Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:28:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Preventing Asic mining [fork] after next halving would solve a lot of problems.  (Read 3465 times)
yumei (OP)

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:37:33 PM

Preventing Asic mining after next halving would solve a lot of problems.

Actually we are in a phase of centralising the bitcoin network, from individuals to companies belonging big asic farms.

Satoshi for sure never planned asic mining. 99% of the bitcoin community would benefit when asic mining is prohibited.

Without asic mining we would never have such a bump and dump scenario we have actually. Big asic farm holder selling their bitcoins to be able to pay the electrician and to cut out competition due low efficiency of mining.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:11:06 PM

No, it wouldn't.

Actually we are in a phase of centralising the bitcoin network, from individuals to companies belonging big asic farms.

I don't think I'd call that "centralizing".  Perhaps you mean to say "consolidating"?

Satoshi for sure never planned asic mining.

He certainly planned for consolidation of full nodes, and for the vast majority of users to run SPV clients.

99% of the bitcoin community would benefit when asic mining is prohibited.

I'm not sure how you think you are going to "prohibit" the creation and use of Application Specific Integrated Circuits, but I suspect that any method you think should be used either wouldn't work or would simply result in a less secure network.

Without asic mining we would never have such a bump and dump scenario we have actually.

I don't think you know what the phrase pump and dump means.  Perhaps you should take some time and do a little bit of learning before you try to make accusations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump

Big asic farm holder selling their bitcoins to be able to pay the electrician and to cut out competition due low efficiency of mining.

Yes, that is how capitalism and incentive works.  So long as there is a profit to be earned, there is an incentive to increase the amount of mining.  Mining will consolidate with those that have access to the cheapest resources since they can maintain a profit while all others are pushed out of the market.
yumei (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:39:07 PM

Quote from: yumei on Today at 02:37:33 PM

I don't think I'd call that "centralizing".  Perhaps you mean to say "consolidating"?

Actually there are less miners then we had 1 year before. I don´t have exact stats but I am guessing that 4-5 big asic farming companys control the market while one year ago it was spread into 1000 of miners. This is centralization for me.

He certainly planned for consolidation of full nodes, and for the vast majority of users to run SPV clients.

So when 4-5 big mining farms control the full hashing power this is for you consolidation. Consolidation means to do something solid or firm; solidify; strengthen: , this is the wikipedia translation of this word.

I'm not sure how you think you are going to "prohibit" the creation and use of Application Specific Integrated Circuits, but I suspect that any method you think should be used either wouldn't work or would simply result in a less secure network.

You could enable only script mining like litecoins, I am not affine with the developing structure behing that, but there are altcoins where you can´t asic mine.

Without asic mining we would never have such a bump and dump scenario we have actually.

I don't think you know what the phrase pump and dump means.  Perhaps you should take some time and do a little bit of learning before you try to make accusations:

This kind of dumping we have right now would never happend without asic mining, because without asic mining there were 1000 of miners sharing their mining earnings. Actually there are only some big farms who mine the mayor part of bitcoins and control the market. They can move the markets dramaticly.

Big asic farm holder selling their bitcoins to be able to pay the electrician and to cut out competition due low efficiency of mining.

Yes, that is how capitalism and incentive works.  So long as there is a profit to be earned, there is an incentive to increase the amount of mining.  Mining will consolidate with those that have access to the cheapest resources since they can maintain a profit while all others are pushed out of the market.

This is not capitalism, this is monopolism. You have some companys create new asic hardware, this companys mine thereself or sell their main parts to just 4-5 big companys.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:59:48 PM

Actually there are less miners then we had 1 year before. I don´t have exact stats but I am guessing that 4-5 big asic farming companys control the market while one year ago it was spread into 1000 of miners. This is centralization for me.

Then perhaps you need to purchase a dictionary.

So when 4-5 big mining farms control the full hashing power this is for you consolidation. Consolidation means to do something solid or firm; solidify; strengthen: , this is the wikipedia translation of this word.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/consolidate

1. (transitive, intransitive) To combine into a single unit; to group together or join.
    2. To make stronger or more solid.

There are two definitions listed here.  You are looking at the wrong one.  I am using the word "consolidate" for it's first meaning: "To combine into a single unit; to group together or join."

You could enable only script mining like litecoins, I am not affine with the developing structure behing that, but there are altcoins where you can´t asic mine.

You are mistaken.  There are scrypt mining ASICs for litecoins.  The main reason that other altcoins don't yet have ASIC is that there isn't enough value in those scamcoins and crapcoins to make it worth the effort for someone to design an ASIC chip for them.

I don't think you know what the phrase pump and dump means.  Perhaps you should take some time and do a little bit of learning before you try to make accusations:

This kind of dumping we have right now would never happend without asic mining, because without asic mining there were 1000 of miners sharing their mining earnings. Actually there are only some big farms who mine the mayor part of bitcoins and control the market. They can move the markets dramaticly.

Dumping occurs when those holding bitcoins feel that they can get more value for their bitcoins by exchanging them now than they can by exchanging or using them later.  If there were 1000's more miners than there are, then you could have 1000's of people exchanging their bitcoins.

Yes, that is how capitalism and incentive works.  So long as there is a profit to be earned, there is an incentive to increase the amount of mining.  Mining will consolidate with those that have access to the cheapest resources since they can maintain a profit while all others are pushed out of the market.

This is not capitalism, this is monopolism. You have some companys create new asic hardware, this companys mine thereself or sell their main parts to just 4-5 big companys.

Again I think you need a dictionary.  I don't think you know what the word monopoly means.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 04:03:42 PM

I don't think I'd call that "centralizing".  Perhaps you mean to say "consolidating"?

My guess is that you confuse pools with miners and mining farms. Just because there are "only" 4-5 big pools, does not mean that all their hashing power belongs to them.

-snip-

An ASIC is just a special purpise chip that does what a general purpose chip (CPU, GPU) does, but with higher energy efficiency and usually faster. There is no real way to prevent special hardware. There are litecoin (or better scrypt) ASICs. IMHO if a coin has no ASIC or GPU support yet its not because its not possible, but because its to expensive because the value per coin is not high enough.

-snip-

What makes you think that its miners that sell coins atm? Why not those two brothers?

-snip-

Again, assumptions, gueswork. Do you have at least signs that your claims are true?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:15:29 PM

There are only 2 companies producing high-end GPUs (AMD, Nvidia) and only 2 companies producing high-end CPUs (Intel, AMD) in large volume. In theory, if cryptocurrency gains worldwide adoption, the potential for mining to become dominated by a single manufacturer is far larger with CPU or GPU mining than it is with ASIC mining.

The reason AMD didn't corner the mining market back when GPU mining was all the rage is that it simply wasn't worth the effort back then. Who knows what the future would've brought in an ASIC-less world?
yumei (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:46:04 PM

Quote from: yumei on Today at 03:39:07 PM

Then perhaps you need to purchase a dictionary.

What is so hard to understand that actually a small rate of asic holders are mining all amount of bitcoins, 2 years ago it were tausends of miners mining the amount of bitcoins. And 1000 of miners are unlikely selling all their bitcoins at once like its happening now.

1. (transitive, intransitive) To combine into a single unit; to group together or join.

There are two definitions listed here.  You are looking at the wrong one.  I am using the word "consolidate" for it's first meaning: "To combine into a single unit; to group together or join."

Bitcoins are not designed for being mined from a small group of investors having the money and the power producing and generating the mayor part of bitcoins.

You are mistaken.  There are scrypt mining ASICs for litecoins.  The main reason that other altcoins don't yet have ASIC is that there isn't enough value in those scamcoins and crapcoins to make it worth the effort for someone to design an ASIC chip for them.

Well like I said i am not technic affine, but honestly I think I understand more about economics then you. If this is true then POW in this initial form is the problem.

Yes, that is how capitalism and incentive works.  So long as there is a profit to be earned, there is an incentive to increase the amount of mining.  Mining will consolidate with those that have access to the cheapest resources since they can maintain a profit while all others are pushed out of the market.

Again I think you need a dictionary.  I don't think you know what the word monopoly means.

mo·nop·o·lize  (m-np-lz)
tr.v. mo·nop·o·lized, mo·nop·o·liz·ing, mo·nop·o·liz·es
1. To acquire or maintain a monopoly of.
2. To dominate by excluding others: monopolized the conversation.

Why you are insulting me, you seems like having no clue about economics but acting like you know.
yumei (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:48:43 PM

There are only 2 companies producing high-end GPUs (AMD, Nvidia) and only 2 companies producing high-end CPUs (Intel, AMD) in large volume. In theory, if cryptocurrency gains worldwide adoption, the potential for mining to become dominated by a single manufacturer is far larger with CPU or GPU mining than it is with ASIC mining.

The reason AMD didn't corner the mining market back when GPU mining was all the rage is that it simply wasn't worth the effort back then. Who knows what the future would've brought in an ASIC-less world?

Well AMDn NVIDIA Intel are not producing for cryptocoins only, better said they don´t even plan with buyers from this markets.
But asic manufactorer just produce for mining bitcoins. They will produce and mine theirself or sell to their best partners (selling more, buying high amounts, long term), this is how economic works.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:12:35 PM

There are two definitions listed here.  You are looking at the wrong one.  I am using the word "consolidate" for it's first meaning: "To combine into a single unit; to group together or join."

Bitcoins are not designed for being mined from a small group of investors having the money and the power producing and generating the mayor part of bitcoins.

Actually, that is exactly how bitcoin was designed.  Satoshi said so himself.

You are mistaken.  There are scrypt mining ASICs for litecoins.  The main reason that other altcoins don't yet have ASIC is that there isn't enough value in those scamcoins and crapcoins to make it worth the effort for someone to design an ASIC chip for them.

Well like I said i am not technic affine,

Clearly.

but honestly I think I understand more about economics then you.

It's possible, but given your ability to understand anything you've commented on so far, I doubt it.

If this is true then POW in this initial form is the problem.

POW is currently the best known solution to the byzantine generals problem.  If you have a better solution, let me know.

Again I think you need a dictionary.  I don't think you know what the word monopoly means.

mo·nop·o·lize  (m-np-lz)
tr.v. mo·nop·o·lized, mo·nop·o·liz·ing, mo·nop·o·liz·es
1. To acquire or maintain a monopoly of.
2. To dominate by excluding others: monopolized the conversation.

Sorry. I thought you used the word "monopolism" (which is a noun meaning the existence or prevalence of monopolies), not "monopolize" (which is a verb that can either describe the act of maintaining a monopoly OR can describe the act of excluding others).

A monolopy is the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade.

Regardless, in general use (at least in the English language here in the U.S.), a monopoly is when a SINGLE entity is in control of an overwhelming majority of something.  If you have two or more entities, that is not a monopoly.  That is healthy competition between multiple entities, and is how capitalism generally operates.  Even within capitalism, monopolies can occur. Without regulation, as long as the monopoly supplies a desired product or service at an acceptable price, the monopoly can continue to exist indefinitely.  If the monopoly attempts to use their control of the market to provide reduced value at an increased price, then they open themselves up to competition from others.  If you don't like the idea of free market forces controlling the system and you prefer some sort of regulation to prevent consolidation of mining, then you aren't going to like Bitcoin very much.

Why you are insulting me, you seems like having no clue about economics but acting like you know.

I'm doing the best to answer your questions, correct your mistakes, and point out that your trolling FUD is rather ridiculous.  The crap you are spewing here has been stated and debunked hundreds of times on this forum.  
andytoshi

Activity: 179
Merit: 151

-

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:52:11 PM

Sigh, ASIC hardness has been discussed ad nauseum. It is neither possible nor desirable.
yumei (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 07:02:46 PM

I'm doing the best to answer your questions, correct your mistakes, and point out that your trolling FUD is rather ridiculous.  The crap you are spewing here has been stated and debunked hundreds of times on this forum

All I am trying is to argue that asic mining is not a good thing for the community. Its neither trolling or ridiculous. If there is any chance to get back into CPU / GPU mining it would do things better.

Thanks for the link andytoshi

Seems like they have at least the same understanding about the words I was using before and not like the ignorant guy DannyHamilton.

However, ASIC’s bring with them a risk of manufacturer centralization, such as what we
saw with Bitcoin in the early days of ASIC mining. Market forces eventually broke this
monopoly
, and one thing which sped up the process is that Bitcoin uses the
SHA2
hash-
ing algorithm, which was designed for easy development of dedicated hardware. Therefore,
relatively little startup capital is needed to develop Bitcoin ASIC’s
andytoshi

Activity: 179
Merit: 151

-

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 07:19:15 PM

Seems like they have at least the same understanding about the words I was using before and not like the ignorant guy DannyHamilton.

DannyHamilton has gone above and beyond the call of duty for a number of years now, providing detailed, thoughtful, consistently correct advice on this forum. He has a wide understanding of Bitcoin's operation and explains things in great detail, often even to users who are clearly unwilling to invest a fraction of the time reading his posts that he spends writing them. There is an overwhelming amount of repetitive and ill-advised material on this board and it handling it would be far more hopeless without him.

It is easy to become frustrated in such a situation, and also difficult to communicate tone through a text-based medium, so I hope you will give him the benefit of the doubt in future. And do not call him ignorant. That is not only untrue, but uncivil conduct. This sort of behaviour is why more knowledgable people won't take the time to participate on this board, and is detrimental to everyone.
yumei (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 07:45:35 PM

Well he might have knowledge but he is clearly ignorant, because he has his own opinion and don´t respect other kind of opinions, plus he is insulting me.

"and point out that your trolling FUD is rather ridiculous.  The crap you are spewing here has been stated and debunked hundreds of times on this forum"

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:24:34 PM

Satoshi for sure never planned asic mining. 99% of the bitcoin community would benefit when asic mining is prohibited.

Without asic mining we would never have such a bump and dump scenario we have actually. Big asic farm holder selling their bitcoins to be able to pay the electrician and to cut out competition due low efficiency of mining.

ASIC is not the problem, GPU mining would have ended up exactly the same given enough time. Mega GPU mining farms will inevitable rise.

PoW concept itself is a doomed concept.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 10:00:06 PM

DannyHamilton has gone above and beyond the call of duty for a number of years now, providing detailed, thoughtful, consistently correct advice on this forum. He has a wide understanding of Bitcoin's operation and explains things in great detail, often even to users who are clearly unwilling to invest a fraction of the time reading his posts that he spends writing them.

<clip>

Not that my opinion accounts for too much... but YES, absolutely this ^^^

At the risk of being argumentative, the problem of mining pools, or rather of poorly implemented mining pools, does exist. It's not something that I've pointed out, but rather something that gmaxwell (et al.) has pointed out many times (most recently here).

This has nothing to do with ASIC vs "ASIC-resistant", but it has everything to do with centralized mining, and the way in which most miners unfortunately choose to participate in it today.

You're welcome to propose a superior alternative, but you must back that alternative up with more that just your personal opinion.
yumei (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 10:22:04 PM

ASIC is not the problem, GPU mining would have ended up exactly the same given enough time. Mega GPU mining farms will inevitable rise.

This is exactly what I am not thinking! Just imagine GPU mining farms, even if their are farms, you can let your servers or home computer mine while using them for something else as well. You can buy GPU hardware anywhere and there is no risk that nvidia mine thereself, there is no monopol. I bet we didn´t have the low prices we have right now with GPU mining only.
yumei (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 10:30:49 PM

Isn´t it theoretically possible to build a algorithm which makes actual asic miners worthless. Some kind of a script which change itself every period of time and would require other sort of asic miner, just to prevent asic miners?
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 10:43:46 PM

Isn´t it theoretically possible to build a algorithm which makes actual asic miners worthless.

No.

An ASIC is just a computer. It's more specialized than a general-purpose computer, but in the end it's still just a computer.

Any algorithm that can be implemented in a general purpose computer can be implemented in an ASIC, there's nothing "magical" going on.

A relatively simple algorithm, like SHA-256, can be implemented in a general-purpose computer, or in an ASIC, with relatively little cost. This makes mining relatively accessible (though not necessarily profitable) to everyone.

A more complicated algorithm would take more effort to implement in a general-purpose computer, and likewise more effort to implement in an ASIC. In the beginning, this makes mining more accessible to those with general-purpose computers. If there's enough demand (if the coin in question becomes popular enough), then eventually the algorithm will be implemented in an ASIC, but due to it's complexity it will be accessible to fewer people.

In other words, the more complex the coin, the larger the start-up costs, and the less accessible mining becomes. This is exactly the opposite of what I assume is your goal.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:23:00 PM

DannyHamilton has gone above and beyond the call of duty for a number of years now, providing detailed, thoughtful, consistently correct advice on this forum. He has a wide understanding of Bitcoin's operation and explains things in great detail, often even to users who are clearly unwilling to invest a fraction of the time reading his posts that he spends writing them. There is an overwhelming amount of repetitive and ill-advised material on this board and it handling it would be far more hopeless without him.

It is easy to become frustrated in such a situation, and also difficult to communicate tone through a text-based medium, so I hope you will give him the benefit of the doubt in future. And do not call him ignorant. That is not only untrue, but uncivil conduct. This sort of behaviour is why more knowledgable people won't take the time to participate on this board, and is detrimental to everyone.

This.

If you want to discuss a technical topic, it is important to be precise. Danny is quite good at ensuring discussions are well defined and has provided a lot of useful information while others just tune out.
AniceInovation
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:51:25 PM

Is there a chance to bring back mining to the normal user now?
(Yes, very generic question, hope to have several points of view on that topic)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: