Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:47:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Physical in-store uses for Bitcoin  (Read 1259 times)
thephfactor (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 08:01:18 PM

OK, I'm looking for peoples ideas as to how bitcoin could be used in-store to buy things. I saw bitbills and although its some amount of progress it doesn't provide a good solution. I your suggestions please use technology available today and provide links so we can understand exactly how your idea works.

One of my ideas have been: An app on an iPhone that contains your Bitcoin wallet. When the cashier rings up the amount, the amount is communicated to the app and the app generates a QR code that, when scanned, completes the transaction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 08:05:45 PM

OK, I'm looking for peoples ideas as to how bitcoin could be used in-store to buy things. I saw bitbills and although its some amount of progress it doesn't provide a good solution. I your suggestions please use technology available today and provide links so we can understand exactly how your idea works.

One of my ideas have been: An app on an iPhone that contains your Bitcoin wallet. When the cashier rings up the amount, the amount is communicated to the app and the app generates a QR code that, when scanned, completes the transaction.

Go to mtgox.  Have them transfer you something called "Dollars".  Use those at the store.
ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 08:25:15 PM

I foresee that most people will not have bitcoin installed. Instead, they will have an account in a bitcoin-bank. Thus, it is very easy to have a debit card. It would works the same way it is working today: tell your bank that you spend some money in favor of vendor X. Vendor X receives OK and trust the bank to have sent the money.

For the most advanced scenario, I've written this (in french) in the following little story: http://ploum.net/post/futur-economie

The way it works is very simple:

- The vendor gives you a QR code which embed a bitcoin address.
- You scan the QR code with your phone and have to enter a pin code and confirm the amount
- The bitcoin address is sent to your bitcoind, which could be either your bank account, your remote computer or a local wallet on your phone, it doesn't matter.
- The vendor see a green "confirmed" as soon as the transaction have been confirmed enough (which depends on the price)

FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 09:59:03 PM

I foresee people buying things with Ripple and bitcoin simultaneously. Until there's enough confirmations on a given transaction, a debt gets applied to the buyers Ripple profile. When the transaction gets enough confirmations, Ripple debt gets paid back. I imagine a smart phone client would handle it all.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 10:05:44 PM

This topic has been covered extensively in past threads.  Search for the vending machine thread, Dash7, QR codes, Poker chip tokens, and the power failure thread.

EDIT:  And search for the Iphone and Android apps & widgets, they already exist in beta development.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: