Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:41:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Internet Trolls really are.  (Read 974 times)
Spendulus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 07:21:07 PM

Interesting study.  What kind of people are internet trolls, actually?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/10/02/and-climate-internet-trols-are-some-of-the-worst/

In this month’s issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published that confirms what we all suspected: internet trolls are horrible people.Let’s start by getting our definitions straight. An internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:15:15 PM

What kind of people are internet trolls, actually?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9FAOPBiDk
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2014, 09:33:42 PM by Lethn

The problem is as usual the people who don't use the internet just don't get it, trolls aren't these psychopaths and lunatics that internet stalk people and harass them, trolling is where you stir up shit sometimes justifiably and rile people up who are easily annoyed to begin with. It really is a fucking joke seeing people who barely use the internet on mainstream television comment on 'trolling', I for instance troll religious people on this board because I know they're going to get pissed off and I tend to only do it when they're being particularly homophobic or preachy which has been quite a bit lately but I would never go around internet stalking them or harassing them.

Too bad the people who write these articles will just ban, delete or ignore anyone that claims otherwise or doesn't go along with their stereotype of internet users, it's like going onto the flat earth society and posting and posting lots of photos of a spherical Earth, it pisses off people who are easily riled to begin with, no more.

For the record I do agree with the kind of data out there that shows that the people who start harassing and attacking particular people really are psychopaths because that's what psychopaths do, these people don't have anyone to pick on at school because they're all alone now so they go hunting on the internet instead. I get the feeling this is just another attempt at trying to curb internet freedom and stop people from posting whatever they like and is a precursor to something far more insidious than simply protecting someone's hurt feelings. By the way I can completely understand if somebody is having trouble with an internet stalker, never use software or websites that don't allow you to block certain users by I.P address, encrypt your messages and for fucks sake don't give out personal information unless you have the balls to live with the consequences.

Edit: Onion News Network would actually be what I define as internet trolls because they post completely fake news stories as if they're facts and stupid people completely fall for it.
Spendulus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:21:17 PM

....I get the feeling this is just another attempt at trying to curb internet freedom and stop people from posting whatever they like and is a precursor to something far more insidious than simply protecting someone's hurt feelings. By the way I can completely understand if somebody is having trouble with an internet stalker, never use software or websites that don't allow you to block certain users by I.P address, encrypt your messages and for fucks sake don't give out personal information unless you have the balls to live with the consequences.....

+1
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:05:16 AM

What kind of people are internet trolls, actually?

Justine

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:16:27 AM

Just a symptom of people having too much time at their hand.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 09:35:15 AM
Last edit: October 04, 2014, 10:42:54 AM by Lethn

Yeah that's the kind of butthurt posts people who have been trolled make Knight22 Tongue still pissed I made your religion look so bad? Cheesy

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 11:23:04 AM

By the way, found a brilliant article written by somebody on the subject, also points towards lots of media stupidity.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/what-trolling-means-definition-UK-newspapers
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:02:16 PM

Yeah that's the kind of butthurt posts people who have been trolled make Knight22 Tongue still pissed I made your religion look so bad? Cheesy

My religion? Which one  Huh

a447513372

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 06:18:54 PM

Too bad the people who write these articles will just ban, delete or ignore anyone that claims otherwise or doesn't go along with their stereotype of internet users, it's like going onto the flat earth society and posting and posting lots of photos of a spherical Earth, it pisses off people who are easily riled to begin with, no more.
The OP has a much more concise definition of what a troll is, which I would agree with. Many/most people will define a troll as someone who gives an extreme view that they do not agree with, and therefore it is claimed that trolling happens much more often then it really does.
Edit: Onion News Network would actually be what I define as internet trolls because they post completely fake news stories as if they're facts and stupid people completely fall for it.
IMO the Onion is satire and meant to make people laugh and not meant to be believed.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███