Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:42:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [VIDEO] New Animated Bitcoin Video! "Screw Banks" make it viral!  (Read 6090 times)
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 11:46:47 PM

effective marketing appeals to emotion, not intellect.
Surprisingly true, sir.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2012, 11:50:21 PM

effective marketing appeals to emotion, not intellect.
Surprisingly true, sir.

That's exactly the point.  bring peoples pain and frustration to the surface, then offer the solution.  That's way better than just blabbing about bitcoin from the get-go.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:15:50 AM

Bold words from a company that has HIGHER fees than Paypal!

Is Bitpay charging over 2.9% ??
Yes, if you don't use USD... just look at their page.

I'm not sure if anger and frustrations should be the emotions that make you use Bitcoin - but I guess "anything goes" is also a marketing principle, right? Wink

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 12:20:59 AM

I'm not sure if anger and frustrations should be the emotions that make you use Bitcoin - but I guess "anything goes" is also a marketing principle, right? Wink

Bit-Pay is less than PayPal at all price points.  for sales < $20, substantially less.

https://bit-pay.com/accountingHelp.html

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:32:25 AM

FYI, the origins of the project:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52109.0

And a blog post referring to the bitcoin-based crowdfunding:

The video started out as a project on Max Keiser (@MaxKeiser)’s Pirate My Film (PMF) (@PirateMyFilm) crowdfunding platform.  Pledges at $5 and up were made by the Bitcoin community, and once the project was fully funded, the only way to send funds was with bitcoins.

The project had the goal of $1,500 USD but the project was oversubscribed and and extra 15% of funds were collected from 114 “shareholders”.  Though PMF does offer equity-based projects and each $5 contribution is referred to as a share, this particular project was not pitched as a revenue-generating film so there will be no dividends given to contributors, which the site labels as “shareholders”.  Screw Banks was the first project on PMF in which Bitcoins were accepted for payment.

- http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/22683633233

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 02:24:38 AM

I originally had some concerns about the overall tone of the video, but I think in the end it came out great.   Especially for a Max Keiser audience.  If you haven't checked it out, the page showing the cast of characters is hilarious.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 02:26:21 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2012, 02:56:10 AM by finway

I downloaded it , but i can't play it.

What's the file type ?  .flv or .swf ?

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 02:49:57 AM

Bit-Pay is less than PayPal at all price points.  for sales < $20, substantially less.

https://bit-pay.com/accountingHelp.html

For me, paypal would be charging 37 cents on a $2.50 transaction (a single bumper sticker shipped in the US), bit-pay charges me 2.5 cents.  Paypal on small orders is 10x as expensive as bit-pay.

I actually have shipped out orders that cost $1.48, so paypal would be charging about a 20% fee on those orders.  Screw paypal.  Smiley

mollison

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 06:03:05 AM

There are definitely good things about the video, but I have big problems with a number of elements.

(1) The "Occupy Wall Street" movement is anti-capitalist, and I don't like seeing bitcoin associated with anti-Wall Street sentiment.

(2) The idea of brokers "stealing" from clients is ridiculous. If your broker is stealing from you, you should take them to court and get a new broker.

(3) The notion of "screwing" the banks is insulting and juvenile. "We" (the "bitcoin community") are not out to screw anyone.

Overall, it's clear to anyone with half a brain that this video was designed purely for the sake of pulling in people who are overly emotional and irrational. That doesn't reflect well on the "bitcoin community."

And frankly, the kind of ignorant people who would fall for this kind of demagoguery are not going to be early adopters, anyway.

In contrast, I believe that someone could create a video that has a high degree of emotional appeal, while still arguing for bitcoin intelligently.

I know there will be a lot of disagreement with what I've said, but that's OK.. just my 2 cents (.004 bitcoins).
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 06:12:34 AM

This video is full of win.

I want to donate bitcoins to whoever is responsible for it, in acknowledgement of its awesomeness.  I don't want to screw around with creating an account on piratemyfilm.com or "queueing shares" (whatever the heck that means).

Could you please put a donation address somewhere on the screwbanks.net website?  Thanks, and rock on!

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 06:21:30 AM

This video is full of win.

I want to donate bitcoins to whoever is responsible for it, in acknowledgement of its awesomeness.  I don't want to screw around with creating an account on piratemyfilm.com or "queueing shares" (whatever the heck that means).

Could you please put a donation address somewhere on the screwbanks.net website?  Thanks, and rock on!

Thanks man!

The piratemyfilm window is closed.  you can donate directly through the red donate link at the site

http://screwbanks.net

which goes to lovebitcoins.  just click the 10BTC donate button and you can give whatever you want.  if you'd like your name listed as a supporter, enter that before you hit the bitcoin button.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 06:25:14 AM

(2) The idea of brokers "stealing" from clients is ridiculous. If your broker is stealing from you, you should take them to court and get a new broker.

I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world - but in Australia about the lowest cost for a trade appears to be around $10  
Now that's trivial to most people who are trading - but it's an entry barrier tax on the small player for which I can see little excuse in an age of electronically mediated trades.
Still - I don't really see how Bitcoin is going to help with that in any reasonable timeframe even if it does grow significantly, so I did find it a somewhat strange inclusion in the video.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 06:30:45 AM

I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world - but in Australia about the lowest cost for a trade appears to be around $10  
Now that's trivial to most people who are trading - but it's an entry barrier tax on the small player for which I can see little excuse in an age of electronically mediated trades.
Still - I don't really see how Bitcoin is going to help with that in any reasonable timeframe even if it does grow significantly, so I did find it a somewhat strange inclusion in the video.

Guys look into MF Global, that will answer all your questions.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/mf-global-client-theft-estimate-doubled-15-billion

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 06:50:35 AM

There are definitely good things about the video, but I have big problems with a number of elements.

(1) The "Occupy Wall Street" movement is anti-capitalist

I didn't see anything resembling OWS specifically in there.

I don't like seeing bitcoin associated with anti-Wall Street sentiment.

Might you consider why this particular headline was included in Bitcoin blockchain - Block 0:

The coinbase parameter (seen above in hex) contains, along with the normal data, the following text[1]:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Genesis_block

Speaking of, ... has anyone heard if anyone from MF Global or JP Morgue been charged with a crime yet?

(3) The notion of "screwing" the banks is insulting and juvenile. "We" (the "bitcoin community") are not out to screw anyone.

I interpreted the use of that word as a slang word used in the following referenced from Dictionary.com:

screw off, Slang .
  b.) to leave; go away.

- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/screw?s=t

So, not as in "to cheat" but as in, "stop using them" or "forget them!"

In contrast, I believe that someone could create a video that has a high degree of emotional appeal, while still arguing for bitcoin intelligently.

There was more than $1,500 raised for this project, but I believe even that didn't cover all the costs.

If a crowdfunding effort to do that as you describe, I'ld contribute!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 06:58:15 AM

I downloaded it , but i can't play it.

What's the file type ?  .flv or .swf ?

MPEG4 version 2, which may or may not be in an FLV wrapper depending on which file you downloaded (YouTube doesn't like to make this simple).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
kangasbros

Activity: 812

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:02:03 AM

Well, if someone thinks they can do a better video, why not create one? It was crowdfunded operation, and if you have a good proposal, you will surely get investments.

I liked it - a little humorous and simplistic, this will work for certain kind of people.

eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 08:07:31 AM

you can donate directly through the red donate link ... which goes to lovebitcoins.

Yeah, that's why I asked for an address to donate to the people responsible for the video.

Who is lovebitcoins?  Are they solely responsible for the video?  Are they btcpay?  Are they piratemyfilm?  Are they something else?  Sorry if this sounds stupid.  The video is awesome; the confusion over this menagerie of organizations was slightly less than awesome.

Again, thanks for the great video!

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 08:16:35 AM

Good job guys!
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 08:32:13 AM

-1. If I had seen this video when I was first introduced to Bitcoin (and hadn't been already familiar with the concept of cryptocurrency), I'd run for my life and wouldn't come back for a year or so. It only alienates normal, non-anarchist people.

I agree though that making your audience believe they already agree with you, rather than trying to convince them of anything, is a sound Demagogy technique.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
kangasbros

Activity: 812

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 09:28:54 AM

-1. If I had seen this video when I was first introduced to Bitcoin (and hadn't been already familiar with the concept of cryptocurrency), I'd run for my life and wouldn't come back for a year or so. It only alienates normal, non-anarchist people.

I agree though that making your audience believe they already agree with you, rather than trying to convince them of anything, is a sound Demagogy technique.

This video isn't aimed for the normal people. It is for the zeitgeist-y anti-banking people, same niche as Max Keiser is targeting. weusecoins.com is for the mainstream.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: