Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:23:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "All cryptography is breakable" criticism  (Read 7543 times)
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 06:17:55 AM

I apologize if this has been asked here already and I missed it (it seems obvious) - are there recent examples of cryptographic algorithms being broken in a sudden, catastrophic fashion? I see it much more likely that a "weakness" is published first, thus giving everyone some time to migrate to a new signature algo and send their coins to the new system. How hard would it be technically to enable spending of "old" ECDSA coins into the network based on a different signing algorithm?

The German enigma code. Although the adjectives "recent" and "catastrophic" are a matter of historical scope and political convictions / nationality, respectively. I suppose most people today would not call it catastrophic, but luckily.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3037

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:38:41 AM

I apologize if this has been asked here already and I missed it (it seems obvious) - are there recent examples of cryptographic algorithms being broken in a sudden, catastrophic fashion? I see it much more likely that a "weakness" is published first, thus giving everyone some time to migrate to a new signature algo and send their coins to the new system.
I don't think this has ever happened to any reputable modern algorithm (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). All now-broken cryptographic algorithms that I know of were widely known to be broken long before an actual attack was successfully demonstrated.

How hard would it be technically to enable spending of "old" ECDSA coins into the network based on a different signing algorithm?
Of course it's possible to send "old algorithm" coins to an "new algorithm" address. It's already happening: compressed public keys technically function as a new algorithm, even though it's all ECDSA.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: