Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:57:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: lost password on blockchain.info wallet  (Read 26643 times)
findftp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 06:13:44 PM

nobody can reset the password for you.
I was not asking for it, please read.

If you cannot find the password, you will lost those coins.
Wrong. I was asking for brute forcing, there is a very good chance to get them back.

there's a constant debate between online vs offline wallets ..
Not here.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
findftp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 06:18:19 PM

Wait, you're not a native English speaker?? Your English is much better than many (most?) native speakers I've seen on this board...
thnx Wink

Sorry, I actually don't know that much about JtR... but I think that the --wordlist option just takes the input file and uses each line as a single password, so nothing at all like btcrecover's token file. JtR can make all sorts of alterations to each line, but I don't know much about making JtR construct whole passwords the way btcrecover does.
They indeed work different. I'm now experimenting with both applications.

You can however use both programs together: you can run btcrecover with the --listpass option (and with no --wallet), and it will generate and output whole passwords to test, one per line, and then you can use JtR (with it's better cracking speed) to actually try the passwords. I imagine there's a way for JtR to accept passwords directly from it's stdin, so you could pipe the output of btcrecover directly to JtR, e.g.

Code:
btcrecover.py --token tokens.txt --listpass | john --options...
Sounds like a great idea! Best of both worlds!
I'm not in a hurry and I will experiment a bit with both.
I keep you updated about the result.
aliveonearth

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 08:36:47 AM

Otherwise, I'd recommend btcrecover (course I'm biased since I'm the dev of that one...).

I was able to get this going with some tinkering

firstly I just got the wallet.json.aes  data by plugging this into Firefox after changing the wallet ID 

https://blockchain.info/wallet/9bb4c672-563e-4806-9012-a3e8f86a0eca?format=json

The python orignal command just created an empty file.

What came back didn't work right away with btcrecover.
It was looking for a version tag in the json. not sure if blockchaing has changed the format again ?

I commented out the btcrecover code to read in only the json data in payload into the data.

The script then ran for about an hour but no luck.
Not sure if this is a workable approach. ?

Jackson86

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 05:57:48 PM

if you still  have email  maybe can reset the passworld?

edit ; don't forget backup wallet forever

robmob

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Respect All Fear None

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 05:59:47 PM

Good luck if you do find a way please let me know as I have 2 accounts with lost funds as I forgot or misplaced the password and pass phrase.

Crypto Currency Communityhttp://cryptoinfinity.com

Donate BTC:15YMgV1nb97bpRqBT7CEf6ryo37gqeeRpL
findftp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 06:31:26 PM

Otherwise, I'd recommend btcrecover (course I'm biased since I'm the dev of that one...).

I was able to get this going with some tinkering

firstly I just got the wallet.json.aes  data by plugging this into Firefox after changing the wallet ID 

https://blockchain.info/wallet/9bb4c672-563e-4806-9012-a3e8f86a0eca?format=json

The python orignal command just created an empty file.

What came back didn't work right away with btcrecover.
It was looking for a version tag in the json. not sure if blockchaing has changed the format again ?

I commented out the btcrecover code to read in only the json data in payload into the data.

The script then ran for about an hour but no luck.
Not sure if this is a workable approach. ?

Create a new blockchain account with a new password.
Repeat the steps you did again
See if you can crack the wallet with this new known password.
If it takes too long, make your wordlist easier.
(or just put the known new password there right away)

Just to check if your setup works.

For some reason the python script doesn't work for me anymore (on my current laptop)
urllib2 is not recognized and urllib3 gives a problem as well.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 06:36:54 PM

if you still  have email  maybe can reset the passworld?

Please don't give advice if you have no idea what you are talking about and are just making up imaginary solutions in your own mind with no understanding of how any of this works.

You'll only waste your own time and confuse the newbies.
findftp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 07:36:33 PM

I had this thread referenced for future use because I liked the console method of extracting the aes.json file from blockhain.info.
However, when I now try it, it doesn't work anymore.
I'm almost sure it worked on the same machine I'm using right now (linux mint 17)
But somehow, the command gives an error which I cannot solve.
I spend the last 1,5 hour searching for a solution but I'm probably too stupid to solve it myself.
Let's say I have other skills.

