Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:54:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL "EasyMiner" Released. Reviews?  (Read 21479 times)
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2012, 05:59:40 AM

Update:

I tried flashing the 792 & 800 firmware & the unit still throttles (room temp 76 degrees f) & won't get over 300 mh/s.

However with the 768 firmware I can mine with room temps of up to 84 degress f @ 760 mh/s,I opened my windows just to see if the higher temps would make it throttle & no throttleing.

Next step is to turn down the A/C to 70 degrees f & keep flashing firmware,higher each time & see what happens.

Before I do,is there any limit to flashing?? I already flashed 4 times so far............don't think so,but its better to ask Wink

Also,if after all this & I still can't run anything but the 768 FW,I may try reapplying the H/S compound.Those that have done this,what compound are you using??

I always use Ceramique on CPU's & GPU's,but it's pretty thick stuff & I'm thinking it may be too thick for this application.

I've been keeping up with rkozola's issues to maybe be enlightened as my problem is similiar.

BTW,I know USB 2.0 works,but is there anything to gain with using USB 3.0 ??

Please let us know how the unit works after reapplying the H/S compound.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 06:37:09 AM

Update:

I tried flashing the 792 & 800 firmware & the unit still throttles (room temp 76 degrees f) & won't get over 300 mh/s.

However with the 768 firmware I can mine with room temps of up to 84 degress f @ 760 mh/s,I opened my windows just to see if the higher temps would make it throttle & no throttleing.

Next step is to turn down the A/C to 70 degrees f & keep flashing firmware,higher each time & see what happens.

Before I do,is there any limit to flashing?? I already flashed 4 times so far............don't think so,but its better to ask Wink

Also,if after all this & I still can't run anything but the 768 FW,I may try reapplying the H/S compound.Those that have done this,what compound are you using??

I always use Ceramique on CPU's & GPU's,but it's pretty thick stuff & I'm thinking it may be too thick for this application.

I've been keeping up with rkozola's issues to maybe be enlightened as my problem is similiar.

BTW,I know USB 2.0 works,but is there anything to gain with using USB 3.0 ??

Please let us know how the unit works after reapplying the H/S compound.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

So,I am assuming there is no real limit to how many flashes one can do to a unit ??

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Phraust

Activity: 206

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2012, 07:23:08 AM

I've flashed them a number of times, with a couple bad flashes too (something interrupted it halfway through).

Here are how they look after mining for two days:

I'll probably be taking them down tomorrow to check the thermal paste.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 07:29:25 AM

I've flashed them a number of times, with a couple bad flashes too (something interrupted it halfway through).

Shocked Nice setup Shocked

What compound are you going to use ?? I'm taking a survey  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2012, 09:30:26 AM

Shocked Nice setup Shocked

What compound are you going to use ?? I'm taking a survey  Grin

Thanks Cheesy. Honestly, I have no idea yet, i was going to do some research to see what has the best reviews.
BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

It seems that one of your units is throttling. You may want to check heatsink, Intake air temperature.
Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 06:55:24 AM

Okay, so I've re-done the thermal paste on the three units that were causing the most trouble...

The worst one, #8, is now running at 807.7/828.5 @ 54.0C.  Much better than it was, but still not keeping up with the others.

The second one, #5, is now running at 857.7/848.8 @ 48.6 C.

The third one I redid, #7, was dropping off yesterday.  It's now running 857.7/848.8849.1 @ 55.3C.

I just noticed that it was running better than all of the others by a hair.  #7 is pulling 857.7/849.1 where all of the other's  (except for #5 and #8) are at 857.7/848.8.  Weird.

The thermal paste seems to be at the heart of the issue.  I took a bunch of pictures of the process, and I'll put together a walkthrough.  One thing I noticed was that this one, #7, had a diffferent thermal paste and fan connector than the others.  The thermal paste was silvery, metallic looking, where #5 and #8 were white.  #7's hadn't dried up and became "lumpy" like the others.  The connector was also a black 2-pin, instead of the white three pin connector.

I used the AcrtiCleaner 2-part stuff, as per instructions.  q-tips and paper towels to get off the gunk with a quick wipe from a no-lint swatch I had after using the second cleaner.  Reapplied a dot of ArcticSilver 5 to the center of each chip.  They say the burn-in is around 200 hours, with a steady drop in temps over that time, we'll see.

*I may have goofed up #8, as I didn't apply enough ArticSilver the first time, and had to pull it off and apply another dot, so there may be bubbles.  I'll let it run throughout the night and see how it's averaging in the morning before I do anything else.  Oh, and all 10 units are using the 872 firmware.
Phraust

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 09:48:45 PM

Well, after two day sof running, #5 and #8 have returned to throttling (709 and 604 mhps).  total bummer Sad

I guess I'll try flashing them lower to see how they handle it.
lightbox

Activity: 212

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 02:29:17 PM

Hi, I have my BFL's up and running but wanted to flash them.. the only windows machine I have here is running VISTA (my normal mining is all on Linux), so i grabbed the EasyMiner_V_1.1_Beta to see if I could flash one with the higher firmware, but cant get it to run.... my device manager shows the one BFL Single i plugged in properly on COM3 (well COM3 appeared when i plug it in), but when I open EasyMiner, (the only option available is "administrative mode") and click "Proceed", I get the windows dialog "BitFORCE-Miner has stopped working  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Any idea how to fix this?

James

https://www.canadianbitcoins.com for quick & easy buy/sell with $CAD
Canada's Oldest Bitcoin Brokerage.  Serving Canadian Bitcoiners since 2011!
BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 02:35:16 PM

Hi, I have my BFL's up and running but wanted to flash them.. the only windows machine I have here is running VISTA (my normal mining is all on Linux), so i grabbed the EasyMiner_V_1.1_Beta to see if I could flash one with the higher firmware, but cant get it to run.... my device manager shows the one BFL Single i plugged in properly on COM3 (well COM3 appeared when i plug it in), but when I open EasyMiner, (the only option available is "administrative mode") and click "Proceed", I get the windows dialog "BitFORCE-Miner has stopped working  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

James

Hello James,

One possibility is that windows is denying access to COM port. This can be resolved if you right-click on Easyminer
and click on 'Run as administrator'. Please run this test and let us know how it goes. Of course, I must add that
Windows Vista is probably the worst operating system ever developed since the Big Bang.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 02:36:22 PM

Of course, I must add that Windows Vista is probably the worst operating system ever developed since the Big Bang.
Hahaha! So true.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:03:03 PM

No, that honor should be left for Windows ME

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
lightbox

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:08:23 PM

James

Hello James,

One possibility is that windows is denying access to COM port. This can be resolved if you right-click on Easyminer
and click on 'Run as administrator'. Please run this test and let us know how it goes. Of course, I must add that
Windows Vista is probably the worst operating system ever developed since the Big Bang.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Nope still the same problem, I've tried the various compatibility modes as well, still no luck.  Also, tried it on a windowsXP VM i had here (VirtualBox) and get the samet thing!

No arguments from my side about window (especially vista) sucking, so that begs the question, where's the linux based firmware updater?? Smiley I don't want to use your easyminer software to mine, i just want to flash the singles then put them back on my Linux machines.

James

BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:11:01 PM

James

Hello James,

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Nope still the same problem, I've tried the various compatibility modes as well, still no luck.  Also, tried it on a windowsXP VM i had here (VirtualBox) and get the samet thing!

No arguments from my side about window (especially vista) sucking, so that begs the question, where's the linux based firmware updater?? Smiley I don't want to use your easyminer software to mine, i just want to flash the singles then put them back on my Linux machines.

James

Is there any other COM devices or virtual COM devices connected to your computer?

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

lightbox

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:13:52 PM

James

Hello James,

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Nope still the same problem, I've tried the various compatibility modes as well, still no luck.  Also, tried it on a windowsXP VM i had here (VirtualBox) and get the samet thing!

James

Is there any other COM devices or virtual COM devices connected to your computer?

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Nope, only the one listed in Device Manager

->Ports (COM & LPT)
  -> USB Serial Port (COM3)

BFL-Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:16:22 PM

James

Hello James,

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

James

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

->Ports (COM & LPT)

I must say that this is very strange. Easyminer is compiled under XP with .NET version 2.0. It's the first instance of
such failure. We will investigate the issue and come back with some response. Has this computer ever been infected with
virus or trojans before?

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

lightbox

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:22:49 PM

James

Hello James,

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

James

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

->Ports (COM & LPT)

I must say that this is very strange. Easyminer is compiled under XP with .NET version 2.0. It's the first instance of
such failure. We will investigate the issue and come back with some response. Has this computer ever been infected with
virus or trojans before?

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

No its a fresh install -- i shrunk my linux partition, and setup a dualboot with the dell-provided windows vista CD, let it do all its windows updates, downloaded chrome, downloaded easyminer.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 03:24:43 PM

No its a fresh install -- i shrunk my linux partition, and setup a dualboot with the dell-provided windows vista CD, let it do all its windows updates, downloaded chrome, downloaded easyminer.
If it's just a throwaway install that you will never use again, might as well go with Win7 30 day trial install.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:30:36 PM

You probably need to install the FTDI driver if it's a fresh install.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
lightbox

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:37:50 PM

You probably need to install the FTDI driver if it's a fresh install.

Nope it installed automatically when i plugged in the BFL Single.

Right click Com3->Properties->Driver
Driver Provider: FTDI
Driver Date: 4/10/2012
Driver Version: 2.8.24.0

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: