Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:29:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will Darkcoin take second place over Litecoin next bubble?  (Voting closed: November 04, 2014, 06:44:26 PM)
Yes, Darkcoin will rise to be superior. - 34 (42.5%)
No, Darkcoin will stay low and is dying. - 32 (40%)
Both, Litecoin & Darkcoin will rise at near the same rate much like NVC & LTC did last bubble. - 7 (8.8%)
Neither, Please supply why below. - 7 (8.8%)
Total Voters: 80

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Darkcoin take second place over Litecoin next bubble?  (Read 3331 times)
derpberp (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:44:26 PM

I know that Darkcoin is actually fairly far behind volume wise and probably market cap wise and every other way as well. The ONLY reason I am asking this is because, I remember the last bubbles, as bitcoin started to rise, Altcoins took off late afterwards, and people made incredible gains on random alt coins at the time.

I remember Novacoin was over Litecoin in price all the way up to like 25$ each until litecoin finally surpassed it and reached ~$50s. I know the reasoning behind the NVC rise was due to there being significantly less coins than others.

My reasoning on Darkcoin - It brings new safety features to crypto-currency and I believe the added anonymous feautures are perceived as a great asset to crypto-currency and we saw them rise to very high prices. Since this new coin actually brings something fairly new to the table (much how quark did during the boom, causing it to have a giant rise during the first weeks of its creation).

I'm definitely buying Bitcoin, at least a few thousand worth (when the time is right, the time is not now obviously but I believe it is pretty damn soon!! lol), I'm also buying some litecoin, and I'm debating on splitting the few thousand I was going to put solely into LTC and buy half LTC and half DRK - I just wanted to see how many others thought this would be a good move. I'm wanting to diversify between a few different currencies that are on the cheaper side at the moment. (Doge isn't an option maybe if it comes back down a lil later on). PPC interests me slightly as its cheap as well, but I'm thinking DRK is going to be the big mover this time (unless theres a better coin than DRK now??) LEMME KNOW Smiley TANK YEW

Thanks for all your opinions! Take care and have a nice day everyone! Best of luck to your future Bitcoin endeavors

EDIT: I know no one truly knows, I know no one has a crystal ball with all the answers. I'm just wanting a few opinions as to where DRK actually places in the Crypto Economy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 06:51:25 PM

Litecoin will continue to follow Bitcoin in price and if we get a prolonged bear market would be declared "dead". For any coin with added utility like added anonymity it has to appear necessary first (Like a demonstration of the lack of anonymity, people in jail, etc..)
Altcoins are way too risky to have right now imo.
robinwilliams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:59:38 PM

the problem with darkcoin is it's legacy of artifically pumping it's price by changing social rules of coin emission AND the masternodes AND the ring signatures.

for these reasons it will continue to erode.  likecoin has a long history and a ton of energy (PoW) behind it and will continue to stay in #2 until a coin puts as much energy (energy bills, ASIC investment, etc) in as litecoin AND has a good reason (smart blockchain or anoniminity)
derpberp (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 07:07:57 PM

Yea I can't help but agree, I figured though once BTC turned around (when ever that may be), LTC might be in the lower range of where it was prior to the last BTC bubble (around 1.5 to 2 usd per coin).

If BTC slows down its downtrend and turns around, which I'd imagine would have to happen at some point fairly soon, Would you buy LTC along with your BTC? What about any other altcoins? Or are you the type to stick to Bitcoin only? (which is probably honestly the safest move, so I definitely see why)

I can't help but feel bullish still with all the venture capitalist still lining up to join in on the fun, and big names like Paypal, Overstock, Expedia, and DISH (granted they aren't actually holding the coins, just utilizing them as a payment system, which is what they are meant to be used for anyways, to some extent). It just goes to show that the concept of Bitcoin is not only working, its flourishing, and its catching the interest of large corporations as a way to move funds from A to B without costing an Arm and a Leg. That screams to me "Get in while the little guy still can", am I wrong in thinking this way?

so ya, if BTC starts on up a rise again and we can safely declare crypto isn't going to the floor, would you then feel safer buying alts? and if so, what do you think of DRK? are there better, more anonymous, more Innovative coins now? if so, which?

I think LTC will always be number 2, so no matter what if BTC rises, LTC should too at some degree, but depending on how much is another story. It's hard to knock something out of place when its been there since day one IMO. My biggest bet is always on Bitcoin though for the time being.

Thank you for your time and input, its greatly appreciated. Have a nice evening, best of luck with profits.

@RobinWilliams

AH ok, I see, this is why I came to the big boys, I figured you guys would be able to tell me whats up with DRK and why or why not its a good idea. What is the most innovative new altcoin now? Is there anything that's come out since DRK that's a better alternative possibly?

I'm guessing I'm going to stick with my original plan of buying mostly BTC with around 30%-40% of my funds going to LTC if they get cheap enough. Smiley Worked like a charm last time and I want my crypto back. DRK has just interested me in the past, the anonymous features I figured would make it a major contender but it sounds like the devs screwed around with the confidence of the public and didn't launch it right, which I know can all but destroy a coin before it even gets started. Just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Smiley
robinwilliams

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 07:25:04 PM

AH ok, I see, this is why I came to the big boys, I figured you guys would be able to tell me whats up with DRK and why or why not its a good idea. What is the most innovative new altcoin now? Is there anything that's come out since DRK that's a better alternative possibly?

It's anybodies guess man.  I got some Moneros and BBR's because I actually believe in cryptonote and anoniminity.  They are both have negatives.

Monero is pumped by risto & friends whales (net negative).  BBR is probably developed by one of the original scammers from cryptonote team and linked to jl777's groupies.

I think litecoin might rocket up wtih the investment of ASICs but it will require some time and i'm not bought in. I'm also probably not the guy to get advice from
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:07:05 PM

Nope, in 2015 are first 3 spots taken BTC, LTC, DOGE.
Will darkcoin even see year 2016?
Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:15:28 PM

I fail to see how any anonymous coin will ever thrive. While it may be fun to mine and buy drugs with, it will be stomped into the ground by law the second it gets any traction because it is difficult to track/regulate/tax. Buying drugs is fun and all but its not enough support to rival litecoin or bitcoin.

I think the reason Darkcoin reached as high as it did is because it was the first anonymous coin and had alot of excitement behind it which drove up the price.

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
Waramp22

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:38:19 PM

I fail to see how any anonymous coin will ever thrive. While it may be fun to mine and buy drugs with, it will be stomped into the ground by law the second it gets any traction because it is difficult to track/regulate/tax. Buying drugs is fun and all but its not enough support to rival litecoin or bitcoin.

I think the reason Darkcoin reached as high as it did is because it was the first anonymous coin and had alot of excitement behind it which drove up the price.

I fail to see how Bitcoin will ever thrive. While it may be fun to mine and buy drugs with, it will be stomped into the ground by law the second it gets any traction because it is difficult to track/regulate/tax. Buying drugs is fun and all but its not enough support to rival USD or EURO.

I think the reason Bitcoin reached as high as it did is because it was the first crypto coin and had alot of excitement behind it which drove up the price.

We're not comparing BTC to USD, we are comparing DRK to BTC.

gadado

Activity: 965
Merit: 515

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:39:22 PM

I'm wanting to diversify between a few different currencies that are on the cheaper side at the moment. (Doge isn't an option maybe if it comes back down a lil later on). PPC interests me slightly as its cheap as well, but I'm thinking DRK is going to be the big mover this time (unless theres a better coin than DRK now??) LEMME KNOW Smiley TANK YEW

I am invested in DarkCoin. I am no early adopter and it doesnt makes me happy how dark coin started. Darkcoin is a pretty negative example of a launch and I see why a lot of people that missed still sees the coin in a negative light just for that.

However where people fail is that they rather complain and shout about their missed oportunity than analysing and weightening the current situation and do their investments based on that.

For a time DarkCoin was the only investment for me and I desperatly looked out at any new coin in this altcoin bubble to find any worthy company for diversification. I found none.

It changed with jl777's Supernet. Risky but very rewarding in case James delivers which unfortuntaly is really difficult to know. It's a matter of trust and you know trust is really not a good thing in crypto. I am carefully invested in SuperNET and everything that's connected to it (coins, assets, nxt etc) a lot stuff I never liked. Thats also what I see a lot do wrong. They base their investment in what they like and dislike instead in what might get value and what not. You can say I speculate on Supernet. In case it becomes real it becomes a major player and coins not connecting to it will loose in the long run.

LiteCoin has something DarkCoin still has not: Market. When you start with Cryptos the first thing you know is BitCoin the second LiteCoin.
This might change but I don't expect that to change that fast.

You know that DarkCoin offers anonymity however there is a much more important feature on it's horizon: Instant Transaction.
That is sort of a holy grail feature since it sovles one of the cryptos public acceptance issues.

There are a few point's that make it hard for crypto to find a borad band acceptance:

- The long confirmation time.
- The Gigabytes of blockchain
- The hard difficulty to convert Fiat to Crypto and Back
- The missing acceptance or even better the necessity of the coin to buy wares

So coins or systems that solves this problems is what I see will have a future.

Will Drk take second place over Litecoin?

I don't know. I don't think that this is important.

More important is does it have a bright future?
I think yes indeed it has. The development in drk is really very satisfyinga nd surpassed my expectations.

If it continues to do the right things I don't know how it can loose.

But you know in crypto everything can change really fast.

Waramp22

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:47:20 PM

We're not comparing BTC to USD, we are comparing DRK to BTC.

We're not comparing DRK to BTC, we are comparing BTC to USD.

I fail to see where anyone was putting a crypto currency up against the USD in this thread.

Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:51:06 PM

imo both will be dead by then

TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:56:56 PM

My feelings too. NXT, Bitshares or other new will probably overtake by then.

Ripple can take over anytime they want. They will announce something and by magic their marketcap will go up.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
derpberp (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:07:46 PM

A few good points definitely. I think Waramp is right probably about the regulation side of coins promising truly anonymous transactions, Though it is a very good tool for people wanting their freedom we all know (as Waramp as pointed out) that people will use them for nefarious purposes making them a major target.

I do think alot of people learned about crypto-currency through SR though sadly, not all, but quite a few. I seem to remember the motto being "a currency isn't a currency till you can buy drugs with it" during that time lol. I just figured the anonymous would get that side of the community all excited.

Now that you have pointed this out though I have a better perspective of it. I definitely don't think it's as innovative as I thought it was now. I haven't seen any coin yet that really brings something truly innovative to the table that completely makes Bitcoin obsolete. When that happens we will all know I'm sure, it will just be too good to refuse, but I honestly can't think of a single thing that I could add to Bitcoin to make it "better" to the point where Bitcoin is now obsolete.

I definitely think with all the LTC asics out we must see some action if we do indeed see another bitcoin bubble. I am unsure of what the catalyst will be, but I'm definitely giving Bitcoin a good shot at seeing it over what it is today in the future.  Though, I believe litecoin is in the same situation BTC was in 2013, people were willing to buy for investment purposes, but not many merchants were accepting yet. Its actually fairly far behind IMO, since it already has ASICS out but you can't really spend it, most exchange it for BTC after mining it as well.

Thank you Gadado, you actually answered my question on innovations that could render Bitcoin obsolete, I guess that really is the holy grail - INSTANT. D: I liked the look of Ripple - confused the hell out of me though (the exchange thing) every movement I made needed BTC, even to send my other coins, I was confused as hell. PPC has always been interesting too due to the electricity it saves. I know that has to be another side of this new magical coins innovations. Have no clue what NXT is honestly.... What's NXT all about? Does it bring anything good to the table?

Side Note: I'm thinking BTC bottom should be around 200 ish ya? lowest 170ish Probably a bounce at 266 (from last peak?) I'm just checking fib levels and past support areas. Unless Bitcoin is going all the way.... lol. theres going to be at least a good bounce some where in there. Wink

I really don't see how its going to get past 150, everyone and their mom would start buying (unless there was truly bad news out, which there isn't) There is just wayyyy too many people willing to invest into bitcoin now for them to get much lower than that, GRANTED they haven't been high for all that long but there is billions of dollars worth of industry behind BTC now (in every angle) which is the major difference for me compared to last year.

Does anyone ever pay attention to the Gox coins anymore? Are they just sitting there? None being sold? This isn't another epic stolen coin sell off is it? :3 lol (it looks more like natural ebb & flows of the market to me honestly, but it does make me wonder)
kanggoroo

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 10:24:35 PM

yes dark will take second place but only for a while , there is no promising future from both coins.
but dark has suprise me so far , maybe it will hold on for some time and can be good if more guys turn into dark community and support that to the moon
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:12:08 PM

Darkcoin Instant Transactions whitepaper - https://www.darkcoin.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/InstantTX.pdf

Shows how innovative DRK is and this is a game changer for all crypto imo.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 11:17:19 PM

+1

Litecoin's advances are moot and there is no reason for it anymore.

By 2016, the same will be said for dark coin.

A coin gains traction by tech and promise but stays around because people actually use it.

Bitcoin is the only one that has made that transition. And it's barely even doing that.

No tech and little promise for Litecoin.

Some tech but no promise from dark coin. 

Both will go down as cool alts that helped pave the way, burned brightly and faded away into 0.

Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 12:04:04 AM

Litecoin is nothing. I will never buy Litecoin again(after selling during it's last bubble at $30)

derpberp (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:01:31 AM

^ I don't know man, you might be quite upset with yourself with thinking a cheap item is now "worthless" just because its price is back down. That's kind of what people want you to think, so they can buy cheaper than you, and you'll only realize "the value is still there" after it goes $5-10+ again and you miss the wagon. Tongue. I see this as opportunity. I know for a fact LTC isn't dead lol. If Bitcoin takes off, and starts rising over 1000 again, Litecoin will NOT stay at 3-2 dollars each. That's like saying silver is dead because it hasn't reached $50 dollars since the 70s.

Just the fact that people are spending thousands to get themselves a "Powerful, Super duper LTC Mining Box" tells me that LTC is still worth the 3 dollars to mine it, possibly even at a loss due to bullish miners holding their coins (probably as they have no other options at this point lol).

You can take $1,000 and buy 3.3 BTC - If prices reach old peak of 1200 (without margin trading) would yield $2,960 Profit total. If you took that same $1,000 and purchased 285.7 LTC @ 3.5 each and held till a peak of 45 (which isn't even the full $50 peak of last bubble) would of yielded $11,857 Profit.

LTC has much more potential profit and it would not be wise to ONLY buy BTC for that reason. I'm a gambling man, I'm willing to bet that LTC follows BTC next bubble. There is just no way with all the ASIC's coming out and all the hype around Charlie and Litecoin for them to just sit there while bitcoin sores to $1,000. That just doesn't seem plausible. Even right now as we bounce at 300, LTC is looking for a reason to jump $1.

Interesting reads on DRK - Thank you for posting. I was thinking that DRK might follow suit as well because its a few dollars per coin now. I noticed it is basically prices right under LTC so that is why I asked the question will DRK take over LTC next bubble? I figured we might actually see it due to innovation and people getting excited. I wanted to know if I should put some into DRK as well as LTC Smiley Have a nice night guys great posts
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 09:17:08 AM

Litecoin's advances are moot and there is no reason for it anymore.

By 2016, the same will be said for dark coin.

I doubt it.

It takes a (very) long time for such a fundamentally unique and significant anonymity approach such as the one taken by Darkcoin to mature to the extent that it's ready for production use. In many cases I agree with you - the passage of time can render most coins obsolete after a year or so.

But not so in this case. The exact opposite is true.

There are few projects in the crypto world that have enjoyed the kind of sustained attention and precision work that has gone into Darkcoin's design and testing. Apart from anything else, their 2-tier approach is starting to look like it was a masterstroke because the trump card that Darkcoin has to play is it's compatibility with the huge and growing infrastructure that is the Bitcion retail and financial services infrastructure. Add to that the fact that the network recently passed 1000 masternodes which give this coin a new dimension to feature provision that's unique and very powerful.

By 2016 Bitcoin's transparent blockchain that gave last night's "bitstamp whale" celebrity status will be sticking out like a sore thumb. By that time also, there'll only be 1 serious top-10 marketcap anonymous blockchain technology with 2 years of solid track record behind it.

eahmadov

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 09:45:43 AM

Just like any of you guys, I also don't have a crystal ball but I will state my opinion about some obvious issues:

I am surprised that Darkcoin value not only survived the recent BTC crash well, its price was even rising slowly. In light of recent problems (Russian bitcoin ban rumors, harsh US regulations, Coinbase restriction of gambling etc) we saw that there is a growing demand for a functioning anonymous coins in the market. Darkcoin dev team delivered all of the promised features on time so far and now working on others (instant transactions etc). Additionally, the number of total coins are fewer compared to other altcoins and plus soon almost half of the Darkcoins will be stuck in masternodes. So to answer you question, Yes, all these factors, might take the coin to the moon in next bubble.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: