Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:04:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium 2.0 HD - Welcome to the future  (Read 16580 times)
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 03:42:54 PM

Does the HD wallet use compressed keys? As in, the private keys start with the letters L or K?

Breadwallet doesn't seem to expose the private keys, only the twelve word seed generator. My installation's current (public) address starts with 16E. This is the second address it generated. The first (which received some funds) started with 1PL.

The first address showing on Mycelium (using the same 12 word seed generator) starts with 1EJ.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 02:49:01 AM

Does the HD wallet use compressed keys? As in, the private keys start with the letters L or K?

Breadwallet doesn't seem to expose the private keys, only the twelve word seed generator. My installation's current (public) address starts with 16E. This is the second address it generated. The first (which received some funds) started with 1PL.

The first address showing on Mycelium (using the same 12 word seed generator) starts with 1EJ.

breadwallet isn't using the same BIP32 tree structure as mycelium, so the backups are not compatible. I have heard that hive is using the same structure as breadwallet, though I don't recommend typing your backup phrase into multiple wallets and devices. Security of your wallet seed is absolutely critical. Every wallet and device you use it with increases the chances that one of them has a security hole or is infected with malware. breadwallet is built to a very high standard of security. Your seed is only stored in the iPhone secure enclave which is hardware encrypted and even hardened against EM side-channel attacks. Other wallets decrypt your keys in the browser with javascript, and other platforms are far more susceptible to malware.
ffe

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 02:57:05 AM

breadwallet isn't using the same BIP32 tree structure as mycelium, so the backups are not compatible. I have heard that hive is using the same structure as breadwallet, though I don't recommend typing your backup phrase into multiple wallets and devices. Security of your wallet seed is absolutely critical. Every wallet and device you use it with increases the chances that one of them has a security hole or is infected with malware. breadwallet is built to a very high standard of security. Your seed is only stored in the iPhone secure enclave which is hardware encrypted and even hardened against EM side-channel attacks. Other wallets decrypt your keys in the browser with javascript, and other platforms are far more susceptible to malware.

Ah.. Thanks for the clarification.

As for your other comments, I agree, but I absolutely need to know I CAN go to another platform if I have to. Preferably many platforms. With paper cold store I can, but with 12 word seeds I still can't.

There is nothing wrong with trying to restore backups on another platform when the wallet has trivial amounts in it. That way I know I can do it if I have to some day. For example, what if Breadwallet is pulled from the AppStore?
voisine

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 03:45:39 AM

Ah.. Thanks for the clarification.

As for your other comments, I agree, but I absolutely need to know I CAN go to another platform if I have to. Preferably many platforms. With paper cold store I can, but with 12 word seeds I still can't.

There is nothing wrong with trying to restore backups on another platform when the wallet has trivial amounts in it. That way I know I can do it if I have to some day. For example, what if Breadwallet is pulled from the AppStore?

Fair enough. As I mentioned I've been told hive is using the same structure, but I haven't tried it personally. Apple hasn't ever removed apps from individuals phones even if the app is pulled from the app store, but it's always good to be sure. If anything like that ever happened I would quickly release a tool to get your funds out, and it's open source as well and using the default BIP32 tree described in the BIP32 examples, so any developer could do this.

I also plan to build an android version of breadwallet using the trusted platform module to attain a similar level of security as the iOS version.
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 01:59:11 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2014, 04:58:19 PM by birr

All this confusion about incompatible wallets calls for a look at bip 39.  The process starts with finding 128 bits of entropy ("ENT") and builds from there.  The bip sets out some fairly simple steps for generating a wordlist from ENT.  So far so good.
Then instead of creating the wallet seed from ENT, the simplest and best course, it goes like this

To create a binary seed from the mnemonic, we use the PBKDF2 function with a mnemonic sentence (in UTF-8 NFKD) used as the password and the string "mnemonic" + passphrase (again in UTF-8 NFKD) used as the salt. The iteration count is set to 2048 and HMAC-SHA512 is used as the pseudo-random function. The length of the derived key is 512 bits (= 64 bytes).

These steps are unnecessary, create extra work, and may lead to complications.
Encrypting your wordlist is all for the best, but please don't interpose that encryption between the originating entropy pool and the master seed/private key of the HD wallet.  Basically you are encrypting entropy.  It doesn't work like that.  It works like this:

The entropy is the seed.  
Use it:  entropy --> seed
ENT --> sha256 hash --> master privkey
voisine

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 05:17:30 PM

All this confusion about incompatible wallets calls for a look at bip 39.  The process starts with finding 128 bits of entropy ("ENT") and builds from there.  The bip sets out some fairly simple steps for generating a wordlist from ENT.  So far so good.
Then instead of creating the wallet seed from ENT, the simplest and best course, it goes like this

To create a binary seed from the mnemonic, we use the PBKDF2 function with a mnemonic sentence (in UTF-8 NFKD) used as the password and the string "mnemonic" + passphrase (again in UTF-8 NFKD) used as the salt. The iteration count is set to 2048 and HMAC-SHA512 is used as the pseudo-random function. The length of the derived key is 512 bits (= 64 bytes).

These steps are unnecessary, create extra work, and may lead to complications.
Encrypting your wordlist is all for the best, but please don't interpose that encryption between the originating entropy pool and the master seed/private key of the HD wallet.  Basically you are encrypting entropy.  It doesn't work like that.  It works like this:

The entropy is the seed.  
Use it:  entropy --> seed
ENT --> sha256 hash --> master privkey

This was added so wallets could generate the seed even if they don't have or can't hold every word list, like trezor. I agree that it's less than ideal.
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 12:16:31 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 03:26:25 PM by birr

This was added so wallets could generate the seed even if they don't have or can't hold every word list, like trezor. I agree that it's less than ideal.

It would have worked about as well to encode the 128 bits of needed entropy in a string of 22 base64 or base58 characters.  There's your backup.  Easy to decode and get the entropy binary back, which can act as the seed for the wallet.  
And there's nothing to stop any wallet designer, who so wishes, from encoding the binary in a word list per bip39.  For interoperability among different wallets with different dictionaries, use the 22 character string... any wallet, even one as limited as trezor, is sure to have enough memory and processing power to decode its own word list!

Bip39 was kludged into the wallet architecture between the entropy and the master key -- where it isn't needed, and can only cause problems.  Will we be stuck with this contraption in every wallet from now on?

Just in case I'm not getting through:

Whoever came up that whole mess described in the section of the mediawiki titled "From mnemonic to seed" was wasting everybody's time.  The idea that you have to go to such lengths to avoid storing a library of bip39 dictionaries is an illusion.  Merely store your own dictionary; when you need the binary, decode the wordlist.  Simple as that!

HD wallet designers have followed bip39 without giving it a moment's thought or considering maybe the bip's badly designed. But it is the worst kind of bad design; it's a strategic error not a coding blunder, so people operating on autopilot don't see it. Then it gets coded into wallets, and you're stuck with it forever.  And we'll have all kinds of headaches making HD wallets compatible.

I'm staying with legacy accounts, for now.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:11:02 AM

The transactions tab used to show the to/from address(es) and, more importantly, any custom labels. What happened or where do I need to look now?

For example, I get dividends from a particular BTC address, so it was always handy to look at the list of transactions and see "xyz div" under the relevant payments.
Is there any easy way of scanning transactions (i.e. where you see the custom labels created for specific addresses)?
puck2

Activity: 234
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:34:05 PM

I have Mycelium Wallet 2.1.0

I can't figure out how to not reuse the receiving address... The same one always shows up...
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:29:59 PM

If it's an HD account, the receiving address will change automatically once you receive coins to it.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:17:25 AM

I would also like to request that Mycelium add support for the Trezor hardware wallets with the use of an On-the-Go cable. I believe the Trezor team has already put some code on GitHub as an example of how to incorporate it into multiple wallets. Thanks for your consideration.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
trasla

Activity: 707

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 09:56:46 AM

I would also like to request that Mycelium add support for the Trezor hardware wallets with the use of an On-the-Go cable. I believe the Trezor team has already put some code on GitHub as an example of how to incorporate it into multiple wallets. Thanks for your consideration.

Sure, no problem.
Watch out for a beta release soon Smiley
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:59:24 PM

Sure, no problem.
Watch out for a beta release soon Smiley

Awesome! Thanks for being so quick and willing to implement support for the trezor Cheesy

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 08:06:21 PM

Awesome! Thanks for being so quick and willing to implement support for the trezor Cheesy
It's your lucky day. I received an email today (or was it yesterday) about the new beta version:

Hey folks, we just pushed 2.3.0-BETA1 to play store and github. Main feature is full Trezor support, you can cold spend from Trezor or import accounts when connecting the Trezor with an otg cable.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 12:13:51 PM

Just noticed the following in MyCelium, not sure whether it's a bug or not.

The total in the HD account section and the total for the other accounts show 0 BTC yet there is some dust in there. Total at the bottom displays correctly.

If I change it to display in USD then the total show up correctly in each section.

EDIT: See the image is not showing.

On the Account page of MyCelium I have my HD account and some other accounts. The total for each section shows up as 0 BTC even though there are balances on those addresses which are shown under each address. The total at the bottom shows up correctly as x.xxx BTC. When changed to USD all totals shows up correctly.
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 05:44:32 PM

I'm moving from iOS to Android and looking at this wallet.

Does it support finger print readers in addition to Pins?

Hugroll

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 05:50:17 PM

looks great, can we expect this coming out for iOS soon? as a iphone user im sad i wont get to experience this .
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 05:58:46 PM

looks great, can we expect this coming out for iOS soon? as a iphone user im sad i wont get to experience this .

There is a Mycellium wallet in the App Store. Give it a try. Although, I heard some bad things about it (bugs) when it first came out so I stuck with Blockchain.info and Breadwallet on iOS.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 06:58:15 PM

There is a Mycellium wallet in the App Store. Give it a try. Although, I heard some bad things about it (bugs) when it first came out so I stuck with Blockchain.info and Breadwallet on iOS.

It's still a bit cranky now by the sounds of it. Best to steer clear and stick the proven ones.
Hugroll

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 01:33:19 AM

ya i tried using it, its really not for me. all it can do is send/receive and backup/recover. it doesnt have the goodies that the android version has like importing or exporting keys or importing hd wallets
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: