Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:11:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning to Bitcoiners  (Read 1962 times)
Decksperiment (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:04:22 AM

Seems that the ISP's are now messing with the p2p network to the point that bitcoind is not syncing, or will take forever to do so. Torrents are no longer working, if they do, it's not worth it.. I believe they are slowing p2p down to the point that this WILL affect bitcoin users worldwide sooner than you think.. This is the lowest price I have seen bitcoin in a long time, and I believe it's due to this ISP messin with the speed at which you can download the blockchain..

Assetion Failed!

Program // bitcoin-qt.exe
File: main.cpp, line 1761

Expression: hashPrevBlock == view.GetBestBlock()

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont think so.. Sad

This error is happening every half hour or so..
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 10:43:17 PM

bam?
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 03:58:27 AM

Seems that the ISP's are now messing with the p2p network to the point that bitcoind is not syncing, or will take forever to do so. Torrents are no longer working, if they do, it's not worth it.. I believe they are slowing p2p down to the point that this WILL affect bitcoin users worldwide sooner than you think.. This is the lowest price I have seen bitcoin in a long time, and I believe it's due to this ISP messin with the speed at which you can download the blockchain..

Assetion Failed!

Program // bitcoin-qt.exe
File: main.cpp, line 1761

Expression: hashPrevBlock == view.GetBestBlock()

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont think so.. Sad

This error is happening every half hour or so..

ISP's messing with Bitcoin?

I know certain ISP's have throttled the speed of torrents and gnutella in the past due to the high amount of upload traffic from them, but I don't think any ISP has throttled Bitcoin traffic yet.

Currently a full node only needs to download a maximum of 144MB per day, thats not a lot and shouldn't concern ISP's.

That error you are getting doesn't indicate that your connection is being throttled. What version are you running?

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:46:29 PM

The last three versions all come up with the same error, only with a different number.. And whilst I also think that yeah, x amount or so of blockchain should'nt bother the isp's, they are defo blocking p2p here where I live, as in a test, I started a new release torrent and watched it plummet to 0 kbps within less than a minute. Ok, so tried again.. and again.. stopped the torrents now, since it's pointless here, it's got that bad.. and p2p traffic is p2p traffic. I dont think Isp's can differentiate between packets of torrents or blockchain?

Just after crimbo people will realise what I kinda been saying for a while.. all the Isp's need do is block p2p, period. Dont think they wont, assume they will.

Shoulda kept the kill bitcoin thread opened..

Isp's are like google..

And in my opinion, filtering the net is'nt killing it.. it's already dead.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 11:20:42 PM

Which ISP are you using?
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 11:36:04 PM

Which ISP are you using?

Lol, this is why I think it will become a major concern to bitcoin users.. Virgin Media..

Just did reformat over weekend, re-installed bitcoin, starts, then closes, firewall shows it starting, but dies, all within less than 10 seconds every time. I am at the point of just giving up, cause even slowing down p2p, will drastically affect download of the blockchain. Quite simply, unless the bitcoin devs are introducing the end of xp support (they should'nt, as the uk gov still pays ms for updates..) slowly, then the only explanation is that virgin branson..
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 11:46:47 PM

I've heard from friends that have Virgin Media that they are a nightmare, they're blocking torrent & streaming movie & live football sites etc. Nothing would surprise me with them.
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 11:56:33 PM

Which ISP are you using?

Lol, this is why I think it will become a major concern to bitcoin users.. Virgin Media..

Just did reformat over weekend, re-installed bitcoin, starts, then closes, firewall shows it starting, but dies, all within less than 10 seconds every time. I am at the point of just giving up, cause even slowing down p2p, will drastically affect download of the blockchain. Quite simply, unless the bitcoin devs are introducing the end of xp support (they should'nt, as the uk gov still pays ms for updates..) slowly, then the only explanation is that virgin branson..

It might be just your computer, or perhaps they are really fucking you over. In any case. Get yourself a VPN or/and start using TOR.

burp...
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:08:08 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but it sounds like Bitcoin Core is immediately shutting down for you?

Now, I'm no computer expert, but I don't think ISPs blocking traffic can cause programs to crash.

You are using Windows XP? Perhaps you should try another OS?

Have you tested your computer's hardware for stability?

I'd say I have a reasonably stable system, considering what I've added to the mobo, it's all running fine, it's just strange that since 0.9.1, I have never had a stable bitcoin app, that actually stayed 'running' like older versions did, kinda like start and forget, I was mining for 6 years constant up until 0.9.1, and since then, the problems are increasing, and the only time I've formatted in last 6 years was at the weekend, which I only did to start afresh, in order to check if my hard-disks were ok, they pass..

As for moving to a new OS, nah, I stopped upgrading when the icloud came along saving my work on others pc's, I thought, how will this affect my copywrite to my own work, if it's saved first on someone else's comp, as this means they own the intellectual right's due to them having the origional! So no more upgrading for me, I got 6tb of audio running fine on ye auld sp3, (shame about only being 3.odd gigs mem). Tbh, I found windows seven prevented the majority of audio apps I have from working in one way or another..

3rd attempt at starting, seems stable for now, but will it be running in the morning.. hmm..
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:12:46 AM

If its starting then its not an ISP problem, if it was blocked it wouldn't start.
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:18:33 AM

If its starting then its not an ISP problem, if it was blocked it wouldn't start.

Um, slow down Wink It took 4 starts in order to actually start, and it died everytime it connected to the net, not that I think it's being disconnected, or blocked, but what if the p2p protocol was restricted (using data caps? - I dont have data caps, but the method would work) to the point that the app could not download the blockchain, even though it could 'see' it? it's like, downloading a movie at 0.01bytes a second, would this not time out the app?
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:48:21 AM

I'm sorry buddy I don't know. Virgin Media can see the file size and possibly block or restrict transfer of that file.
nikkoy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 03:18:07 AM

i dont think That ISP's would do that. If you are mining maybe there are some errors but i guess it would be fixed in some time. Regarding the value of bitcoin , the world is currently upgrading to IPV6 connection and it can be the possible reason why your btc dont sync. By the way, the value of BTC is starting to reach at its peek again. Smiley
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:32:37 AM

i dont think That ISP's would do that. If you are mining maybe there are some errors but i guess it would be fixed in some time. Regarding the value of bitcoin , the world is currently upgrading to IPV6 connection and it can be the possible reason why your btc dont sync. By the way, the value of BTC is starting to reach at its peek again. Smiley

Hmm.. I aint been mining now for three months since my sync prob's began, I still think that Isp's can not only slow down p2p, they could charge for it...?

As for btc climbing, I've noticed when gold goes up in value, btc drops and vice versa..

hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:36:36 AM

Unless you've got serious hashpower its a complete waste of time solo mining anyway. You'd be better joining a pool for regular smaller payments, plus you wouldn't have this problem Wink
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:46:48 AM

Unless you've got serious hashpower its a complete waste of time solo mining anyway. You'd be better joining a pool for regular smaller payments, plus you wouldn't have this problem Wink

I prefer solo mining, cause ya get 50 btc with every score Wink
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:52:16 AM

Block reward is 25 at the moment and has been for a while, you could always try bitsolo.net or solopool.net. That way you haven't got the hastle of trying to keep the wallet in sync plus you get a nice payout if you find a block Wink
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:07:13 PM

Block reward is 25 at the moment and has been for a while, you could always try bitsolo.net or solopool.net. That way you haven't got the hastle of trying to keep the wallet in sync plus you get a nice payout if you find a block Wink

Shows how long it's been since my last score lol..
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:19:17 PM

Shows how long it's been since my last score lol..

Lol. Difficulty has gone through the roof since as well that's why solo mining is hugely unsuccessful unless you have serious hashing power. Some people still solo mine on a smaller scale for fun but the chances of hitting a block are very slim.
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:25:49 PM

As I see it, I leave my pc running 24/7, and it may as well be doing more than one thing when I go to sleep..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: