Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:59:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin made rich just a few but it ruined many  (Read 9581 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:11:38 PM

You don't lose until you sell.

Those who bought at $32 were saying the same thing until we crossed it, those who bought at $266 said the same thing until we crossed it, those who bought at $1200 said the same thing until....

"You don't lose until you sell" is wrong.  It's called unrealized loss.  And actually, this is bad for two reasons:  1) You can't realize a profit, and so your present purchasing power is lower, and 2) You can't even write off the loss on your taxes because it hasn't been realized yet.

Actually this idea of "you don't lose until you sell" was completely true since the birth of bitcoin until all the way to Nov 2013 which was the ATH. Will it still hold true now? Who knows. But if you believe there will be a new ATH in the future, then that statement is still true; it's better to be patient and gain money than to be scared and lose money.

The only problem is, the rise of bitcoin is never guaranteed

No, it still doesn't make it true even if BTC goes up in price.  If BTC goes up and he sells, he realizes profits.   Losing additional profits isn't a loss at all (unless you're a glass half-empty kind of person).

I'm guessing that you meant something more along the lines of "you don't profit until you sell" when the price of BTC goes up.  But, in this case too, you profit in terms of unrealized gains.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:18:37 PM

i can assure you, that if you're trading bitcoins for some papers from a bank you are the greatest fool and probably deserve whats coming.

An assurance from you, Robert Paulson, isn't worth the paper it's not written on Undecided

how about an assurance from the US government, they will tell you they are bankrupt if you just ask them
http://budget.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=387875

or how about an assurance from reality
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

anyone who trades bitcoin for fiat is a fool and probably deserves whats coming.

Robert Paulson, your daddy issues with US gov. are dull, repeated constantly by those more eloquent than yourself, & contribute nothing to the topic.

Just delete your posts and help us keep this thread tidy okthx.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:24:27 PM

i can assure you, that if you're trading bitcoins for some papers from a bank you are the greatest fool and probably deserve whats coming.

An assurance from you, Robert Paulson, isn't worth the paper it's not written on Undecided

how about an assurance from the US government, they will tell you they are bankrupt if you just ask them
http://budget.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=387875

or how about an assurance from reality
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

anyone who trades bitcoin for fiat is a fool and probably deserves whats coming.

Robert Paulson, your daddy issues with US gov. are dull, repeated constantly by those more eloquent than yourself, & contribute nothing to the topic.

Just delete your posts and help us keep this thread tidy okthx.

i disagree, i think its important for people to understand the current fiat system in an unsustainable scam.
there is no viable monetary system possible besides bitcoin, which is why sooner or later bitcoin will enrich a whole bunch of people.

anyone who trades bitcoin for bank papers today will look like a greater fool than the guy who traded 10,000 bitcoin for a pizza only four years ago.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:36:16 PM

...Would you advise that I not reduce my exposure to BTC?

I never told anyone to sell.  I simply told them not to buy your bag.

I used an analogy to illustrate that doing something stupid and profiting doesn't make it smart.  Bitcoin is clearly not a lottery ticket.

But let's go with your direct substitution, Bitcoin=scratch ticket.
I have not suggested anyone should sell their scratch tickets to greater fools.
Merely that they shouldn't be *BUYING* lottery tickets from those who are selling them.

TL;DR:  Don't be the greater fool.

Why does this need repeating?

P.S:  Though you may profit from selling your coin now, I do not advise you to do it.
You seem to be relatively well-off, and the ethics of unloading your bag on someone potentially less fortunate than yourself are questionable.

Do you want to help him with this bag ? It is really very light weight.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:37:48 PM

i disagree, i think its important for people to understand the current fiat system in an unsustainable scam.
there is no viable monetary system possible besides bitcoin, which is why sooner or later bitcoin will enrich a whole bunch of people.

anyone who trades bitcoin for bank papers today will look like a greater fool than the guy who traded 10,000 bitcoin for a pizza only four years ago.

I'm not sure if a dollar collapse is good for bitcoin.
Maybe if it takes another 5 years but certainly not now.

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:41:28 PM

@Odalv:  Nah, I actually practice what I preach.  Tough to believe on this forum, and I'm not expecting you to, but...  Take it for whatever you think it's worth Undecided
TeeBone

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:44:20 PM

Not in 5 yrs, not in 25. The idea that people are gonna flock to more ones and zeros on a screen in a mad max dollar collapse is quite absurd. That's a situation where tangible, hard assets will flourish.
Robert Paulson

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:48:05 PM

Not in 5 yrs, not in 25. The idea that people are gonna flock to more ones and zeros on a screen in a mad max dollar collapses is quite absurd. That's a situation where tangible, hard assets will flourish.

this isn't the 19th century, trade is global.
its not practical shipping gold to pay for goods and services anymore, which is why tangible hard assets will not flourish.
bitcoin is the only system that allows paying for goods and services almost instantly anywhere in the world and without trusting a third party.

it really is perfect money, nothing old even comes close.
TeeBone

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:49:34 PM

Not in 5 yrs, not in 25. The idea that people are gonna flock to more ones and zeros on a screen in a mad max dollar collapses is quite absurd. That's a situation where tangible, hard assets will flourish.

its not practical shipping gold to pay for goods and services anymore, which is why tangible hard assets will not flourish.
bitcoin is the only system that allows paying for goods and services almost instantly anywhere in the world and without trusting a third party.

Then you woke up from a dream...
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:50:50 PM

@Odalv:  Nah, I actually practice what I preach.  Tough to believe on this forum, and I'm not expecting you to, but...  Take it for whatever you think it's worth Undecided

the more preachers the better :-)
Robert Paulson

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:53:13 PM

Then you woke up from a dream...

you're right, that refutes everything i said.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:03:49 PM

It just depends what TPTB allow to be money.
*if* they pull the plug out of the internet, gold will be the medium of exchange.
If they allow the world to turn around another 100 years, it could be bitcoin that saves the day.
Chuckee

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:13:43 PM

What you don't understand is, nobody wants a currency that isn't backed by a government or other type of major institution. They want guarantees... as it is, if they lose their bitcoin due to computer security failures or hardware problems, then they're fucked. That's why there is very little interest in it now, more than 5 years after conception, and there will always be low interest.  A worldwide economic collapse on the level that you dream of will not happen within our lifetimes, and even if it did, the idea that everyone will have a device capable of storing and transmitting bitcoin securely, over a global and well maintained computer network, is laughable.
Room101

Activity: 541
Merit: 362

Rules not Rulers

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:24:30 PM

I dont get it? The OP has been around since 2010. If he bought $10 worth of BTC he would have made hundreds of thousands, crash or no crash. Price is up about a million percent since then?

Bitcoin is the greatest form of protest there is. Vote in the only way that really counts: with your money.
megadeth

Activity: 289
Merit: 252

bagholder since 2013

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:27:15 PM

I dont get it? The OP has been around since 2010. If he bought $10 worth of BTC he would have made hundreds of thousands, crash or no crash. Price is up about a million percent since then?

It's not easy to hold through that much gain.

bagholder since 2013
My sig space is not for sale.
Room101

Activity: 541
Merit: 362

Rules not Rulers

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:04:48 PM

It's not easy to hold through that much gain.

same goes for the miners he was talking about though....and he definitely shouldn't have lost money

Bitcoin is the greatest form of protest there is. Vote in the only way that really counts: with your money.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:18:04 PM

bigger fool == Bitcoin is a Ponzi bubble

There is nothing guaranteeing your fiat dollars, in fact they are almost guaranteed to depreciate due to incessant monetary inflation. All circulating money derives value from social psychology, i.e. is in a semi-permanent state of bubble. Choose your bubbles poison wisely.

spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:39:23 PM

BItcoin will have had its last ATH only if it has reached its full potential role in the global economy. Such a game changing technology at a market cap of only $5 billion? I don't believe it, we have a lot more to come. When? Only when idiot get rich quick speculators GTFO and let bitcoin do its thing in its own time.

bababooey

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:54:04 PM

I'm a newcomer to Bitcoin, but I got interested in it for online gambling purposes, not as an investment vehicle.

Is it possible that with more and more people getting into Bitcoin and more and more services accepting it, the price will continue to go down as people are now actually using them for things instead of hoarding them?

I mean, say Bitcoin goes back to dollar parity and pretty much the whole world is using it. It would still be considered a gigantic success.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:57:08 PM

I'm a newcomer to Bitcoin, but I got interested in it for online gambling purposes, not as an investment vehicle.

Is it possible that with more and more people getting into Bitcoin and more and more services accepting it, the price will continue to go down as people are now actually using them for things instead of hoarding them?

I mean, say Bitcoin goes back to dollar parity and pretty much the whole world is using it. It would still be considered a gigantic success.

A $21 million market cap isn't going to be of much use to the entire world. One fancy house purchase would swallow the global supply.  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: