Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:06:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy mining or buy BTC?  (Read 1243 times)
SMB-2525 (OP)

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:57:17 PM

Any discussion about whether someone should buy mining capacity or buy BTC inevitably gets into mining speculation.

I have created a companion thread under speculation to discuss the speculative elements of the decision.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=800842.0

My goal in starting this thread is to help people, especially new people, get a full understanding of the economics of mining. They need to understand that the value of mining capacity declines rapidly over time.  As the price of BTC drops, the trade-off between buying mining capacity verses buying BTC becomes tight. The justification for buying mining capacity becomes closely tied to much slower than historical difficulty increases.

I encourage everyone thinking about jumping into mining for the first time to understand the speculative elements of difficulty increase and how they impact the value of mining capacity in BTC or in dollars. The online calculators I have seen are all overly optimistic and do not give you a good understanding of the BTC value of mining.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:31:20 PM

Any discussion about whether someone should buy mining capacity or buy BTC inevitably gets into mining speculation.

I have created a companion thread under speculation to discuss the speculative elements of the decision.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=800842.0

My goal in starting this thread is to help people, especially new people, get a full understanding of the economics of mining. They need to understand that the value of mining capacity declines rapidly over time.  As the price of BTC drops, the trade-off between buying mining capacity verses buying BTC becomes tight. The justification for buying mining capacity becomes closely tied to much slower than historical difficulty increases.

I encourage everyone thinking about jumping into mining for the first time to understand the speculative elements of difficulty increase and how they impact the value of mining capacity in BTC or in dollars. The online calculators I have seen are all overly optimistic and do not give you a good understanding of the BTC value of mining.

Buy and hold on a brain wallet or a paper wallet, use your btc and spread the news that freedom is good and possible
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:46:48 PM

This shit has been talked to death. It doesnt matter, now go buy mining gear, dont listen to any one else, and just fantasize your ROI. You will be rich happy...................poor cash tho.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: