Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:32:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: United we stand, divided we fall - the coming rise of cryptofiat  (Read 16449 times)
DanielT

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:10:58 PM

I wonder if having a blockchain being digitally signed by a central authority (scrapping out the 51% requirement) would create something like "cryptofiat".
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
David Latapie (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 07:57:39 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2015, 11:34:28 PM by David Latapie

I wonder if having a blockchain being digitally signed by a central authority (scrapping out the 51% requirement) would create something like "cryptofiat".
I failt to see why they would do this, but this is secondary. If a governement cannot intervene on transactions, I think it would not qualfy as cryptofiat.

On a related note, I suggest reading The Stateless Currency and the State: An Examination of the Feasibility of a State Attack on Bitcoin. It is damn interesting.
Bitcoin, therefore, implicitly relies on the state’s approval for its functioning.

And also State-sponsored cryptocurrencies

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/2014/qb14q3digitalcurrenciesbitcoin1.pdf, page 3

As emphasised by Haldane and Qvigstad (2014), it would technically be possible for an existing central bank to issue digital-only liabilities in a distributed-ledger payment system equivalent to those deployed by recent digital currencies.

This is the Bank of England which writes this

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
David Latapie (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 02:48:13 AM

It's coming: China to consider a "chinacoin". The wayI see it, it would be a PoS.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Palinanv

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 11:22:44 AM

The have cryptofiat....? I thought crypto was just code and whatnot, and then Fiat would be physical money. I don't know.

In any case, cryptocurrencies are doing just fine on their own. No need to cause hype over a nonexistent topic.
fair_player

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 11:29:06 AM

With the current fiat system the government can not only monitor the flow of money but they do not necessarily need to tell a suspect of a crime the extent of the evidence against him (or what the government may be able to uncover in the future) which would give a suspect an incentive to confess if they have committed a financial crime. Bitcoin takes that possibility and this is really an important thing to be considered.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: