Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:36:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using real identity when soliciting users for new bitcoin web service  (Read 1055 times)
mollison (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 05:41:57 AM

I'm planning to start a new bitcoin venture, ideally in a couple of weeks. Not an investment fund, GLBSE stock, or anything as major as that. More of a web service. The venture will be web-based, and people will need to "trust" me with their bitcoins (probably very small quantities, to start with) to make use of the service. So, I'm trying to figure out how to build up trust.

I'm aware of Bitcoin-OTC, and will probably start using that, but I don't have enough time to really build up a great history before I'm planning to launch this venture.

In the real world, I'm a pretty reputable person. I'm a grad student, I do research for a living. I've published papers. It's easy to find out where I live. I could, for example, publish a PGP message on my website to provide extremely strong evidence that I am who I am.

My question is: is it wise/safe to "connect" my real identity to my venture, as a way of establishing trust? I'm highly leaning towards doing so. Is there some reason that this should be considered unsafe or unwise, assuming that I actually *do* deal with people honestly (which I will)?

Thanks! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, whether directly answering my questions or just providing peripheral advice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 06:20:29 AM

I'm planning to start a new bitcoin venture, ideally in a couple of weeks. Not an investment fund, GLBSE stock, or anything as major as that. More of a web service. The venture will be web-based, and people will need to "trust" me with their bitcoins (probably very small quantities, to start with) to make use of the service. So, I'm trying to figure out how to build up trust.

Welcome to the community!

It's good your reaching out, this community has seen its fair share of scandals and frauds.

My question is: is it wise/safe to "connect" my real identity to my venture, as a way of establishing trust? I'm highly leaning towards doing so. Is there some reason that this should be considered unsafe or unwise, assuming that I actually *do* deal with people honestly (which I will)?

I cannot stress how much transparency is important here.

You must tell us who you really are, in order to gain real trust here.

The businesses that do not are constantly under scrutiny and investigation

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:42:50 AM

The businesses that do not are constantly under scrutiny and investigation
..and abuse, and libel, and the occasional public doxxing.

The more transparent you are out of the gate, the safer you are in the race. That does not however guarantee you'll ever cross the finish line as this community has a way of dragging down that which it doesn't fully understand or agree with.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 09:35:45 AM

The venture will be web-based, and people will need to "trust" me with their bitcoins (probably very small quantities, to start with) to make use of the service. So, I'm trying to figure out how to build up trust.

It also depends on how long you need to hold the coins for.  A gambling site that holds funds until some future event occurs, for instance, is much riskier than one that pays out in the same day.

But ya, reveal your real identity, add a +1 if someone from this community has met you in person, etc., and you'll probably have o problem with the trust.

The other thing though, is that trust means not only does the person have integrity but that they are doing the right things.  If you are holding other people's bitcoins, are your systems secure, are you storing coins not needed immediately in offline air-gapped cold storage? etc.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 10:35:06 AM

I think it is a good idea to connect your real identity to your project as it is an honest signal.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
mollison (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 04:47:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome and the good advice. Based on this feedback I am definitely planning to go the route of "full disclosure" of who I am.

The other thing though, is that trust means not only does the person have integrity but that they are doing the right things.  If you are holding other people's bitcoins, are your systems secure, are you storing coins not needed immediately in offline air-gapped cold storage? etc.

That's also a very good point.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:02:18 PM

Consider being as open and as transparent as you can. Disclose your finances to the public and provide a way for your clients to keep tabs on it. If people see that your words match your money I bet they'll feel more at ease and will trust you as long as you keep this up.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: