Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:46:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The time of Dogecoin is nigh  (Read 2903 times)
rebel24 (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:08:55 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2014, 07:26:52 AM by rebel24

Just sayin.
The network is as strong (actually stronger) than litecoin's now.
87k members.
Consistently doing about 1/4 - 1/3 the transaction volume of bitcoin.
And dogecoin will move up far faster than bitcoin can. ($27m market cap vs $5b).

And not to mention, bitcoin's max block size of 1mb is nearly reached (currently around 300kb per block), Dogecoin's is 10kb (largely because it gets 10 blocks for every 1 of bitcoin's (1 minute blocks). This is an important issue, Gavin (a lead bitcoin dev) was suggesting a hardfork just for this.

I'm a value investor, if I felt there was greater value in bitcoin (especially in the time frame of the next year or 2), I would prefer to hold bitcoin.

I used to hate dogecoin too, basically just spiting them for being a "meme coin" (who would take a meme coin seriously right?)
But in the past year, the community has proven to be extremely friendly, and extremely effective at coming together and doing things larger than bitcoin (nascar, olympics, doge4water, etc).

And just to boot, Dogecoin has been around nearly a year now and has passed the test of time.

Do yourself a favor and research it, look at the fundamentals, seriously. do it.

Edit: one final thought. I think in the future, we will be able to chose what currencies we use based on what we support and believe. (and perhaps most coins will be issued by companies/organizations, and we chose to use their currency based on its values matching ours). Anyway the point is, Dogecoin represents kindness, friendliness, tipping/sharing. It's the type of community I want to be involved and, and I do believe, that many in the future will want to be involved with too as soon as they discover it (when it starts taking off next time and attracts a large amount of attention).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 07:17:47 AM

Don't they spit out like 10 billion dog coins per hour?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:18:14 AM

Dogecoin's inflation at this point is lower than bitcoin's.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:26:48 AM

For a shitcoin Dogecoin is doing quite well. IMO this coin has only one advantage and that is good marketing.
With hipsters and appleFanboyz, nowadays image is better than function.

Some points I noticed

Dogecoin is #5 on coinmarketcap vs Litecoin. Litecoin is 5x higher.
Dogecoin Hashrate 903 GH/s vs Litecoin 1.15 TH/s. Litecoin is 20% higher.
Dogecoin is 9% less profitable to mine than LTC.
etc...

And....

This thread should be in "Alternate Cryptocurrencies"....

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:31:34 AM

For a shitcoin Dogecoin is doing quite well. IMO this coin has only one advantage and that is good marketing.

Some points I noticed

etc...

And....

Dogecoin is actually merge mined with litecoin. So anyone mining scrypt for just litecoin, will be missing out if they are not merge mining for doge.
Yeah litecoin's price is 5x higher, which shouldnt be the case anymore seeing as how our community is stronger, and our network is stronger than litecoin's (we can merge mine with any scrypt coin, they cant (unless they hard fork, which will be difficult for them to do).

I posted this thread here because its a speculative thread, and my target audience is this group "speculation," not the yik yak of a million other alt coins talking about non-speculative topics.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:38:25 AM

Some points I noticed

etc...

And....

Dogecoin is actually merge mined with litecoin. So anyone mining scrypt for just litecoin, will be missing out if they are not merge mining for doge.
Yeah litecoin's price is 5x higher, which shouldnt be the case anymore seeing as how our community is stronger, and our network is stronger than litecoin's (we can merge mine with any scrypt coin, they cant (unless they hard fork, which will be difficult for them to do).

I posted this thread here because its a speculative thread, and my target audience is this group "speculation," not the yik yak of a million other alt coins talking about non-speculative topics.

Dogecoin has a strong community that's for sure Smiley

Ok so merge-mining is a plus point...  If I am correct this means that

You believe: People want Dogecoin, and mining LTC is an added bonus.
Maybe the world believes: Dogecoin is a bonus system for mining LTC so while it's around I will mine LTC through Dogecoin until it is worth shit.

If the second applies Dogecoin will forever be bound to the LTC and breaking loose will be a problem.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:49:04 AM

Some points I noticed

etc...

And....

Maybe the world believes: Dogecoin is a bonus system for mining LTC so while it's around I will mine LTC through Dogecoin until it is worth shit.

If the second applies Dogecoin will forever be bound to the LTC and breaking loose will be a problem.

For most people litecoin was something to do with their GPUs when Bitcoin mining went to ASICs. Coins that use them are scavengers. Litecoin is the coyote, Doge is the vulture, the rest are vermin, insects, and bacteria.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:06:06 AM

Dogecoin is not bound to litecoin, it is only bound to the scrypt algorithm and offers opportunity to any major coin mining the scrypt algorithm. A better way of looking at it is- every smart pool that mines for BTC, also mines for namecoin. Why? They have nothing to lose and gain a little extra.
The same applies for mining Dogecoin while mining for litecoin.

One important note that (that favors Dogecoin) is that, if Dogecoin ever supercedes litecoin, litecoins hashrate can fall and it can die out. This can never happen to Dogecoin as long as there are scrypt miners (as anyone mining script can also try to solve Dogecoin's block and thereby also be mining Doge, increasing its hashrate and securing its network)
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:07:42 AM

For most people litecoin was something to do with their GPUs when Bitcoin mining went to ASICs. Coins that use them are scavengers. Litecoin is the coyote, Doge is the vulture, the rest are vermin, insects, and bacteria.

At this point ASIC miners have dominated scrypt. You can't mine litecoin or Dogecoin with a GPU miner anymore the same way you can't mine bitcoin with them.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:15:45 AM

At this point ASIC miners have dominated scrypt. You can't mine litecoin or dogecoin with a GPU miner anymore the same way you can't mine bitcoin with them.
Ah that's right. The broken promises of scrypt.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 08:15:56 AM

What is the maximum amount of dogcoins there will ever be?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:16:06 AM

Dogecoin is not bound to litecoin, it is only bound to the scrypt algorithm and offers opportunity to any major coin mining the scrypt algorithm. A better way of looking at it is- every smart pool that mines for BTC, also mines for namecoin. Why? They have nothing to lose and gain a little extra.

One important note that (that favors Dogecoin) is that, if Dogecoin ever supercedes litecoin, litecoins hashrate can fall and it can die out. This can never happen to Dogecoin as long as there are scrypt miners (as anyone mining script can also try to solve Dogecoin's block and thereby also be mining Doge, increasing its hashrate and securing its network)

All the scrypt coins are slowly fading away. I will be surprise if litecoin or doge coin can keep the top market cap chart in 12 months.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:18:26 AM

The colored coins (including xcp created) will soon fill the charts. 2015 will be the year of colored coins.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:31:29 AM

....And not to mention, bitcoin's max block size of 1mb is nearly reached (currently around 300kb per block)....

Stopped reading here. If for you 300kb is nearly 1MB then we have a problem! Stop wasting people's time with useless posts.

rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:39:43 AM

....And not to mention, bitcoin's max block size of 1mb is nearly reached (currently around 300kb per block)....

Stopped reading here. If for you 300kb is nearly 1MB then we have a problem! Stop wasting people's time with useless posts.

Blockchain size is on a steady trend of tripling about every year. For reference, a year ago it was 100kb. Based on this trend, in about a year, bitcoin will be in a serious situation (as during peak times, block size's can very well be maxed out), unless it does a hardfork. This is a serious concern thats why Gavin brought it up and suggested a hardfork.

http://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/size-btc.html
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:43:22 AM

All the scrypt coins are slowly fading away. I will be surprise if litecoin or doge coin can keep the top market cap chart in 12 months.

Scrypt coin's hashrates are increasing at around the same rate as bitcoin's, I don't see any fading away on this chart do you?:
http://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/hashrate-ltc.html
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:44:18 AM

There is no limit as there is a fixed ~5% inflation rate per year, which it pretty much its rate of inflation now.
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:46:37 AM

The colored coins (including xcp created) will soon fill the charts. 2015 will be the year of colored coins.

I see what your saying and I definitely do think that time is coming. But alas, I want to keep this conversation focused on Dogecoin and bitcoin to avoid getting too off topic.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 09:04:21 AM

+1

Dogecoin will overtake Litecoin's market cap in the next 6 months.
nuff

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 09:06:27 AM

It's unlimited which means it's no different than your traditional fiat money which is inflationary

I see what your saying and I definitely do think that time is coming. But alas, I want to keep this conversation focused on Dogecoin and bitcoin to avoid getting too off topic.

dodge is no different than any other altcoins, be it sha2/scrypt/custom-coded, it that it is still and will forever be an altcoin. In the world of cryptocurrency, it's just Bitcoin (the first, the one that created the term cryptocurrency) and altcoins (the rest, cryptocurrency clones that will always be based back to Bitcoin). Unless someone can come up with a form of decentralized money that is not categorized as cryptocurrency, then there is a difference and a distinction. Any other coins that uses the Bitcoin solution of trust (the blockchain, the public ledger solution) is just copycats of Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: