Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:09:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Guild -- Glitch [UPDATE: The issue was resolved]  (Read 2792 times)
||bit (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 06:38:43 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2012, 05:12:10 AM by ||bit

It has been a long while since I logged into my mining account on BTC Guild (www.btcguild.com). I tried and appraently used the wrong password. Ooops, no problem right? Wrong. The site says the IP adderss I was at is restricted for x number of seconds. Well, despit enow using the correct password, x keeps increasing each time I try to log in. Despite even giving it a rest for hours. It's a bit insane. As long as this website has been around, you'd think they would have a streamlined login and password reset feature. It's time to find another pool. Any suggestions on pools that are well designed for the user?

LATE ENTRY UPDATE: The 'glitch' was a result of inactivity for an extended period of time. It doesn't appear to be a reason to move from BTC Guild. However, I will recommend that the webmaster change it to indicate an inactive account instead of an endless faulty password message.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:33:27 PM

Check out p2pool.  Either set one up yourself (easy) and point your miners to it, or join one of the existing pools that are p2pool. 

I'm on http://p2pmining.com/index.php.  No ids, no passwords.  I have my own p2pool as the backup in case I can't reach the pool.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18313.0

It has been a long while since I logged into my mining account on BTC Guild (www.btcguild.com). I tried and appraently used the wrong password. Ooops, no problem right? Wrong. The site says the IP adderss I was at is restricted for x number of seconds. Well, despit enow using the correct password, x keeps increasing each time I try to log in. Despite even giving it a rest for hours. It's a bit insane. As long as this website has been around, you'd think they would have a streamlined login and password reset feature. It's time to find another pool. Any suggestions on pools that are well designed for the user?

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 07:48:24 PM

Hmm, I think I would email the pool op or post a message the pools thread to find out what exactly the problem was?  But that's just me I guess.

If you change pools every time you have a problem with one you should be solo mining by now.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
||bit (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 08:18:00 PM

Hmm, I think I would email the pool op or post a message the pools thread to find out what exactly the problem was?  But that's just me I guess.

If you change pools every time you have a problem with one you should be solo mining by now.
Sam

I did email him/her already. But in the meantime, I think that to have this kind of issue after the pool has been online for so long makes no sense. I can't see anything as a user that I can do differently. I'm probably not the only person to forget a password there. Anyway, it was the only pool I was in to date, and I was thinking that if it is that easy to get perpetually locked out of an account, then taking a low risk move to a new pool might not be a bad idea.

Thank you for your thoughts on it.

||bit.out
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:05:14 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2012, 02:15:35 AM by eleuthria

The whole point of it denying you entry (with an increasing timer) is to prevent somebody guessing common passwords and eventually finding the right one for your account.  Allowing someone to bypass the lockout once they enter the correct password would completely defeat the point of the lockout.

If you've tried to send me an email, I have not received one describing anything remotely related to what you've stated in this thread.

EDIT:  If you're trying to login via TOR, it is entirely possible that somebody else using the same exit node was trying to get into someone's account.  The lockout is IP based.  You're allowed one failure in 24 hours with no penalty.  Then the penalty is 1 second.  Then 2, 4, 8, etc.  The lockout is exponential based on failed attempts from your IP in the past 6 hours.  The maximum lockout being 1 hour between attempts (3600 seconds).

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
||bit (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 05:05:42 AM

The whole point of it denying you entry (with an increasing timer) is to prevent somebody guessing common passwords and eventually finding the right one for your account.  Allowing someone to bypass the lockout once they enter the correct password would completely defeat the point of the lockout.

If you've tried to send me an email, I have not received one describing anything remotely related to what you've stated in this thread.

EDIT:  If you're trying to login via TOR, it is entirely possible that somebody else using the same exit node was trying to get into someone's account.  The lockout is IP based.  You're allowed one failure in 24 hours with no penalty.  Then the penalty is 1 second.  Then 2, 4, 8, etc.  The lockout is exponential based on failed attempts from your IP in the past 6 hours.  The maximum lockout being 1 hour between attempts (3600 seconds).

The email I sent went to "webmaster@btcguild.com". And I did get a response, just checked. My account apparently got "pruned" or deactivated due to my inactivity (I was out of the country for 9 months).

I understood the point of it increasing the timeouts. It makes sense from a security standpoint. But after I saw that the time keep going up, I waited more than an hour and it still didn't work. But it was made clear to me that the problem was my inactivity... and trying again (just now) a new message appears. I did not see this one erlier today. The message reads:
"Your account was pruned from the active users database due to inactivity. An automated restoration of your account is being run, please try logging in again in a few seconds."

Which concurred with the email from the webmaster. I tried again...and it let me log in. So, my problem was resolved. However, I do recommend the website be reprogrammed to warn people that login is failing due to a pruned inactive accounts.

Seeing what happened, I will not use this as an excuse to move to another pool. I'll stick with it for now. Smiley

Thanks for your thoughts and help.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 05:48:23 AM

EDIT:  If you're trying to login via TOR, it is entirely possible that somebody else using the same exit node was trying to get into someone's account.  The lockout is IP based.  You're allowed one failure in 24 hours with no penalty.  Then the penalty is 1 second.  Then 2, 4, 8, etc.  The lockout is exponential based on failed attempts from your IP in the past 6 hours.  The maximum lockout being 1 hour between attempts (3600 seconds).

The email I sent went to "webmaster@btcguild.com". And I did get a response, just checked. My account apparently got "pruned" or deactivated due to my inactivity (I was out of the country for 9 months).

I understood the point of it increasing the timeouts. It makes sense from a security standpoint. But after I saw that the time keep going up, I waited more than an hour and it still didn't work. But it was made clear to me that the problem was my inactivity... and trying again (just now) a new message appears. I did not see this one erlier today. The message reads:
"Your account was pruned from the active users database due to inactivity. An automated restoration of your account is being run, please try logging in again in a few seconds."

Which concurred with the email from the webmaster. I tried again...and it let me log in. So, my problem was resolved. However, I do recommend the website be reprogrammed to warn people that login is failing due to a pruned inactive accounts.

Seeing what happened, I will not use this as an excuse to move to another pool. I'll stick with it for now. Smiley

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Ah, that was you.  Your email was quite different from this post in terms of what the exact problem was.  There WAS a bug fix performed this afternoon related to pruned accounts that will attempt to automatically restore inactivate accounts when they attempt to login, so it looks like that kicked in and your account became reactivated.

Sorry for the inconvenience and the time to resolve it.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: