Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:03:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL "EasyMiner" Released. Reviews?  (Read 21480 times)
Garr255 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 04:39:26 AM

I just looked at their site and downloaded their new EasyMiner. I'm on my playbook atm, so that's not going to do me much good. Tongue

Has anyone started using it yet? I'd like to see some screenshots!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 05:09:56 AM

I just looked at their site and downloaded their new EasyMiner. I'm on my playbook atm, so that's not going to do me much good. Tongue

Interesting.

I forgot to shut off cgminer first, so it seems to have hung here. Not sure whether to abort or not. I hit the "run a test" button, and the small box popped up saying it was going to do a firmware update.

EDIT: I hit "abort" and it changed the display to "aborting..." but still didn't close. I then closed cgminer and nothing changed. I started cgminer again, and it started mining as usual. I don't mind if these windows want to take their time closing, but they are modal on top of everything so they are annoying.

EDIT EDIT: I hit "quit' in the main window, and it quit instantly.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Inspector 2211

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 05:34:31 AM

Interesting.

I forgot to shut off cgminer first, so it seems to have hung here. Not sure whether to abort or not. I hit the "run a test" button, and the small box popped up saying it was going to do a firmware update.

EDIT: I hit "abort" and it changed the display to "aborting..." but still didn't close. I then closed cgminer and nothing changed. I started cgminer again, and it started mining as usual. I don't mind if these windows want to take their time closing, but they are modal on top of everything so they are annoying.

The $64,000 question is: Did they include new firmware that performs better than the typical 826 MH/s?

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:26:14 AM

Interesting.

The $64,000 question is: Did they include new firmware that performs better than the typical 826 MH/s?

If they had I'm sure there'd be a thread from BFL here stating they have a new feature available along with some CAD drawings or something  Cheesy
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 08:03:32 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2012, 09:24:20 AM by BFL-Engineer

Interesting.

If they had I'm sure there'd be a thread from BFL here stating they have a new feature available along with some CAD drawings or something  Cheesy

Well there are two things I must point out:

1) This is a beta release, and the idea behind this release is to enable users to manually
adjust the operating speed of the units. The slower the unit runs, the more resistant it will
be to warmer environments (and as a result, unit will no longer throttle). Of course we have
not officially announced it yet. An updated version will be available in about 12 hours, which will
remove the dummy screen seen when 'Run a test' is clicked and will also have some other changes.

2) The unit runs at exactly 832MH/s. This means that it will always take the unit exactly 5160ms
to complete the whole 4 billion nonce check. Any number that is provided by pools or different
miners, will not be very accurate since it takes job-availability, network latencty and nonceless
jobs into consideration. These factors do not affect the hash speed of the unit.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 09:05:21 AM

Any way to allow us to mine where we want,pools other than Eclipse??

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
xtral
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 10:00:45 AM

When i download the EasyMIner i get virus a warning from Aviar   Angry

Spende für ein Weizen an: 1NdhPG76eEzj86BDgihSWvVYSQKcA17iok
BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 10:54:01 AM

When i download the EasyMIner i get virus a warning from Aviar   Angry

Anti-virus business is one tricky business. They make most of their money
by falsely claiming virus existance and the fact that they wiped it out, so now
you are safe.

Either way there is no virus in easyminer. It is fully written by Butterflylabs Inc.
Not a single component, DLL, library or any other third party software has been
used in easyminer. The code is a little more than 15,000 lines so far.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:13:23 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2012, 11:44:34 AM by bitcoindaddy

Do the speed changes done by Easyminer shown here:  http://www.butterflylabs.com/drivers/ "stick"? In other words, can I use Easyminer to change the speed of the device and then go back to cgminer and run at that speed?  

BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 11:24:35 AM

Do the speed changes done by Easyminer shown here:  http://www.butterflylabs.com/drivers/ "stick"? In other words, can I use Easyminer to change the speed of the device and then go back to cgminer and run at that speed? 

Inaba has a reputation for being abusive and abrasive in these forums. I have no desire to being forced to mine on his pool. (He's called me stupid before just for voicing my opinions).

We will provide you with different firmwares at different speeds. Once you upload a firmware to a unit, it will stay in the unit
until you upload another firmware. So in other words, if you upload 768MH/s firmware, then your unit will perform 768MH/s
(regardless of what miner you use or how many times the unit is switched on and off) until another firmware is uploaded.

Regarding the Eclpise pool, I must say that no forcing was ever intended. We may add more pools in the future, but at the
time being, Eclpise is integrated due to technical reasons and ease of integration/coding.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 01:49:31 PM

I just had a chance to have a poke at it again, and it actually is pretty nice. Although it is stuck to Eclipse, and the one dialog is broken, the rest of it seems to work. It is a tiny (414kb) executable that doesn't install, just runs. It has a useful function to blink an individual unit's front panel light rapidly for identification. It will do a test run of 100, 1000, or 3000 shares, and report back lots of useful info such as the number of throttles, number of errors, temperature, etc. The firmware upload option asks for an external file which I assume will be provided later; it is of file type "BFL Secured Firmware (*.bflsec)"

(Click for larger pic)

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 03:09:19 PM

Any APIs (HTTP or otherwise) to retrieve status, statistics of your miner?

This.  I would like to see some ANUBIS like web monitoring for an entire farm.  Don't waste time/resources trying to do it yourself just provide a mechanism to get low level data via an API.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 03:10:57 PM

Any APIs (HTTP or otherwise) to retrieve status, statistics of your miner?

This.  I would like to see some ANUBIS like web monitoring for an entire farm.  Don't waste time/resources trying to do it yourself just provide a mechanism to get low level data via an API.
Like others have mentioned, I think it will only be used for firmware upgrades, and you can stick with cgminer etc for your large farm needs. Hopefully they will release more details of device communications, so the cgminer et al can get some nifty features like making the front LED blink on command.

Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 03:23:04 PM

We will provide you with different firmwares at different speeds. Once you upload a firmware to a unit, it will stay in the unit
until you upload another firmware. So in other words, if you upload 768MH/s firmware, then your unit will perform 768MH/s
(regardless of what miner you use or how many times the unit is switched on and off) until another firmware is uploaded.

Regarding the Eclpise pool, I must say that no forcing was ever intended. We may add more pools in the future, but at the
time being, Eclpise is integrated due to technical reasons and ease of integration/coding.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
When do you expect the different speed firmware to become available for download?
BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 03:36:54 PM

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
When do you expect the different speed firmware to become available for download?

In a few hours...

dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 06:31:44 PM

Did BFL answer this or am I just blind?

poop!
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 06:36:30 PM

In 4-6 weeks they will release a miner that allows you to mine anywhere you like.

In the meantime they are paying Inaba for doing the PR and tech support around here by locking easy miner to his pool only.
BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 06:57:16 PM

We've forgot to mention one small thing. The blink command for the units is 'ZMX'.
Unit only accepts this command and does not reply to it. Once sent, the unit will
blink for a small period of time.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 06:59:40 PM

We must say that the Easyminer was designed to target novice and new users. Professional
users may use their miner of their choice. This is our first release and in the future, other
pools will be added to Easyminer.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

zefir
Donator

Activity: 919
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:11:18 PM

[...]
Professional users may use their miner of their choice.
[...]

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Not to claim I'm a professional user, but I'm a Linux only one. Any chance to also get the FW-upload command sequence documented?

Would be great not to have a spare Windows machine available just to update the Single's firmware. Or would that work from within a VM?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: