Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:35:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why *some guys claim Monero is the BEST coin ?  (Read 2448 times)
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:48:18 PM

I dont like Monero
I don't like Sweater Vests

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NarC

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

BitcoinStoreStarter.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 05:53:23 PM

I dont like Monero
I don't like Sweater Vests
I don't like Sweater Vests and Monero

Unbelive

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:39:03 PM

Saying it's Better than Bitcoin and Monero will have a larger Market cap very Soon.. in the Billions of dollars.

You are wrong here. Monero will have 1-5% of Bitcoin capitalization.

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:50:06 AM

It doesn't seem to matter how i ask or how many times i get attacked in response in other topics.

There is a couple guys here that are making incredible claims about Monero on a regular basis..
Saying it's Better than Bitcoin and Monero will have a larger Market cap very Soon.. in the Billions of dollars.
A few guys have claimed it's the no. 2 coin behind Bitcoin right now etc

I'm stunned ! WTF ?

What is going here guys ?
Can these grandiose claims be backed up ?

I am asking because i want to know !

Seems to me a lot of guys like Name dropping Monero around here and talking about it constantly feeding off the attention their getting.
But how about explaining why it's the best coin ever created.. even better than Bitcoin ?
If it is ? then here you go yet another opportunity to prove it and if you do then congrats..
i just gave you an opportunity to attract new users right ?

I think this is a reasonable question and i have a hunch what people will say but i want them to say it.

its because all other coins in here are clones of bitcoin and cryptonote / monero is not.

cryptonote is a 100% new codebase that INCLUDES anonyminity where it's IMPOSSIBLE to crack.  people picked monero as the winner because it was the first one that was not a 100% scam.  boolberry came a month later.  people basically are saying "cryptonote is the best ever"  "monero is the best cryptonote"

hey - u asked.  I don't like the whale guy either and think he's full of s*** but cryptonote both bbr and monero are ok in my book.

a bit on the vague side but at least you tried to answer the question.. i appreciate that.

edit:
i also suspected that was the answer but that does not equal the grand statements being made.
in other words the claims of how good it is does not make sense to me after hearing the reply.
see what i mean people ?

i don't consider a coin a community.. to me they are disctinct.
so if the coin is solid it can still be destroyed by lunatics flogging it in a bad way i think.

you can all see clearly here i asked a fair question in response to massively grandiose statements being made a lot and look at the topic replies i got.. LOL
i seen why did i ask a lot and well duh.. i wanted an answer *seriously.

the reason i asked is because i pointed out how i was not getting an answer on other topics
and i felt if i created this one i could get the answer i was looking for and then i wouldn't have to keep asking so much on other topics.
pointless if it was never getting an answer anyway lol

FUD first & ask questions later™
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:01:02 AM

... and we need yet another Monero thread for this? No matter on what side one is, in the Modero debate, there is no need for yet another Monero thread.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:43:26 PM

... and we need yet another Monero thread for this? No matter on what side one is, in the Modero debate, there is no need for yet another Monero thread.

nice sig..

nice attempt at censorship..

FUD first & ask questions later™
_nur

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 12:10:09 AM

i'm still trying to figure this out

can someone summarize?
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2016, 01:43:49 AM

i'm still trying to figure this out

can someone summarize?

Reality is subjective. If you think Monero is BEST coin, then it is. If you think Monero SUCKS, then it sucks. Cheesy
btcbug

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 02:39:25 AM

TPTB/Anonymint could answer this question in depth I think.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 03:27:48 AM

Is this seriously even a question?  I could go into great depth, but I will simplify things enormously and use as few words as possible.  

Unlike Bitcoin, the blockchain itself is encrypted so no one can see your transactions or balances (unless you permit them).  The privacy features enable fungibility, so unlike Bitcoin (who's history can be traced) one XMR really does equal one XMR.  As well there is no block size; it has a flexible block size which can accommodate a high number of transactions per second.  And don't forget the small perpetual tail emission so there will always be new Monero to mine, incentivizing miners with a reward beyond transaction fees.  Finally, I will mention an often overlooked feature - full anonymity is only available when running a full Monero node, incentivizing them.

It is the most advanced money ever created, and true digital cash.  It was launched fairly, with no premine or ICO nonsense, and it's pure proof-of-work with no silly add-on and untested cryptography.. It's the first time in human history we've had something this and is literally one of the most important inventions in the history of our species.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 09:24:05 AM

Is this seriously even a question?  I could go into great depth, but I will simplify things enormously and use as few words as possible.  

Unlike Bitcoin, the blockchain itself is encrypted so no one can see your transactions or balances (unless you permit them).  The privacy features enable fungibility, so unlike Bitcoin (who's history can be traced) one XMR really does equal one XMR.  As well there is no block size; it has a flexible block size which can accommodate a high number of transactions per second.  And don't forget the small perpetual tail emission so there will always be new Monero to mine, incentivizing miners with a reward beyond transaction fees.  Finally, I will mention an often overlooked feature - full anonymity is only available when running a full Monero node, incentivizing them.

It is the most advanced money ever created, and true digital cash.  It was launched fairly, with no premine or ICO nonsense, and it's pure proof-of-work with no silly add-on and untested cryptography.. It's the first time in human history we've had something this and is literally one of the most important inventions in the history of our species.

How does any of the above make it any better than, say Bytecoin, Boolberry or DigitalNote?

Launching BitMonero with a crippled miner for the plebs and an optimised miner for the dev controlled botnets hardly constitutes a 'fair launch'.

Apart from a few tweeks on emmission, block frequency and later ring signatures what has achieved in over two years that could cause you to brag that it is the best cryptonote, let alone on a par with Bitcoin or Litecoin?

On the other hand, the biggest problem for Monero has been the behaviour of the devs, whales, bagholders and fanboys who's appalling behaviour has alienated just about any person in crypto.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 09:59:37 AM

How does any of the above make it any better than, say Bytecoin, Boolberry or DigitalNote?

Launching BitMonero with a crippled miner for the plebs and an optimised miner for the dev controlled botnets hardly constitutes a 'fair launch'.

Apart from a few tweeks on emmission, block frequency and later ring signatures what has achieved in over two years that could cause you to brag that it is the best cryptonote, let alone on a par with Bitcoin or Litecoin?

On the other hand, the biggest problem for Monero has been the behaviour of the devs, whales, bagholders and fanboys who's appalling behaviour has alienated just about any person in crypto.

Your arguments are weak and vapid.  

Bytecoin had an 80% shadowmine..  It's DOA.  
Boolberry has a perpetual devmine and has shown little work/updates in the past 12 months.  I say this despite liking its lead Dev, cryptozoidberg, who has been acting as a positive force for other CNs as well.
I've literally never heard of DigitalNote and I'm pretty well read on this subject.  I'd rather hold Neptunium.
Monero has the most active market of any of the CNs by far, consistently in the top 10 coins traded daily on Poloniex.

The technical features you downplay represent large technical advances over any other Cryptonote based blockchain.  If you know of another CN that has major and compelling features that Monero lacks, please let me know.  Otherwise it sounds like you are confirming what I said: Monero is the most advanced.  

Was the launch easy for n00bs?  No, but it was fair.  Everyone had access to the mining code and clever people were able to optimize it.  However even then they didn't get much of a bonus - Monero price collapsed the first 18 months of its existence down to 25 cents at one point - you could have sauntered in over a year after launch and bought tokens from the market for a small fraction of their price at launch.  I can confirm this because despite being a coding peasant I still was able to get the cheap tokens with no mining.

Finally, the only argument you can come up with against the best financial technology in the world is that you don't like how excited and rabid the fans get about it? Remember how insufferable the early Bitcoin hodl'ers were?  Criticize the tech - it has nothing to do with the people who are fans of it.  If your biggest criticism of a world changing technology is that the enthusiasts are too enthusiastic about it, you need to rethink your strategy.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
J1mb0

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 11:29:57 AM

Your arguments are weak and vapid.

Well, I cannot accuse you of having weak and vapid arguments!  Cheesy
is literally one of the most important inventions in the history of our species.

You missed cure for Cancer and World Peace.

Bytecoin had an 80% shadowmine.

A fair interpretation given the circumstances. But DOA? Has a high market cap, strong trading albeit magnitude less than Monero, Lots of development - have you downloaded the gui node or commerce node recently? More important, it was the code that your beloved Monero was forked from and is now more or less completely rewritten from the original.

The technical features you downplay represent large technical advances over any other Cryptonote based blockchain.

I wasn't trying to downplay them - I would just like to know what these advances are that make Monero, not just the best cryptonote but second only to BitCoin itself.

you don't like how excited and rabid the fans get about it?

Excited - Good!  Grin

Rabid - Bad!  Sad

And I wasn't just talking about fans - take a look at my trashed trust - the only negative trust I have recieved is from Monero devs and shills because I made similar points I am making here.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
█████
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 12:27:19 PM

You missed cure for Cancer and World Peace.

To the best of my knowledge, these two things aren't invented yet...

A fair interpretation given the circumstances. But DOA? Has a high market cap, strong trading albeit magnitude less than Monero, Lots of development - have you downloaded the gui node or commerce node recently? More important, it was the code that your beloved Monero was forked from and is now more or less completely rewritten from the original.

Bytecoin is a scam, has been demonstrated ad nauseam...

I wasn't trying to downplay them - I would just like to know what these advances are that make Monero, not just the best cryptonote but second only to BitCoin itself.

just for you:
moved from in-RAM database to a backend-agnostic blockchain database
created an LMDB blockchainDB implementation (with the help of Howard Chu, the creator of LMDB)
created a BerkeleyDB blockchainDB implementation
created an OS-agnostic raw blockchain format
built tools to convert between blockchain implementations, as well as import and export them
added ARM support
brought back 32-bit support (WIP)
added QoS (bandwidth control)
added OpenAlias support
fixed all (previously broken) unit tests and core tests
implemented daemonize for proper backgrounding of the Monero daemon
drastically increased sync speed
included block headers in the source
designed and implemented a stealth payment ID scheme
designed and implemented a unified address+payment ID scheme
implemented a hard fork mechanism
changed the block time to 2 minutes
implemented the MRL-0001 and MRL-0004 recommendations
added tons of simplewallet / rpcwallet / daemon commands
added a dust handler to simplewallet
created a multilanguage mechanism, implemented in simplewallet
bug fixes, bug fixes, bug fixes
completely overhauled the CMake (with the help of Kitware, the creators of CMake)
added a bad peer auto-banning mechanism
refactored a ton of code, added a ton of comments
added a core crypto implementation based on SUPERCOP ref10
switched to a triangular distribution for output selection
added multiple new mnemonic wordlists, including Russian and Italian
created a "trusted daemon" system for remote daemon use
Major performance and size improvements to the LMDB database implementation
Urgent and important bug fixes for the upcoming hard fork
Huge bug fixes to the database hard fork handling
New simplewallet flag to restore from keys
Initial work on a wallet library / API
Updated in-source block headers
Urgent bug fix for database corruption issues in 0.9.2
Official Windows 32-bit releases are back
Updates to miniupnpc
Sets v3 fork date for September, 2016
Fixes core tests and re-enables them
Fixes a problem with –password-file not working in RPC mode
--> the database-implementation effectively took RAM-usage from gigabytes to ~30 MB... most people call this 'progress'

And I wasn't just talking about fans - take a look at my trashed trust - the only negative trust I have recieved is from Monero devs and shills because I made similar points I am making here.

don't care, but still, you got nothing on the technology itself, maybe it's time to do some introspection on why you hate a cryptocurrency this much... you've been acting like a little bitch about monero since its inception, no idea why...
J1mb0

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 01:10:21 PM

Bytecoin is a scam, has been demonstrated ad nauseam...

That's right. Get it off your chest. You forgot vCash, Dash etc

just for you:
moved from in-RAM database to a backend-agnostic blockchain database
created an LMDB blockchainDB implementation (with the help of Howard Chu, the creator of LMDB)
created a BerkeleyDB blockchainDB implementation
snip.... boring housekeeping chores done by most devs
--> the database-implementation effectively took RAM-usage from gigabytes to ~30 MB... most people call this 'progress'

They may. But it's pretty routine stuff - l mentioned the Ring Sig stuff which was probably the most noteworthy.
I never said Monero wasn't solid or has no technical merit. It just doesn't seem to have had developments that are particularly exciting or even newsworthy. I would imagine the Bytecoin devs could give out a similar list or even a GUI  Cheesy.

don't care, but still, you got nothing on the technology itself, maybe it's time to do some introspection on why you hate a cryptocurrency this much... you've been acting like a little bitch about monero since its inception, no idea why...

No idea why? Instead of sounding like Jesse Pinkman I think you need to do some introspection.

I don't hate Monero. I just find some of it's advocates deeply unpleasant and disingenious. They are also proven abusers of the trust system and, during their spam campaign 2014-15, they showed that they had absolutely no regard or respect whatsoever for the other BCT members, here.

I don't hold any cryptonotes and am fairly agnostic on the relative merits of each. Despite the paranoid accusations and abuse from Monero devs and shills I have absolutely no connection, or relationship with, any crypto developers. If you want to know why I have distain for Monero, look at my Monero trust spam - I have been on this forum for years and the only people who have done this are Monero devs and shills.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
█████
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
obit33

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 01:23:32 PM

They may. But it's pretty routine stuff - l mentioned the Ring Sig stuff which was probably the most noteworthy.
I never said Monero wasn't solid or has no technical merit. It just doesn't seem to have had developments that are particularly exciting or even newsworthy. I would imagine the Bytecoin devs could give out a similar list or even a GUI  Cheesy.

Ok, maybe routine for you, but creating the first really fungible digital currency is pretty big in my opinion... If the Bytecoin-devs can give that list, they should, why not, competition is healthy... I'm all for currency-competition! So let them bring it on...

No idea why? Instead of sounding like Jesse Pinkman I think you need to do some introspection.

I don't hate Monero. I just find some of it's advocates deeply unpleasant and disingenious. They are also proven abusers of the trust system and, during their spam campaign 2014-15, they showed that they had absolutely no regard or respect whatsoever for the other BCT members, here.

I don't hold any cryptonotes and am fairly agnostic on the relative merits of each. Despite the paranoid accusations and abuse from Monero devs and shills I have absolutely no connection, or relationship with, any crypto developers. If you want to know why I have distain for Monero, look at my Monero trust spam - I have been on this forum for years and the only people who have done this are Monero devs and shills.

Here you go again about people surrounding monero...
Again, do some introspection: why are you here? Are you interested in technology, economics, whatever... or are you here to meet nice people?

best regards,
J1mb0

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 02:13:58 PM

Are you interested in technology, economics, whatever... or are you here to meet nice people?

best regards,

I'll take that as tacit recognition that there was a problem. And I'm not saying that people didn't rise to it because they did.

best regards to you too.  Grin

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
█████
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
obit33

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 02:17:15 PM

Are you interested in technology, economics, whatever... or are you here to meet nice people?

best regards,

I'll take that as tacit recognition that there was a problem. And I'm not saying that people didn't rise to it because they did.

best regards to you too.  Grin

without people no problems I guess... technology itself on the other hand is as rational as can be  Wink

best regards,
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: