Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:34:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius coins - minor design flaw  (Read 1410 times)
Realpra (OP)

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 09:10:52 PM

So I recently received two 5 BTC coins and I plan to buy some 1 BTC coins and use them all for a board game as tokens.

But back on topic; after playing around with them I realized that the tamper-proof hologram on the back is very thin and has the first-bits printed directly on top of it.

While this is fine for souvenir BTC coins I believe this design would be worn beyond readability in 4 years or less if used as say a BTC local currency. In fact in this time my last credit card had lost any trace of originally printed account numbers and was also starting to loose basic back color.

Since both the 1 and 5 BTC casascius coins cost ~0.2btc each it would be hugely expensive to use them as real coins as they would have to be replaced very often.
A 10.000 people small town using these coins might have to spend 3000 BTC/year just to maintain their coins.

When I look at these coins I think to myself "this is what scifi/future money looks like" - I want this to work. So I am thinking; could a clear plastic membrane/cover/spray be applied to the back or the hologram stickers themselves include a protective layer over the address?

In this way the cover would be worn first and the coin potentially last more than 10 years.

I realize most BTC transaction are and will remain electronic and that anyone with a mobile phone can accept BTC; still these coins could make sense in rural areas for the next 20 years and as a statement that fiat cash is never necessary.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 09:13:39 PM

Firstbits printed on the surface is true of the series 1 5BTC coins, but not of the series 2.  Series 2 coins have a window in the hologram and the firstbits are behind the hologram.

I recently ran out of the series 1 coins and started shipping series 2.  There's plenty of interest in the series 1 coin now that it's no longer available and you'll have no problem finding someone to buy it off you if you'd prefer series 2.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 09:17:58 PM

You might be able to find a clear lacquer or enamel that could protect the firstbits.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Realpra (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 09:50:42 PM

You might be able to find a clear lacquer or enamel that could protect the firstbits.

Hmm yes, but according to Casascius I am now a coin collector holding priceless treasure, such crude measures might decrease the value of my coin Grin

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 09:56:50 PM

Hmm yes, but according to Casascius I am now a coin collector holding priceless treasure, such crude measures might decrease the value of my coin Grin

I wouldn't say priceless, but every time I discontinue a coin I will get orders with the notes saying "please send me the series 1 if you have any left".  I'll even swap it for a series 2 if you'd prefer it Wink

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 10:56:55 PM

How about using clear nail varnish ?

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Realpra (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 06:28:12 AM

I wouldn't say priceless, but every time I discontinue a coin I will get orders with the notes saying "please send me the series 1 if you have any left".  I'll even swap it for a series 2 if you'd prefer it Wink
I am not worried about the product value nor am I in any way disappointed with it Wink

When I was a kid though we would dissolve post stamp glue using warm water steam and gently lift them intact off the letter. Is this possible with your holograms or have you taken steps to prevent it?

(Warm water steam might not be the only way, heated alcohol or acetone steam might also work with even better glues.)

How about using clear nail varnish ?
I might, honestly I was just joking around - the ideas of JoelKats might work just fine too.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 03:41:13 PM

Immersing one in alcohol for days I was able to get the clear plastic layer off, but that would not have been sufficient to compromise the coin as the hologram itself stayed behind with the adhesive. If you would like to seriously experiment, I could make you some clearly marked bogus coins to test with, which contain no BTC. (Better this way - finding you trashed a private key with acetone or something would be no fun)

Realpra (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 09:07:42 PM

Immersing one in alcohol for days I was able to get the clear plastic layer off, but that would not have been sufficient to compromise the coin as the hologram itself stayed behind with the adhesive. If you would like to seriously experiment, I could make you some clearly marked bogus coins to test with, which contain no BTC. (Better this way - finding you trashed a private key with acetone or something would be no fun)
Maybe you could just send me cut hologram stickers and I could test on some metal plates of my own.

Maybe I will have time next time I buy some coins from you and I will let you know if I'm up to it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: