Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:04:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a Bitcoin Credit Union?
Yes - 21 (63.6%)
No - 11 (33.3%)
Other (post below) - 1 (3%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you be interested in a Bitcoin Credit Union?  (Read 3360 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 02:02:09 PM

If you never intend to touch fiat at all you don't need to apply to be a credit union. Credit unions don't deal with commodities. You can just set that up as a club or non profit for tax purposes. Maybe apply for a 501c. Are you planning on being for profit or nonprofit?

The credit union is necessary to get a routing number to be used for direct deposit.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 02:18:21 PM

If you never intend to touch fiat at all you don't need to apply to be a credit union. Credit unions don't deal with commodities. You can just set that up as a club or non profit for tax purposes. Maybe apply for a 501c. Are you planning on being for profit or nonprofit?

The credit union is necessary to get a routing number to be used for direct deposit.

So you are planning on accepting deposits in fiat? I guess I got confused by franky1s post. A bank or credit unions routing number or numbers are used to identify a financial institution usually for the ACH and wire transfer system. The hurdles you will jump through to be a bank will require lots of employees and attorneys. If you are crossing state lines you will need to comply with interstate banking and branching laws which will add more employees. If you're going to deal with international customers too you may need to hire everyone on this forum to help. That's the reason these startups go out and secure big money investors first.

Seriously, I'm not sure you could ever accomplish that without being more expensive than Circle or Coinbase.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 03:09:43 PM

So you are planning on accepting deposits in fiat? I guess I got confused by franky1s post. A bank or credit unions routing number or numbers are used to identify a financial institution usually for the ACH and wire transfer system. The hurdles you will jump through to be a bank will require lots of employees and attorneys. If you are crossing state lines you will need to comply with interstate banking and branching laws which will add more employees. If you're going to deal with international customers too you may need to hire everyone on this forum to help. That's the reason these startups go out and secure big money investors first.

Seriously, I'm not sure you could ever accomplish that without being more expensive than Circle or Coinbase.

The main focus would be on the ACH to access the Electronic Payments Network which allows a "depository institution" as defined in § 19(b) of the Federal Reserve Act, 12 U.S.C. § 461(b), this includes "insured credit unions".

“Federal credit union” means a cooperative association organized in accordance with the provisions of this chapter for the purpose of promoting thrift among its members and creating a source of credit for provident or productive purposes;

The term “insured credit union” means any credit union the member accounts of which are insured in accordance with the provisions of subchapter II of the Federal Credit Union Act.

For a credit union maintaining less than $50 million in deposits it is not too difficult to maintain insurance on users accounts. Especially since the Bitcoin credit union would never hold any fiat in accounts. It would immediately transfer any funds into bitcoins or to another bank account for deposit.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 03:23:25 PM

The main focus would be on the ACH to access the Electronic Payments Network which allows a "depository institution" as defined in § 19(b) of the Federal Reserve Act, 12 U.S.C. § 461(b), this includes "insured credit unions".

“Federal credit union” means a cooperative association organized in accordance with the provisions of this chapter for the purpose of promoting thrift among its members and creating a source of credit for provident or productive purposes;

The term “insured credit union” means any credit union the member accounts of which are insured in accordance with the provisions of subchapter II of the Federal Credit Union Act.

For a credit union maintaining less than $50 million in deposits it is not too difficult to maintain insurance on users accounts. Especially since the Bitcoin credit union would never hold any fiat in accounts. It would immediately transfer any funds into bitcoins or to another bank account for deposit.

Maybe that's your loophole. Since your not going to hold fiat for any great length of time. Credit unions still need to comply with banking laws and AML/KYC. You really need to get the advice of an attorney that specializes in banking law before going any further. That will save you money, headaches and jail time in the future.

One question though, why would you even consider opening a business like this in the fascist USA? You're not in the US, you don't need to bank here, the laws are meant to support the status quo, cripple new entry and innovation, the whole government is corrupt and the people are blind to it. Is Germany a worse place to have a financial institution?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4414

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 04:00:29 PM

you dont need to hire an expensive financial attorney in the early "idea" phase. just ask to have a meeting with a credit union organiser (its free) and they have gone through all the red tape and know what is needed and what is not. then once you know exactly how to best obtain a direct deposit number for individuals to use for their employers. then you can go into phase 2 of attorneys and paperwork.

i still think the fastest way to achieve individual account numbers is the prepaid visa card route or partner with an existant credit union

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BTCfan668

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:06:08 PM

You would need insurance on the amount you have in customers' accounts until you use the money to buy the bitcoin.

You also need to understand that a direct deposit is little different then accepting a check (the fraud risk is reduced however) as direct deposits can be reversed for a number of reasons. A direct deposit can be charged back and can be "nsf". These are pretty rare, and really only happen with smaller businesses but even then they don't happen very often because most businesses make paying their employees a top priority.

The biggest risk is getting a direct deposit that is initiated by the customer. A few banks allow this, ING direct (which is now owned by capital one) was one of the first banks that started this, but others have jumped on the bankwaggon. I understand that there is no balance requirement for a direct deposit to be sent, but it will be reversed by the issuing bank in the event of NSF in the sending account.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 01:54:50 AM

I think we have Coinbase for that. But don't be fed up. This is the sort of initial thinking that might lead to the biggest community in the world. So keep on expressing your thoughts. Smiley

Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:29:10 AM

You would need insurance on the amount you have in customers' accounts until you use the money to buy the bitcoin.

You also need to understand that a direct deposit is little different then accepting a check (the fraud risk is reduced however) as direct deposits can be reversed for a number of reasons. A direct deposit can be charged back and can be "nsf". These are pretty rare, and really only happen with smaller businesses but even then they don't happen very often because most businesses make paying their employees a top priority.

The biggest risk is getting a direct deposit that is initiated by the customer. A few banks allow this, ING direct (which is now owned by capital one) was one of the first banks that started this, but others have jumped on the bankwaggon. I understand that there is no balance requirement for a direct deposit to be sent, but it will be reversed by the issuing bank in the event of NSF in the sending account.
Another risk is that the employer overpays the employee. This is somewhat common and the employer can simply reverse the amount of the overpayment from the employee's account; this is something the employee agrees to when they sign up for direct deposit.

This sounds a lot like coinbase but with extra regulatory costs and risks. I would suggest creating a service similar to coinbase with similar risk controls and your service will take off.

If someone wanted to use their entire paycheck (or any other amount) to buy bitcoin they could simply setup an automatic purchase with coinbase
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 06:57:01 AM

Without people being paid in Bitcoin we will forever be in the mindset of "buying bitcoins". At some point we will need to transition from buying bitcoins to buying fiat for the few things Bitcoin does not provide.

I am not, and would not think of, doing this alone as a business. I am in IT, just to apply yuo need someone with CPA or banking experience as the director and the members elect a board. I can help facilitate but cannot do it on my own, there would need to be community support of 500 to 3000 people showing an interest.

tanaka

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:52:15 PM

Anything that would make bitcoin progress, I will support!

Why should you support something like this? It will surely create chaos anytime soon. Smiley

Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 01:58:59 PM

I personally love the idea however from a regulation standpoint I can see it being VERY difficult to pick up off the ground.

crazy-pilot

Activity: 861
Merit: 253

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 05:50:59 PM

Without people being paid in Bitcoin we will forever be in the mindset of "buying bitcoins". At some point we will need to transition from buying bitcoins to buying fiat for the few things Bitcoin does not provide.

I am not, and would not think of, doing this alone as a business. I am in IT, just to apply yuo need someone with CPA or banking experience as the director and the members elect a board. I can help facilitate but cannot do it on my own, there would need to be community support of 500 to 3000 people showing an interest.

I don't think this will ever happen, especially in developed countries. In theory people could use bitcoin as their main currency in third world countries that have very unstable economies.

I think the costs are simply too high in order for a bitcoin CU to be a viable option. (and there are too many cheaper alternatives)

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
funtotry

Activity: 420

Ever wanted to run your own casino? PM me for info

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:24:28 AM

Another risk is that the employer overpays the employee. This is somewhat common and the employer can simply reverse the amount of the overpayment from the employee's account; this is something the employee agrees to when they sign up for direct deposit.

This sounds a lot like coinbase but with extra regulatory costs and risks. I would suggest creating a service similar to coinbase with similar risk controls and your service will take off.

If someone wanted to use their entire paycheck (or any other amount) to buy bitcoin they could simply setup an automatic purchase with coinbase
Exactly. If you were to setup some kind of service that automatically buys bitcoin when a person gets their paycheck then you would need to buy the corresponding bitcoin on an exchange somehow. You would need to pay exchange fees and would encounter slippage (just like coinbase does). A much better solution would be to compete with coinbase.

One disadvantage you would have over coinbase is that no one would be selling their bitcoin to you (which would allow you to save on slippage and exchange fees) so from the start you will have higher costs for providing the same service.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:29:55 AM

I'd very strongly suggest trying to get in touch with an exec from BancVue if serious. They can help you out a ton with start-up, logistics, and shared branching. Trying to get a sit-down around the time of a trade show would probably be your best bet. https://www.bancvue.com/about/upcoming-events.html
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: