Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:28:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client  (Read 29471 times)
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 03:13:27 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2016, 05:18:27 PM by abercrombie

I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe

It's been a love hate relationship with Breadwallet and unconfirmed transactions.    This helped me get my Breadwallet into Multibit.

Seems like transactions get stuck unconfirmed, and I end up having to remove and reinstall the iOS App, for things to work again.  Now that I have Multibit as a backup, at least now I won't have to worry about my coins getting stuck.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 06:51:12 AM

I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe

It's been a love hate relationship with Breadwallet and unconfirmed transactions.    This helped me get my Breadwallet into Multibit.

Seems like transactions get stuck unconfirmed, and I end up having to remove and reinstall the iOS App, for things to work again.  Now that I have Multibit as a backup, at least now I won't have to worry about my coins getting stuck.

Did you try rescanning the blockchain?  When you're checking the confirmation count in the side area of the app, you can click the button at the bottom I think to "rescan" the blockchain... this gives more updated information with your transaction.  I don't think it's really necessary to delete the app and reinstall it again, I don't think.

But yeah, the connectivity from Bread to Multibit is a very nice feature that I might look more into later in the future.

abercrombie
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 08:46:24 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2016, 03:26:27 PM by abercrombie

Did you try rescanning the blockchain?  When you're checking the confirmation count in the side area of the app, you can click the button at the bottom I think to "rescan" the blockchain... this gives more updated information with your transaction.  I don't think it's really necessary to delete the app and reinstall it again, I don't think.

But yeah, the connectivity from Bread to Multibit is a very nice feature that I might look more into later in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions, but yes I've tried the rescan of the blockchain.  I'm having similar problem described here by MarketNeutral.  When I try to rescan I end up with a rejected transaction error.

Only difference for me, is that uninstalling and reinstalling the App fixes the problem after resync of the blockchain.  Incoming transactions is fine, and outgoing does hit the blockchain but Breadwallet shows "unconfirmed" for outgoing transactions with 0/3 peers, and therefore thinks I still have the coins in my wallet.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 02:30:20 PM

Code:

It's been a love hate relationship with Breadwallet and unconfirmed transactions.    This helped me get my Breadwallet into Multibit.

Seems like transactions get stuck unconfirmed, and I end up having to remove and reinstall the iOS App, for things to work again.  Now that I have Multibit as a backup, at least now I won't have to worry about my coins getting stuck.

Pretty odd that you're all having such issues, never seen them. Maybe a hidden bug? Pretty sure our dev is on it...

To import a seed to MultiBit one just has to install MultiBit, import the seed and put any timestamp on it... You'll see your funds there. You only need a precise timestamp if you need to sign a message from an old address, as far as I've seen.
abercrombie
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 03:27:11 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2016, 03:59:10 PM by abercrombie

Seems another posted about a similar problem, see thread Unverified transaction in BREADWALLET.

For me, seems to be working good now.  I'm happy to report no recent reinstalls since my last post.  
Bandot

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

For the watch

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:51:22 AM

I've got pretty fast internet (75mbps) and despite this rescanning the blockchain is taking hours. Any fix for this?

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 12:23:03 PM

I've got pretty fast internet (75mbps) and despite this rescanning the blockchain is taking hours. Any fix for this?

Is your app updated? Rescanning time shouldn't take that long with the most recent versions (it never took me that much with any version, but the most recent ones improved sync time). If it is, maybe try to reinstall it.

How many addresses do you have? The more you have, the more it takes to rescan...
mamadmankan

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:20:38 PM

Manually selecting fees is quite difficult and error prone and is something that well designed wallet software should handle for you. If Bitcoin is to compete with other payment methods like credit cards, it has to just work without requiring users to understand things like fee selection and confirmations.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:37:16 PM

Manually selecting fees is quite difficult and error prone and is something that well designed wallet software should handle for you. If Bitcoin is to compete with other payment methods like credit cards, it has to just work without requiring users to understand things like fee selection and confirmations.

True, and that's pretty much what this wall does and pretty well Smiley
Bandot

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

For the watch

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 04:58:04 PM

Is your app updated? Rescanning time shouldn't take that long with the most recent versions (it never took me that much with any version, but the most recent ones improved sync time). If it is, maybe try to reinstall it.

How many addresses do you have? The more you have, the more it takes to rescan...
I've sent and received quite a lot so too many addresses could be the case. Any way I can reset it without deleting the wallet?

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:27:17 PM

I've sent and received quite a lot so too many addresses could be the case. Any way I can reset it without deleting the wallet?

That's probably your answer. I've already changed seed once, because my previous one was getting quite crowded and taking a lot of time to resumo scanning from the last point. I don't know if there is a way to prevent this issue in such an app.

You can reset your wallet by starting with another seed on the settings menu. Do not forget to backup your seed first.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 11:00:49 AM

Warning screen looks messed-up on iP5s (iOS8.4.1).
It's hard to read everything...

https://i.imgur.com/AQu6vjO.png

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 06:35:48 PM

Does anyone knows how can I completely uninstall breadwallet? Somehow I wrote a wrong word from the seed and I'm not able to create another wallet. Tried uninstall/reinstall, but I still have my old history active.

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 08:44:11 PM

Does anyone knows how can I completely uninstall breadwallet? Somehow I wrote a wrong word from the seed and I'm not able to create another wallet. Tried uninstall/reinstall, but I still have my old history active.

On settings, press create/recover another wallet. You can then start fresh.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 10:37:57 PM

On settings, press create/recover another wallet. You can then start fresh.

I know that already, but in order to create another wallet I need to enter the wallet's recovery phrase and I have one wrong word and I'm not able to delete my current wallet Smiley

Edit: Ok I'm silly. I found the "recovery phrase" option in settings. Job done!

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 08:42:52 PM

And finally, a nice wallet with a Watch app! Thanks you! Smiley The app is pretty interesting, seems to be well made just like the iOS one. I've seen an "early access" option on the update changelog, but I can't seem to see how to activate it...
voisine (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 01:04:29 AM

And finally, a nice wallet with a Watch app! Thanks you! Smiley The app is pretty interesting, seems to be well made just like the iOS one. I've seen an "early access" option on the update changelog, but I can't seem to see how to activate it...

Since the legacy fincnial system is provincial and divided, we currently only show the early access program option when we have a service ready for beta testing that is available in your region. (determined by IP address) For instance, USD Bitcoin exchange. We will eventually have bitcoin based services available globally that are not dependent on the patchwork of legacy currencies and payment networks.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 02:49:24 PM

Since the legacy fincnial system is provincial and divided, we currently only show the early access program option when we have a service ready for beta testing that is available in your region. (determined by IP address) For instance, USD Bitcoin exchange. We will eventually have bitcoin based services available globally that are not dependent on the patchwork of legacy currencies and payment networks.

So we'll eventually be able to sell/buy Bitcoin via the app? That sounds good...
LucioTan

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 01:55:13 PM

So we'll eventually be able to sell/buy Bitcoin via the app? That sounds good...

Yeah, seems very convenient to IOS devices since android has many wallets to choose from. The specs are good, seems easy to use and user friendly. Now, another bitcoin wallet on IOS to choose from. Awesome app Smiley
voisine (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
July 18, 2016, 06:17:47 PM

Yeah, seems very convenient to IOS devices since android has many wallets to choose from. The specs are good, seems easy to use and user friendly. Now, another bitcoin wallet on IOS to choose from. Awesome app Smiley

I like to think we're the original, since we've been one of the most popular since apple started letting bitcoin wallets in the app store, and the only one that isn't server-trusting. Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: