Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:31:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client  (Read 29473 times)
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 10:52:41 PM

Once you sweep a bip38 key, it's no longer "cold storage", and we also want to discourage address reuse. You can always send a portion back by scanning the public address if you want to ignore these concerns, but we don't want to encourage people to do it.

Fair enough!  Although that would be killer feature for me personally i do understand your position completely.

After the latest update, breadwallet makes transactions with tiny fees, like 0.000011 BTC.  Those transactions take hours to confirm.  This may be OK if I send money to a web site, but for a phone wallet it is problematic, I could need to wait for at least the first confirmation in a face-to-face situation.

I noticed that too. Hopefully new release will address this issue.

Few more things: New users are confused about "Touch ID limit". It would be great if there was some text explaining exactly how it works.

Also... It would be nice if transaction history would not be visible until user enters pin or use TouchID.

If you take donations, I'd like to contribute.
Anyways, thanks for developing this great wallet!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
voisine (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 10:59:44 PM

I noticed that too. Hopefully new release will address this issue.

Few more things: New users are confused about "Touch ID limit". It would be great if there was some text explaining exactly how it works.

Also... It would be nice if transaction history would not be visible until user enters pin or use TouchID.

If you take donations, I'd like to contribute.
Anyways, thanks for developing this great wallet!

The next update bumps fees up slightly to improve confirmation times, also it only shows transactions with fewer than 6 confirms without touchid/pin.

I agree the touch id spending limit is a bit confusing. I'll see if we can add a better explanation after this next update (the current update is already frozen for translation)
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:42:23 PM

I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?
voisine (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:15:17 PM

I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 12:09:40 AM

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:06:04 PM

Thank you Smiley

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe

Thank you! Got it working, this is useful Smiley
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 10:09:54 PM

Sometimes when I open breadwallet, "wallet amount" is displayed immediately while wallet is still syncing with the network. When syncing is done, "wallet amount" disappears and "breadwallet" text is displayed (normal behavior).

This usually happens if I don't use the app for few days (so it takes a little bit longer to synchronize).

Here is the screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/IhobMx1.png

breadwallet 0.5.1 / iP5s / iOS 8.3 (12F70)

Thanks.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 02:27:08 PM

Still my go to wallet on iOS though Copay has my attention...

Wed
Legendary

Activity: 1231
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 08:11:18 AM

Did I understood right? Wallet is saved locally on my phone?

I'm still searching for a good iOS wallet and I'm tired of blockchain wallet. Don't want an online wallet.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:49:18 PM

I'm still searching for a good iOS wallet and I'm tired of blockchain wallet. Don't want an online wallet.

The seed stays in your phone, protected by passcode or Touch ID. Transactions are signed in your phone, and the client is an SPV one. I hope this answers your question Smiley This wallet doesn't depend on third parties as much as others, that's why I use it... It's also the easiest one to use, with and interface that's both practical and nicely done.

Since I'm here... Is any update with user controlled fees in the works?
voisine (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 06:32:51 PM

The seed stays in your phone, protected by passcode or Touch ID. Transactions are signed in your phone, and the client is an SPV one. I hope this answers your question Smiley This wallet doesn't depend on third parties as much as others, that's why I use it... It's also the easiest one to use, with and interface that's both practical and nicely done.

Update is being prepared now. No user controlled fees, but improved automatic fee calculation. Other payment systems don't have priority settings, and that's what we're competing with.
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 06:53:01 PM

Update is being prepared now. No user controlled fees, but improved automatic fee calculation. Other payment systems don't have priority settings, and that's what we're competing with.

Why not allow for user controlled fees as well? There are many use cases where this would be helpful
voisine (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 07:34:50 PM

Why not allow for user controlled fees as well? There are many use cases where this would be helpful

We may at some point release a power user tool for bitcoin nerds, but breadwallet is designed around the elegantly simple experience of sending and receiving.

Extreme security, financial privacy, no servers to ever go down, no passwords to forget, no confusing settings to worry about, all this is baked in and it just works.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 08:03:27 PM

Thanks for the update Smiley I don't think you're competing with anyone. Your Bitcoin client is simply another league Wink So you are free to think out of the box and simply ignore competition.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 08:09:39 PM

Thanks for the update Smiley I don't think you're competing with anyone. Your Bitcoin client is simply another league Wink So you are free to think out of the box and simply ignore competition.

Thanks for the compliment. It's going to keep getting better. We don't worry too much about other bitcoin wallets, although frequently there are some great elements we take inspiration from. Our real competitors are guys like square and venmo, the next generation of user experience focused fintech startups. Sort of like how tesla doesn't compete against other electric car companies, they compete against mercedes and bmw. At least that's what we're striving for.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 09:39:26 PM

Thanks for the compliment. It's going to keep getting better. We don't worry too much about other bitcoin wallets, although frequently there are some great elements we take inspiration from. Our real competitors are guys like square and venmo, the next generation of user experience focused fintech startups. Sort of like how tesla doesn't compete against other electric car companies, they compete against mercedes and bmw. At least that's what we're striving for.

Good to see you agree with me and see your own work how it deserves to be seen Wink Keep it up and thank you.
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:35:53 PM

Does Breadwallet support signed messages? I've searched around and it doesn't look like it supports this feature.

I really like Breadwallet, but I have to make a purchase today that requires an additional signed message. I guess I have to use a different wallet for this purchase.

Maybe the signed message feature could be added as an x-callback-url? Although that could get complex because the message would probably have to be URL encoded in order to work.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:28:00 PM

Does Breadwallet support signed messages? I've searched around and it doesn't look like it supports this feature.

I really like Breadwallet, but I have to make a purchase today that requires an additional signed message. I guess I have to use a different wallet for this purchase.

Maybe the signed message feature could be added as an x-callback-url? Although that could get complex because the message would probably have to be URL encoded in order to work.

No, it doesn't support signed messages. You have to import your seed to MultiBit HD to sign a message from an address in your seed. Do this in a secure computer. Import the seed, send your funds to a new one on breadwallet (or send your funds elsewhere before importing your seed) and sign the message.

It would be interesting to have signing messages capability. But I don't see this as an essential or even needed feature on a mobile wallet of any kind.
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:52:56 PM

No, it doesn't support signed messages. You have to import your seed to MultiBit HD to sign a message from an address in your seed. Do this in a secure computer. Import the seed, send your funds to a new one on breadwallet (or send your funds elsewhere before importing your seed) and sign the message.

It would be interesting to have signing messages capability. But I don't see this as an essential or even needed feature on a mobile wallet of any kind.

Thanks for the response. I already have another wallet, so I'll use that one.

I agree that in general message signing is not needed for a mobile wallet. This is an unusual circumstance where the seller requires a signed message. Very rare in my experience.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
Wed
Legendary

Activity: 1231
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:24:02 AM

I tried to import a private key and that "import" (sending from old address to my bread wallet) was never confirmed. So I had to send it manually. This was caused by very low fees. It would be very, very great if user could set fees manually.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: