Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:18:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Promote Bitcoin!  (Read 1043 times)
Fuzzy (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 01:25:53 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2012, 11:55:23 PM by Fuzzy

Repost from here

I got this idea from a contest a local radio station had a few years ago.

We (a mod) start a wallet into which anyone (who wants to promote bitcoin) can contribute a however many BTC they can.

This huge pool of BitCoins will be the prize and incentive for people to participate.

In order to win, you have to spread the word about BitCoin int the most spectacular way you possibly know how.

Streak with bodypaint, write a viral song, give out free pancakes with the BTC logo, whatever stunning and creative way you can think of, then post a video or any other form of proof you think will suffice. Bonus points if local media picks it up  Grin

The ever growing pot of BTCs will encourage people to pull off ever grander schemes, and community then votes on the most impressive entry.

This would be a great and cost effective way to get BitCoin into the spotlight and get the whole community involved

PS: I got dibs on flying a giant UFO shaped BitCoin blimp  Wink

EDIT: There are no "dibs" on anything here, if you copy someone's idea, but you get more exposure, then that's just that much better for bitcoin. The community decides the winner anyway.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 12:27:04 PM

I SO WANT to etch a bitcoin logo into the las vegas desert.

Fuzzy (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 02:21:18 PM

I honestly thought this forum would be all over this idea. I mean, what better way to draw interest, investors, and attention to BitCoin?

Everyone is up in arms over the stagnant BTC price, but when it come to getting people off of the computer and doing something proactive, suddenly no one cares.  Sad
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 02:31:38 PM

The best idea to promote bitcoin is for people to use the currency and extend the network effect of Bitcoin. How many people have you asked to hold bitcoin while they pay some debt for you? Going out to lunch with a co worker? need something interesting to talk about? it takes 30 seconds to setup a wallet, offer to give them $5-10 in Bitcoin for if they pay your lunch tab. Now they have bitcoin. encourage them to do the same to one of their friends. you tell two friends, they tell two friends, etc.. we could make bitcoin ubiquitous and skyrocket in a month if we all just did this.

Fuzzy (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 01:13:20 AM

The best idea to promote bitcoin is for people to use the currency and extend the network effect of Bitcoin. How many people have you asked to hold bitcoin while they pay some debt for you? Going out to lunch with a co worker? need something interesting to talk about? it takes 30 seconds to setup a wallet, offer to give them $5-10 in Bitcoin for if they pay your lunch tab. Now they have bitcoin. encourage them to do the same to one of their friends. you tell two friends, they tell two friends, etc.. we could make bitcoin ubiquitous and skyrocket in a month if we all just did this.

Trying to explain BitCoin to someone while throwing free bitcoins at them is futile. You sound like a crazy person, and they do not value something they get for free.

But if they start seeing this "bitcion" everywhere, the get curious and pursue it of their own free will. It becomes their own "discovery" and their own undertaking.

Guess it's a waste of time either way
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 01:15:42 AM

Kinda frustrating to respond to people when they make shit up about what you say...

At what point did I say "throwing free bitcoins at them", because I distinctly recall saying "if they pay your lunch tab".

Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 01:17:14 AM

And none of this has been futile for me... I've successfully got 3 people at my work, within the first two weeks of me being there, to accept Bitcoins - including the mailroom guy who has already let me send two personal items, paying for my postage with Bitcoin to him.

Fuzzy (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 01:44:09 AM

Kinda frustrating to respond to people when they make shit up about what you say...

At what point did I say "throwing free bitcoins at them", because I distinctly recall saying "if they pay your lunch tab".

Sorry, wasn't paying attention, skimmed over that bit as this whole thing went from awesome to huge flop.

Should've said that I sound crazy trying to explain bitcoin to people, get the same looks you'd give to an insurance salesman. Perhaps Mr.Falkvinge was right, it's just not time for mainstream adoption.
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 01:50:12 AM

Sorry, wasn't paying attention, skimmed over that bit as this whole thing went from awesome to huge flop.

Should've said that I sound crazy trying to explain bitcoin to people, get the same looks you'd give to an insurance salesman. Perhaps Mr.Falkvinge was right, it's just not time for mainstream adoption.

Haha.. it's all good.. I get that look that they think I'm crazy all the time. Especially talking to a gold bug. You might as well be a purple martian. But Bitcoin isn't going to be mainstream by everyone saying "perhaps it's not ready for mainstream". Each of us need to make it happen one new Bitcoiner at at time.

Fuzzy (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:42:33 PM

Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 12:08:28 AM

LOL.. I know someone that works there and access to a can of spray paint. Problem is, I don't think it would make it to the pad with the B on it.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 12:29:02 AM

I tell bitcoin to EVERY person I see, even random strangers.  I know people who run radio shows on a popular radio station here in town and I might get some airtime to talk about bitcoin, i'd say its a 99% chance that's going down.  I also am related to TWO people who have a TV show on BNN doing finances and whatnot, it's called 'Market Call', a zillion people watch it and they're my 2nd cousins!  I'm trying to get ahold of them so they can mention bitcoin on BNN!!!
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 02:02:32 PM

Someone who has connections in Greece should attempt to introduce it to the media there... lots of $ withdrawn from the greek banks and currency uncertainty ought to spell opportunity for BTC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: