would hope the community think it fair if you ask mybitcoin.com folks their opinion, before publishing something with a highly similar name.

IMO, Community Building 101.

It is hard to sell entrepreneurs on working with a community that develops a tradition of trampling on brands.

Red:
I would have guessed that phpmybitcoin was a php implementation of mybitcoin.

So yes they can be confused.

I have used phpmyadmin lots. I didn't draw the parallel.

aceat64:
I'm the one working on phpmybitcoin. In case it's decided that the name is too similar to mybitcoin.com I've registered the domain phpbitadmin.org and will rename the project to phpbitadmin as a fall back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page