However, I would like to have this problem fixed for future use.
When I now use the command
Code:
python -c "import urllib2,json;f=urllib2.urlopen('https://blockchain.info/wallet/9bb4c672-563e-4806-9012-a3e8f86a0eca?format=json');print json.loads(f.read())['payload']" > wallet.aes.json

I get a whole bunch of errors which I did not have when this thread started.
The errors are:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 127, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 410, in open
    response = meth(req, response)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 523, in http_response
    'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 448, in error
    return self._call_chain(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 382, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 531, in http_error_default
    raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

Is there someone who can help? I already tried to remove the single quote (') because I read somewhere that that might be the problem.
But then I get:
Code:
satoshi@NakaMoto ~ $ python -c "import urllib2,json;f=urllib2.urlopen(https://blockchain.info/wallet/9bb4c672-563e-4806-9012-a3e8f86a0eca?format=json);print json.loads(f.read())['payload']" > wallet.json.aes
  File "<string>", line 1
    import urllib2,json;f=urllib2.urlopen(https://blockchain.info/wallet/9bb4c672-563e-4806-9012-a3e8f86a0eca?format=json);print json.loads(f.read())['payload']
                                               ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I also tried to reformat the command into python3 code which uses urllib.request instead of urllib2 but ran into a whole lot of other problems.

I just don't get it why it used to work, but now not anymore.
Probably some updated python library?
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 09:38:41 PM

To both aliveonearth and findftp:

Blockchain.info has been somewhat improving their (formerly very lax) security as of late (make no mistake: this is a very welcome change!), so it's not surprising that the Python one-liner isn't working. The wallet format hasn't changed (not enough to affect btcrecover, but the defaults have changed enough to affect JtR). On the other hand they are being more strict about who(/what) can and can't download the encrypted wallet files.

If you already have a wallet.aes.json file, btcrecover will still work.

If you don't, getting the wallet.aes.json file might be more difficult (and may be impossible if you don't have access to the email address associated with the BC.i account).

I'll post back here once I have more info (probably not for a day or two though).
masterspirit

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 03:52:15 AM

wow this is a bit overwhelming.. since blockchain is pretty simple to setup.. but now im reconsidering my options.

like incase if I did lose my password I would be in the same mess as this.. and im not computer savvy enough to follow this python language etc.
findftp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:06:04 AM

To both aliveonearth and findftp:

Blockchain.info has been somewhat improving their (formerly very lax) security as of late (make no mistake: this is a very welcome change!), so it's not surprising that the Python one-liner isn't working. The wallet format hasn't changed (not enough to affect btcrecover, but the defaults have changed enough to affect JtR). On the other hand they are being more strict about who(/what) can and can't download the encrypted wallet files.

If you already have a wallet.aes.json file, btcrecover will still work.

If you don't, getting the wallet.aes.json file might be more difficult (and may be impossible if you don't have access to the email address associated with the BC.i account).

I'll post back here once I have more info (probably not for a day or two though).

Thank you for your very helpful reply!
Now I don't have to put time into it anymore knowing that it's useless Smiley
Ignacia

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2014, 10:30:22 AM

Just the same problem,  is  there any  way to resolve my problem here...
Forgot  my blockchain password, but already import private keys to multibit.qt also I still  have Identifier, Google Authy, Recovery BTC  wallet/Passphrase.
I  only need  Password. how can I access to my account again?
btchris

Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 11:58:09 PM

findftp and aliveonearth:

This is certainly the ugliest python one-liner I've ever written... but here it is anyways Roll Eyes

Code:
python -c "import os.path as p,urllib2 as u,json;n='wallet.aes.json';assert not p.exists(n),n+' exists';i=raw_input('ID: ');r='https://blockchain.info/wallet';o=u.build_opener(u.HTTPCookieProcessor());d=0;exec '''while d==0:\n try:d=json.load(o.open(r+'/%s?format=json'%i)).get('payload')\n except u.HTTPError as e:raw_input(e.read()+'\x5cn\x5cnRetry...')''';m=d or raw_input('2FA: ');d=d or o.open(r,'method=get-wallet&guid=%s&payload=%s&length=%d'%(i,m,len(m))).read();open(n,'wb').write(d)"

1. Copy and paste the one-liner into a terminal (command prompt). In Windows, you'll probably need to add "C:\Python27\" to the beginning.
2. After pressing Enter, it will ask you for your wallet ID.
3. If you have an email address associated with your account, it will display a (very long) error message which starts with this:
Code:
{"initial_error":"Authorization Required. Please check your email."
    You'll need to follow the directions in the email you receive from BC.i and click on the "Approve" button. Only after doing so, press the Enter key (at the "Retry..." prompt in the terminal window).
4. If you have two-factor authorization enabled on your account, you'll receive a prompt asking for your 2FA code. (If it's an email or an SMS 2FA, you should receive it from BC.i shortly).
5. Once the above is complete, a wallet.aes.json file will be created in the current directory (the script will fail with an error message at step 2 if such a file already exists).

Let me know if this works (or doesn't)!
findftp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:19:05 PM

findftp and aliveonearth:

This is certainly the ugliest python one-liner I've ever written... but here it is anyways Roll Eyes
It's not ugly, it's genious!

Code:
python -c "import os.path as p,urllib2 as u,json;n='wallet.aes.json';assert not p.exists(n),n+' exists';i=raw_input('ID: ');r='https://blockchain.info/wallet';o=u.build_opener(u.HTTPCookieProcessor());d=0;exec '''while d==0:\n try:d=json.load(o.open(r+'/%s?format=json'%i)).get('payload')\n except u.HTTPError as e:raw_input(e.read()+'\x5cn\x5cnRetry...')''';m=d or raw_input('2FA: ');d=d or o.open(r,'method=get-wallet&guid=%s&payload=%s&length=%d'%(i,m,len(m))).read();open(n,'wb').write(d)"

1. Copy and paste the one-liner into a terminal (command prompt). In Windows, you'll probably need to add "C:\Python27\" to the beginning.
2. After pressing Enter, it will ask you for your wallet ID.
3. If you have an email address associated with your account, it will display a (very long) error message which starts with this:
Code:
{"initial_error":"Authorization Required. Please check your email."
    You'll need to follow the directions in the email you receive from BC.i and click on the "Approve" button. Only after doing so, press the Enter key (at the "Retry..." prompt in the terminal window).
4. If you have two-factor authorization enabled on your account, you'll receive a prompt asking for your 2FA code. (If it's an email or an SMS 2FA, you should receive it from BC.i shortly).
5. Once the above is complete, a wallet.aes.json file will be created in the current directory (the script will fail with an error message at step 2 if such a file already exists).

Let me know if this works (or doesn't)!

I don't have an active blockchain.info address anymore, but I tested it untill the emal part with a wallet ID posted earlier in this thread.
Since I already have the wallet of my friend I don't need it urgently but I will archive this for future purpose.
I'm still in the process of bruteforcing the wallet, but my friend not really seems to care about his 0,2 BTC because I did not hear from him anymore regarding that point.
I'll bet he'll come back when price is in 4 digits again Grin

Thanks for the help, you'll probably help someone else with the onliner
shadowmoon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

ActionCrypto.com ★ Bitcoin Binary Options

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:55:39 PM

Better writting them in any Dairy for future Safety

jolskeboll

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 07:49:13 AM

If so, knowing the public key as well, I can try to brute force the password or am I missing something?
The wallet contains 0.22 BTC
To brute-force the password, you'll need to know as much as possible about what the password is likely to be.  Then you'll need to use the identifier to get a copy of the encrypted wallet.  Then you can attempt to decrypt the wallet with the various possible passwords until you find one that successfully decrypts it.

Do you happen to know the encryption method used to encrypt the wallet?
edit: it is aes, just found out.

Where is the wallet stored when accessing the wallet through a browser in windows?
blockchain.info stores it in their database.  They send a copy to your browser when you supply the identifier.

So I fill in the identifier and look in my browser cache?
edit: if I save the page, I see a lot of stuff, but not a file called "wallet.aes.json"

Thanks for the detailed answer btw.

Just curious, but didn't you mention it was your friend that forgot the password?

Twitter: Apis Apis @infinitypump
findftp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 09:30:31 AM

If so, knowing the public key as well, I can try to brute force the password or am I missing something?
The wallet contains 0.22 BTC
To brute-force the password, you'll need to know as much as possible about what the password is likely to be.  Then you'll need to use the identifier to get a copy of the encrypted wallet.  Then you can attempt to decrypt the wallet with the various possible passwords until you find one that successfully decrypts it.

Do you happen to know the encryption method used to encrypt the wallet?
edit: it is aes, just found out.

Where is the wallet stored when accessing the wallet through a browser in windows?
blockchain.info stores it in their database.  They send a copy to your browser when you supply the identifier.

So I fill in the identifier and look in my browser cache?
edit: if I save the page, I see a lot of stuff, but not a file called "wallet.aes.json"

Thanks for the detailed answer btw.

Just curious, but didn't you mention it was your friend that forgot the password?

True, but he gave the identifier to me so that I could try and restore his wallet.
Now we have the wallet file but did not crack the wallet yet.
I did some testing with bruteforce software in which I was able to crack test wallets.
We did not continue with cracking his wallet because otherwise he had to compose a list with all the passwords he had every used because he was pretty sure the password should be something which is for a great part something he used before.

He'll probably think twice when the amount in his wallet is able to himself a house or something.

jonnytracker

Merit: 261

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 06:51:02 AM

the back up passphrase can recover password I think
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: