Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:50:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [FOR SALE] Crippled 5970  (Read 1760 times)
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:57:58 PM

Hello all,

In the process of my mining and overclocking experimentation I've managed to cripple my 5970. Basically the first core locks as soon as it leaves the idle state, making it useless for hooking a monitor to it. I still mine on the second core, which gives me ~300MHs at default clocks and low memory, using phoenix on ubuntu. I have replaced it today with a new (to me, that is) one and don't feel like building a new rig for it Smiley

So, you'll get a Saphire branded 5970 that you can mine with, provided you only use the second core. I can push it to 800Mhz without issues, except for the deafening sound of the stupid stock cooler. If you wanna you can also get the original box, the Dirt 2 voucher and the selection of connectors that came with it.

I offer no warranty whatsoever but am willing to take the card back for the price paid (except for shipping) if it doesn't behave like advertised. It's some 2.5Kg total with box and all, so expect 9 btc shipping to Europe, probably 1.5~2x that to the US. Have no base price, bid away.

Oh, and since I crippled it I have been mining non-stop, and that was some 2~3 months ago, so I'm pretty confident it will do good by the new owner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 12:31:38 AM

i bid 10 btc

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
sc8nt4u

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 01:29:54 AM

I have the same problem with my 5970  Undecided. Gigabyte by chance?
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 01:36:20 AM

I have the same problem with my 5970  Undecided. Gigabyte by chance?

Nope, Saphire. But the problem is, I believe, bad VRM, basically overheated to death. The card does at times operate the first core for a bit, so the GPU is certainly fine.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 05:10:32 AM

I'll bid 12.5 BTC

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
sc8nt4u

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 05:39:27 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2011, 06:07:01 AM by sc8nt4u

I have the same problem with my 5970  Undecided. Gigabyte by chance?

Nope, Saphire. But the problem is, I believe, bad VRM, basically overheated to death. The card does at times operate the first core for a bit, so the GPU is certainly fine.

Maybe I'll peel off the heatsink and take a look. Gigabyte's giving me a hard time on my RMA even though I ran it stock clocks. They said the serial number is not my region even though I bought it from Newegg. Plus, last time it took them 3 months to RMA my 8800GT. This is probably the last Gigabyte product I'm buying.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 05:52:32 AM

Depending on the amount of damage it might be possible to get it mining again.

Does it run fgl_glxgears on the damaged core?

If so then try this,

launch fgl_glxgears on that core, once it is running start the miner on that core, if it runs, then swiftly kill the gears process ... if it does get mining like this it may be prone to locking if it pauses too long between submitting shares (it drops back to idle and locks on relaunch) ... to prevent this run two instances of the miner on the same core and it will hardly ever find itself paused back to idle again ... unless you are unlucky (shares submitted from both process simultaneously or pool not responding)

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 05:09:17 PM

A little bump... if you've bid and are still interested please restate your bid, as the exchange rates have changed quite a bit. Shipping will be ~€30 for Europe (~$43). Probably close to twice that for US.

If so then try this,

launch fgl_glxgears on that core, once it is running start the miner on that core, if it runs, then swiftly kill the gears process ... if it does get mining like this it may be prone to locking if it pauses too long between submitting shares (it drops back to idle and locks on relaunch) ... to prevent this run two instances of the miner on the same core and it will hardly ever find itself paused back to idle again ... unless you are unlucky (shares submitted from both process simultaneously or pool not responding)

I can't get fgl_glxgears to work even on the other card with 2 good cores. I'm using a simple ubuntu server with manually installed X and drivers, so maybe I'm missing something.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:10:01 AM

A little bump... if you've bid and are still interested please restate your bid, as the exchange rates have changed quite a bit. Shipping will be ~€30 for Europe (~$43). Probably close to twice that for US.

If so then try this,

I can't get fgl_glxgears to work even on the other card with 2 good cores. I'm using a simple ubuntu server with manually installed X and drivers, so maybe I'm missing something.

Hmmm, if you have the fglrx drivers installed and pointing the adapter at a relevant display it should run ... what's the error message?

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:19:51 AM

Hmmm, if you have the fglrx drivers installed and pointing the adapter at a relevant display it should run ... what's the error message?

No error, in fact I can list the devices on a display just fine. The thing might be running, but I see no output on the monitor, and it might very well just be an issue with the xorg.conf settings. I had to move my computer to the garage (too hot now to keep it around) and I don't really have a place to put the monitor right away. I'll retry in the next few days when I get a moment.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:10:36 AM

You should see some output like
$ fgl_glxgears
Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
66 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.200 FPS

if it is running. If it is on display adapter of the monitor screen it will also pop-up a window with madly spinning gears.

You can change adapters which run the code by doing the

$export DISPLAY=:0.X ; fgl_glxgears

where X is the adapter you want to run on .... (0 is normally the default display adapter attached to the screen but hard to know without knowing you set-up config, etc).

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:33:19 AM

You should see some output like
$ fgl_glxgears
Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
66 frames in 5.0 seconds = 13.200 FPS

if it is running. If it is on display adapter of the monitor screen it will also pop-up a window with madly spinning gears.

You can change adapters which run the code by doing the

$export DISPLAY=:0.X ; fgl_glxgears

where X is the adapter you want to run on .... (0 is normally the default display adapter attached to the screen but hard to know without knowing you set-up config, etc).

Didn't get anything on running it passed the "Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer"

But to be honest I don't think the thing is honoring the sub display number or the driver is still trying for all cores. I used both "export DISPLAY=:0.0" and "fgl_glxgears -display :0.0" and both hang just the same, but if I *remove* the crippled card from the system it runs perfect. I'm guessing it is trying to access everything on bootstrapping and hangs?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: