Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:37:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: StrongCoin - How can I make it easier for people new to Bitcoin.  (Read 943 times)
dogisland (OP)

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:50:57 AM

Hi,

StrongCoin https://www.strongcoin.com has been running successfully now for many months with over a 1000 users. But, the feedback I'm getting is that it's not beginner friendly.

If you look at the following guide for developers http://lovebitcoins.org/developers.html the criteria for a beginner wallet would be to hold the balances in a Fiat currency say USD and use the Bitcoin network to transfer funds around. Any BTC funds received at the wallet would instantly be turned back into USD.

Is that something you'd like to see in a Bitcoin wallet ?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 09:20:14 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2012, 06:35:51 PM by Stephen Gornick

Awesome feature!  

That would help lessen the fears that exchange rate risk would cause the value to drop significantly.

Would Strongcoin need to hold the funds for the USD wallet though?  This brings centralization, like what Mt. Gox offers with their mobile wallet or Bit-Pay's client does, I believe.

I wonder though if the same concept employed for StrongCoin's BTC wallet could be employed for USDs, but instead of storing Bitcoin private keys  it stores redeemable codes from an exchange instead.

e.g., StrongCoin doesn't do the transaction, only hosts the javascript software that runs the wallet and protects the private code (e.g., Mt. Gox redeemable code) in the wallet in the browser.

Then to spend, the redeemable code is redeemed at the exchange, and a change transaction for any unspent amount is returned as a new redeemable code stored in the user's wallet in the browser.

This way, the funds are never held by Strongcoin.  If access to the users's exchange account credentials were available, the code could even do thet transaction directly without even touching Strongcoin (i.e., using the API for the redeemable codes).  Though I think for a newbie handling this without a second set of credentials (to the exchange) would make it even more useful, thus some intermediary for spending funds from the redeemable codes would enable this and would work nicely it seems.

Is this anything along the lines of what you were considering (or would consider)?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

dogisland (OP)

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 07:13:21 PM

Awesome feature!  

That would help lessen the fears that exchange rate risk would cause the value to drop significantly.

Would Strongcoin need to hold the funds for the USD wallet though?  This brings centralization, like what Mt. Gox offers with their mobile wallet or Bit-Pay's client does, I believe.

Is this anything along the lines of what you were considering (or would consider)?

I don't want to hold funds centrally as it goes against what I wanted StrongCoin to be about, which to me is an e-wallet with no counterparty risk.

I'll have to think through the redeemable codes idea, perhaps that would be a good fit.
Jurek

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 09:45:51 AM

Dogisland, since you didn't answer my email and did not post anything on the forums / blog / twitter I'm trying to contact you here.

What's going on with "We're having problems making payments at the moment. We're testing a new solution which should be ready tomorrow."? As I said in the email, 'tomorow' was yesterday. I registered my account and transfered my funds a few days ago to your service without ANY issues nor any information how I WON'T BE ABLE TO MOVE MY FUNDS when I do.

What's going on? This is really serious, each hour of delay is a loss of money to me - and you can't even answer my email? Man c'mon! Please thix whatever is wrong ASAP, and for the love of god TALK to your clients, please...

How long till the issue is fixed?

PSYCHOTICBOY IS A THIEF AND A SCAMMER BE WARNED!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=129941
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: