Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:35:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Bitcoin Client  (Read 14251 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 11:04:02 PM

I need a portable bitcoin client, one that can reside entirely on a USB thumbdrive.  I would prefer to be able to run under both GNU/Linux or Windoze, but Windoze I need. 

Can the client reach out from within a network, even if the ports are blocked?  Is it possible to configure a client to reach out using a different port number and succeed?  I can use port 443 almost anywhere, but the high ports are blocked in most of the places that I can get Internet service in public.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 10:47:29 AM

You can already run entirely from the USB drive using the -datadir command line parameter.
I don't know if you can specify alternate ports yet, there has been discussion about implementing this, but you can proxy through an arbitrary port.
See: http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=man_page for more information.

Tilka

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 02:17:26 PM

You can specify the data directory using scripts (AFAIK you can't use a shortcut on Windows because it requires an absolute path to the .exe).

Shell script for Linux (make executable with "chmod a+x scriptname"):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
bitcoin -datadir=./data

Batch script for Windows (save as *.bat or *.cmd):
Code:
bitcoin -datadir=.\data

If you know how to do it, you can also apply gavinandresen's port/rpcport patch or wait for it to be included in the official client (may take a while).
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 17, 2010, 01:39:35 AM

I need a portable bitcoin client, one that can reside entirely on a USB thumbdrive.  I would prefer to be able to run under both GNU/Linux or Windoze, but Windoze I need. 

Can the client reach out from within a network, even if the ports are blocked?  Is it possible to configure a client to reach out using a different port number and succeed?  I can use port 443 almost anywhere, but the high ports are blocked in most of the places that I can get Internet service in public.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Consider the alternative of mybitcoin.com. It is a client portable to any web browser. You could keep the account/password in your head instead of on a stick. If you want to transact with another mybitcoin account the transaction is immediate too.
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 17, 2010, 03:38:16 AM

Consider the alternative of mybitcoin.com. It is a client portable to any web browser. You could keep the account/password in your head instead of on a stick. If you want to transact with another mybitcoin account the transaction is immediate too.

I already have a mybitcoin.com account, but I'd still like to have one running one my thumbdrive.  And now I do, thanks to the many suggestions that I have already received.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: