Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:08:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus detected in the blockchain  (Read 3521 times)
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 06:48:21 PM

I'm not sure what the right forum for this is, here, or in the Technical forum, but I figure it'll get read more here, so I'm posting here...

My computer (Windows 7 64 bit) was acting strange so I just ran a full virus scan.  It detected two viruses and one of them just happened to be in the blockchain.  It was detected in Bitcoin\Blocks\blk00129.dat.  Those of you running full nodes, especially on Windows, this would be a good time to run a virus scanner.  Avast caught this, I can't comment on any others.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:09:23 PM

I'm not sure what the right forum for this is, here, or in the Technical forum, but I figure it'll get read more here, so I'm posting here...

My computer (Windows 7 64 bit) was acting strange so I just ran a full virus scan.  It detected two viruses and one of them just happened to be in the blockchain.  It was detected in Bitcoin\Blocks\blk00129.dat.  Those of you running full nodes, especially on Windows, this would be a good time to run a virus scanner.  Avast caught this, I can't comment on any others.

i think thats a false flag.

some crap virus scanners dont detect actual viruses, they just have lists of filenames, and it happens to be that a certain old virus from the 1990's had a filename called blk00129.dat.

i kinda remember someone posting about this last year

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:13:50 PM

Also, the blockchain is not meant to be used as an executable, so even if a virus binary is stored there, it doesn't matter.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:14:49 PM

Avast caught this

Roll Eyes
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:15:23 PM

as long as you got bitcoin-core from bitcoin.org and you havnt been downloading crappy altcoin wallets or seeing them crappy "bitcoin generator" trojans on youtube, youshoud be safe.

but to be 100% sure, use the online free scans of mcafee or norton, etc to get a second opinion on the chance of you getting a virus

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:17:40 PM

Avast caught this, I can't comment on any others.

It avast bro, chill. I used to get a lot of false alarms from avast. Some parts of the files can seem fishy however.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:29:51 PM

There are virus signatures (eg 'stoned') which may be 10-15 bytes long in the blockchain. Those signatures are either purposely placed there in a transaction or random coincidences. Most probably done on purpose.  They don't mean the virus is there, just a pattern is.  There have been numerous discussions of this.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:55:46 PM

This is the last straw, I am selling every last Satoshi of BTC, right now.   Roll Eyes

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:00:49 PM

My computer (Windows 7 64 bit) was acting strange so I just ran a full virus scan.  It detected two viruses and one of them just happened to be in the blockchain.  It was detected in Bitcoin\Blocks\blk00129.dat.  Those of you running full nodes, especially on Windows, this would be a good time to run a virus scanner.  Avast caught this, I can't comment on any others.

some crap virus scanners dont detect actual viruses, they just have lists of filenames, and it happens to be that a certain old virus from the 1990's had a filename called blk00129.dat.

That's a very crappy way of detecting malicious software. If you'd just rename the virus it would evade that virus scanner altogether. What a joke.

Virus scanners that scan your hard drive for viruses are pretty bad in the first place. You should have a virus scanner that blocks the download before you download it, that's way more efficient than trying to repair the damage after it is already done.

I can't believe you are running a full node and possibly a wallet on a computer without a proper virus scanner.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:27:28 PM

Its not the filename. There actually is part of an old MS-DOS virus in the blockchain.
Fortunately its harmless.
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:52:14 PM

That's a very crappy way of detecting malicious software. If you'd just rename the virus it would evade that virus scanner altogether. What a joke.

Virus scanners that scan your hard drive for viruses are pretty bad in the first place. You should have a virus scanner that blocks the download before you download it, that's way more efficient than trying to repair the damage after it is already done.

I can't believe you are running a full node and possibly a wallet on a computer without a proper virus scanner.

Oh, I'm not running a wallet on this computer, I don't have a proper offline setup yet, but that's the only place I'll be putting bitcoins.  I just don't feel like paying for an anti-virus program that might not be any better than this one.  It's not the greatest security, I acknowledge, but I'm not putting my bitcoins at risk on this computer.

Anyway, I don't think Avast is that bad a virus scanner really, but it's probably not perfect either.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
a447513372

Activity: 336

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:37:46 PM

Its not the filename. There actually is part of an old MS-DOS virus in the blockchain.
Fortunately its harmless.
Like it was mentioned above, you don't actually "execute" the blockchain on your computer so any virus found on the blockchain will not actually be able to do anything to your computer.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███
▀▀▀▀           █████████       ▄█ ███▀
 ██████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███
  ██████████████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄  ▀▄▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▀
     ▀████▄ ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████▀
       ▀▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀▀

████                ▄████
    ████████████████                ████   ▄▄███████████████          ▄█████▀
   ██████████████████               ██▀▀ ██████████████████        ▄█████▀
             ▀████████             ███ ████▀                    ▄█████▀
             ▄█████████            ██▀ ███▀                  ▄█████▀
             ████ ▀████           ███ ████▄               ▄█████▀
             ████  ████           ███▄ ██████████████▀ ▄█████▀
            ████  ▄████           ████  ▀████████████▄ ▀█████▄
            ████ ▄████           ████               ▀██▄  █████▄
            ████████▀            ████               ▄████   █████▄
           ███████▀            ███▀              ▄█████▀     █████▄
 ██████████████████████████████ ███ ▄█████████████████▀         █████▄
█████████████▀▀▀██████████████ ▄██ ▄████████████████▀             █████▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
HELP.org

Activity: 510

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 11:47:31 PM

It is just a piece of the virus that triggers the signature detection algorithm so it can't do anything.  I ran ClamWin a couple weeks ago and it found about 5 or 6 signatures in the blockchain files in addition to the "stoned" one that gets detected by many scanners.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:52:21 PM

It is just a piece of the virus that triggers the signature detection algorithm so it can't do anything.  I ran ClamWin a couple weeks ago and it found about 5 or 6 signatures in the blockchain files in addition to the "stoned" one that gets detected by many scanners.

That thing is like a time capsule of lulz Cheesy

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Window2Wall

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:11:55 AM

My computer (Windows 7 64 bit) was acting strange so I just ran a full virus scan.  It detected two viruses and one of them just happened to be in the blockchain.  It was detected in Bitcoin\Blocks\blk00129.dat.  Those of you running full nodes, especially on Windows, this would be a good time to run a virus scanner.  Avast caught this, I can't comment on any others.

I don't think it is always possible to prevent a virus from being downloaded in the first place as the file could potentially be part of another file or the user could be tricked into overriding the virus scanner because they think the file is actually legit when it is not, or the virus could be introduced via some other means then being downloaded, or the virus is a 0 day attack and the virus scanner does not realize that it is a virus until after it receives an update.

That thing is like a time capsule of lulz Cheesy
There are a lot of....interesting....things on the blockchain from Bitcoin's earlier days
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:48:30 AM

Then your virus scanner setting must be wrong, don't scan all files, just executable files.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
btcrich

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:00:32 AM

Then your virus scanner setting must be wrong, don't scan all files, just executable files.

Not a great idea either if you're relying on a virus scanner to keep you safe.  Malicious scripts can be run by opening non-executable files as well such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PDF's, etc.  Virus scanners will sometimes catch these so should not be omitted from scans.

Virus scanners are pretty bad anyways.  Making a virus undetectable to any scanner is trivial.  I don't even bother installing a virus scanner at all, but rather I monitor my system's services, processes, network connections, etc.  If I feel that there is even a remote chance that an application or file is infected, it never leaves its own VM.
foxkyu

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:48:14 AM

that title lie to me
i think what you mean blockchain is  bitcoin blockchain
from what i read the problem is in your PC
just try to clean in with other antivirus or anti malware, or change your OS to linux
mailmansDOGE

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:50:17 AM

probably someone stuck the files into the blockchain. Nothing to worry about.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 05:32:04 AM

I haven't used avast for last 5 years due to this kind of crap...it doesn't have the juice to catch a blockchain mole.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: