Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:32:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Video Interview] Kenna and Shrem @ Future of Money Summit  (Read 5511 times)
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 04:17:45 AM

What? maybe a million people are using it...? ehh wut?
Where do you get these numbers, the statistics sites show about 100k active nodes daily, i assume most are the same each time... And i highly doubt there's 900k people using ewallets or whatever...

Have used it not are using it. It's really hard to estimate, the numbers are all over the place.
There's a lot of people that have downloaded the client or sent 1 btc then never used it again and they've still tried it.
If there is 100k active a day (didn't think it's that high at the moment) then there are a lot more than 100k that have tried it.

I liked that interview, bummer the camera was tilted and you can't see Charlie for half of it.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:45:16 PM

What? maybe a million people are using it...? ehh wut?
Where do you get these numbers, the statistics sites show about 100k active nodes daily,

It is impossible to know how many users as some have an account at an exchange or EWallet only and never show as their own node nor even have a balance on a bitcoin address that could be considered.

Incidentally, there were 642,432 addresses with non-zero balance, as of a recent block:

- http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/3524/how-many-unspent-transaction-outputs-are-there

That number alone doesn't say much but its change over time will help to indicate the level of growth occurring.

That number has been increasing at about 3% per month.  If the user population growth is at the same level that's about a 40% annual growth rate.

It's not inconceivable to think that in the year or so that Bitcoin started to be discussed in the tech arena that there have been a million people that signed up, and got a payment from the Faucet, for instance or made a small investment that remains on an exchange, for instance. 

The number of transactions on the blockchain show a much smaller active user base though.  Fortunately, that too is growing (and at a faster rate even)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 12:11:23 AM

charged addresses: merging addresses reduces anonymity so why would people consider addresses staying constant for a constant user count?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:09:15 AM

charged addresses: merging addresses reduces anonymity so why would people consider addresses staying constant for a constant user count?

When spending the client chooses coins so that the combination resulting in the least amount of change is the result.  (Ignoring special case, like coins that haven't confirmed yet).    Oftentimes this will "merge" coins whether that was the intention or not.

So an active user will generally not have much growth to the number of addresses over time even though each payment received is to a different address.  The ones that save without spending are the ones who will end up with many addresses holding unspent coins.

But you are correct, it is really hard to have any assurance that an estimate based on data like "addresses with unspent coins" is anywhere near accurate.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 02:43:04 AM

I hate to bump almost a month later but has there been any progress on this? It seemed really exciting and then I heard nothing more about it.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:04:45 AM

I hate to bump almost a month later but has there been any progress on this? It seemed really exciting and then I heard nothing more about it.

Actually yes, we should be launching it within 72 hours if all goes well  Grin

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 01:48:23 AM

Wow, cool.  Define "launching"?
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 02:32:53 AM

I just realized there is one small change we need to do which shouldnt take more than half a day.

Having said that, we have a few things to finish up- hence the reason I gave myself a 3 day time frame.

Test in a live environment, do a physical test, make sure its aesthetically pleasing, do some stress tests, and I think we are good to go.

It was a long project, took alot of contracts, down payments, late nights, brining on another full time programmer and full time attorney, but I think we got this shit ready.

I've already said more then I should  Cheesy

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 02:55:13 AM

I just realized there is one small change we need to do which shouldnt take more than half a day.

Having said that, we have a few things to finish up- hence the reason I gave myself a 3 day time frame.

Test in a live environment, do a physical test, make sure its aesthetically pleasing, do some stress tests, and I think we are good to go.

It was a long project, took alot of contracts, down payments, late nights, brining on another full time programmer and full time attorney, but I think we got this shit ready.

So like... is it this bitcoin card thingy? Because that would be nice to get out on the streets asap. Otherwise, I'll wait and see, I guess.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 03:06:12 AM

Will it work with Entel in Chile?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 03:38:58 AM

So like... is it this bitcoin card thingy? Because that would be nice to get out on the streets asap. Otherwise, I'll wait and see, I guess.

No, it's not the Bitcoin Card.

Will it work with Entel in Chile?

Not yet, but it will include Boleto in Brazil.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 06:10:02 AM

So, by launching, you mean, being ready to begin production to pass off to Walmart?

Basically, what I am after is, when will we begin to see the cards in Walmart?
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:41:24 PM

So, by launching, you mean, being ready to begin production to pass off to Walmart?

The system is already built and tested in Walmart and our other partners, nothing more they need to do.

Also, I mentioned earlier there are no cards.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:11:58 PM

The system is already built and tested in Walmart and our other partners, nothing more they need to do.

Also, I mentioned earlier there are no cards.
Oh, interesting...  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: